Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Advice for a Canadian moving to England?

Advice for a Canadian moving to England?

Old Apr 5th 2010, 6:16 pm
Forum Regular

dannyg1001 is a name known to alldannyg1001 is a name known to alldannyg1001 is a name known to alldannyg1001 is a name known to alldannyg1001 is a name known to alldannyg1001 is a name known to alldannyg1001 is a name known to alldannyg1001 is a name known to alldannyg1001 is a name known to alldannyg1001 is a name known to alldannyg1001 is a name known to all
Default Re: Advice for a Canadian moving to England?

Originally Posted by Elvira
Seems you need to hear good things about the UK!

Here you go:

http://talk.uk-yankee.com/index.php?topic=3338.0

(Lots of other useful stuff on that forum too.)

What a great list... only read the first couple of pages and I think i want to go home
Old Apr 5th 2010, 6:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

Here you go:

Taken from the above forum - things someone (from the US) said they would miss about the UK if/when they left :

"English TV.
Little old men in tweed coats riding their bikes along the street.
Narrow boats on the canal.
London.
Lush cosmetics shop.
Watching little kids in cute English school uniforms file along the sidewalk to school.
The cathedrals.
The museums.
Market Day.
The slower pace of life.
Being so unique in my neighborhood.
Proper english breakfasts.
Political flexibility.
The Guardian!!!
Being surrounded by gorgeous, varied accents.
Sunday roasts.
Pubs.
Strong, local beers.
Women in hats at weddings.
Non old-lady Bingo.
The countryside.
Sunsets over the Fens.
Little pheasants running all around the fields.
Ancient houses all over the place.
Preserved historical buildings.
Pub quizzes.
Christmas carol services in a church older than my country.
Gargoyles.
Flowers blooming in winter.
Charity shops.
English Maternity care.
Documentaries galor on TV.
BBC Radio 4.
Good public transportation.
Closeness to Europe.
The cool antique shops.
Having a different perspective on US goings-on.
Greener greens than I've ever seen before.
Green in the winter, too.
Ghost walks & stories in local pubs, houses, etc.
The friendly relationship between mainstream medicine and non-traditional medicine.
The dressier type of clothing available.

There's millions more, but that's just off the top of my head..."

Cute list though ...
Old Apr 5th 2010, 6:58 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ann m
The friendly relationship between mainstream medicine and non-traditional medicine.
What, like the chiropractors suing the arse off Simon Singh for daring to say that they promote bogus cures for various childhood ailments? Glad to see that he won his appeal against the ludicrous ruling by David Eady, but it's nuts to suggest there's a friendly relationship between quack medicine and anything sane when the first recourse of the quacks is to the courts rather than to bother providing any substantive evidence that their quackery is anything other than bullshit.

<can you tell that I have (indirect) experience of the damage caused by dodgy chiropractics?>
Old Apr 5th 2010, 7:44 pm
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Oakvillian
What, like the chiropractors suing the arse off Simon Singh for daring to say that they promote bogus cures for various childhood ailments? Glad to see that he won his appeal against the ludicrous ruling by David Eady, but it's nuts to suggest there's a friendly relationship between quack medicine and anything sane when the first recourse of the quacks is to the courts rather than to bother providing any substantive evidence that their quackery is anything other than bullshit.

<can you tell that I have (indirect) experience of the damage caused by dodgy chiropractics?>
I'm with you on this.
Old Apr 5th 2010, 7:47 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

I was very pleased about that result. Bloody quacks using the libel laws instead of clinical trials; it should never have got as far as it did.
Old Apr 5th 2010, 7:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

izzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond repute

I really would recommend a visit before you decide. If you have people you could stay with in the UK, then you just need to track down a cheap flight.. don't Canadian Affair do cheapish summer flights from Halifax-London? It depends a lot on how you feel about the place, and what the area you are thinking of going to is like. Whilst there are some lovely bits of the UK, England isn't all the Lake District, just as Scotland isn't all the Highlands. We live in Glasgow and are very keen to get to Nova Scotia. To us, Britain feels cramped, grey, expensive (for houses), selfish. I was reading the local headlines on my phone today whilst waiting for a train, and there were 3 murders/attempted murders in the Glasgow area on Saturday. One a father and son attacked by a man with a sword, son killed, father in hospital. OK so I'm going off tangent, and before anyone leaps to the UK's defence, that is just how we feel about the place! And that is Glasgow, no idea what Bedford is like. But it does show it depends very much where you live - and where you can afford to live. I love the Highlands, but I can't live there because there is no work. In Nova Scotia I can live in the countryside but not be far from a town.

I guess it depends very much on the sort of person you are, what sort of things you like to do etc. Like people moving from the UK to Canada; some go and love it, some go and come back. You might love it, or you might not. I can't help but think it's quite different from Nova Scotia... but then my goal is to get to Nova Scotia so of course I'm going to say that

I've rambled quite a bit... when I probably could have just said - I really think you should try and visit first before you decide, if you can. Good luck whatever you decide
Old Apr 5th 2010, 8:02 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alan2005
I was very pleased about that result. Bloody quacks using the libel laws instead of clinical trials; it should never have got as far as it did.
It's that fool Eady. Why the hell is he still a serving judge - he must have broken all records by now for the number of decisions overturned by higher courts.

Bit of a threadjack, though - apologies to OP.
Old Apr 5th 2010, 8:04 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

It's that fool Eady. Why the hell is he still a serving judge - he must have broken all records by now for the number of decisions overturned by higher courts.

Bit of a threadjack, though - apologies to OP.
What a w***er.
Old Apr 5th 2010, 9:32 pm

lmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond repute

My wife is a cradle. We moved from Vancouver to the UK then to Toronto. Although she didn't seem that keen when we were in the UK she now quite misses the place and we are playing around with a possible move back to London. I quite like the feeling of living in 1978/9 (kind of like just before Thatcher) again but not sure how long the novelty will last.
Old Apr 5th 2010, 10:12 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lmartin999
My wife is a cradle. We moved from Vancouver to the UK then to Toronto. Although she didn't seem that keen when we were in the UK she now quite misses the place and we are playing around with a possible move back to London. I quite like the feeling of living in 1978/9 (kind of like just before Thatcher) again but not sure how long the novelty will last.
The Winter of Discontent, Callaghan and Healey, The Jags, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, Anna Ford , Keith Moon Lager 35p a pint and king size 555's Ahh the good days.
Old Apr 5th 2010, 10:39 pm
Displaced Disgrace

Joe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond repute

I met my wife 15 years ago in London (England). She was born & raised in N.S. & had lived in the U.K. for 5 years when I met her. We married, had 2 kids & 18 months ago we moved here to N.S. so that my wife could be near her aging Mum as she had recently suffered a stroke.

Whilst there is somewhat of a culture shock (& I feel the "Maritime Welcome" is a slogan dreamed up by advertisers) the girls & I are doing pretty well with finding our feet. My wife, on the other hand, has been finding it very difficult & would move back to the U.K. in a heartbeat.. She summed it up recently by saying she missed "home"... It's going to be different for everyone.

I will say that moving countries is a test of even the most solid relationship, if you feel yours may not be up to the challenge you may well be right..
Old Apr 5th 2010, 10:42 pm

lmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
The Winter of Discontent, Callaghan and Healey, The Jags, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, Anna Ford , Keith Moon Lager 35p a pint and king size 555's Ahh the good days.
Don't forget closed shops. This is the first time in my life I have ever worked in one. Just like an episode of On the Buses only not funny.

(I should add I don't work for the TTC)
Old Apr 5th 2010, 10:57 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by oconnorkerry
Bedford. Probably not much better than Bradford from what I hear. I'm not in the business of tit-waving but I might take to getting extremely drunk.
One thing leads to another...
Old Apr 6th 2010, 11:08 am
Just Joined

oconnorkerry is just really niceoconnorkerry is just really niceoconnorkerry is just really niceoconnorkerry is just really niceoconnorkerry is just really niceoconnorkerry is just really niceoconnorkerry is just really niceoconnorkerry is just really niceoconnorkerry is just really niceoconnorkerry is just really niceoconnorkerry is just really nice

Here you go:

That's a great list. I've been to that forum but have never seen that thread, only the homesickness ones. All of those things sound inviting.
Old Apr 6th 2010, 11:11 am
Just Joined

oconnorkerry is just really niceoconnorkerry is just really niceoconnorkerry is just really niceoconnorkerry is just really niceoconnorkerry is just really niceoconnorkerry is just really niceoconnorkerry is just really niceoconnorkerry is just really niceoconnorkerry is just really niceoconnorkerry is just really niceoconnorkerry is just really nice

Originally Posted by fledermaus
Then head off to Wells-Next-the-Sea in north Norfolk. Buy a Magnum (this is an icecream bar) and sit on the beach to eat it. It's not huge cliffs and waves but it is lovely.

You can also get to Cambridge easily, Milton Keynes is great for shopping, theatres, cinema. They have an indoor ski slope, real snow and cold stuff. Bedford has windsurfing, boating, rowing, golf, bloody golf everywhere. Try not to live in the town if you can. Also avoid Kempston. There are nice spots in both places but it can be rough.

The indoor ski slope sounds like fun, lol. It would be ironic for me to go there since we haven't been skiing here in the past three years and there are two outdoor slopes within driving distance. Will definitely visit Wells-Next-the-Sea, what a name. That's one thing I noticed and love about England - the place names!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.