British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   Advice on 4X4 lease and types. (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/advice-4x4-lease-types-792999/)

delsol79 Apr 10th 2013 3:33 am

Re: Advice on 4X4 lease and types.

Originally Posted by cjones (Post 10650506)
They are. And there is. ;)... It's a contradictory effect to that which the was initially intended. It happens all the time in marketing. A product/service marketed to a higher demographic inevitably appeals to lower groups also. Making what was once exclusive common place, so no longer as appealing to the original target group. (Think Burberry).

Totally agree with your point and the classic example of Burberry but that is still a different issue and discussion from whether all boy racers are chavs. They are not - posh boy racers just race their parents expensive German cars round the streets rather than a Vauxhall Corsa :p

Tony_Tiger Apr 10th 2013 3:50 am

I dont know anything about the lease.
But before you jump into a European. Check out the other brands you can get here like Acura, and Infinity. You might change your mind.

delsol79 Apr 10th 2013 4:19 am

Originally Posted by Tony_Tiger (Post 10650519)
But before you jump into a European. Check out the other brands you can get here like Acura, and Infinity. You might change your mind.

Or you might just realise with resentment that most of the models are just rebadged Honda and Nissan models with a BMW price tag ;)

I love Jap cars but have hated how cars that were "normal" to me like the Honda Accord is badged an Acura TSX and given a premium price.

dbd33 Apr 10th 2013 12:08 pm

Originally Posted by delsol79 (Post 10650509)
Totally agree with your point and the classic example of Burberry but that is still a different issue and discussion from whether all boy racers are chavs. They are not - posh boy racers just race their parents expensive German cars round the streets rather than a Vauxhall Corsa :p

Are the Arab kids racing Ferraris around Knightsbridge chavs or does wealth and being foreign exclude them?

cheeky_monkey Apr 10th 2013 12:26 pm

Originally Posted by delsol79 (Post 10650542)
Or you might just realise with resentment that most of the models are just rebadged Honda and Nissan models with a BMW price tag ;)

I love Jap cars but have hated how cars that were "normal" to me like the Honda Accord is badged an Acura TSX and given a premium price.

too true..i dont like the fact many Acuras are Hondas in Europe and cost loads of cash...infinity might be worth a shout..but they haven't updated their models for a few years now though.

cjones Apr 10th 2013 8:18 pm

Originally Posted by dbd33 (Post 10651194)
Are the Arab kids racing Ferraris around Knightsbridge chavs or does wealth and being foreign exclude them?

Elaborating on a concept of yours from another thread. Maybe they could be said to have attained Chavness by proxy? ;)

Shard Apr 10th 2013 9:17 pm

Originally Posted by dbd33 (Post 10651194)

Good point! Lucky sods.

jamesmc Apr 10th 2013 9:24 pm

My GMC Sierra 4x4 5.3 v8 extended cab goes through gas at the rate o 14-17 mpg , not pushing hard though!
Salt &grit not used out here in the sticks..touch o gravel at corners though.

haggis88 Apr 11th 2013 12:23 am

Originally Posted by R I C H (Post 10649496)
I think you're over-egging things somewhat. Leaving glow plugs for several minutes will soon kill your battery, and there's no need to leave a diesel running for half an hour before driving it in the winter. A block heater just makes cranking easier on battery and engine.

Diesel has additives that help prevent the effect of cold weather on its viscosity.

the only thing i'm really exaggerating is the "couple of mins" for the Vento, it just felt like an eternity if you were in a rush :lol: my friends Pug 306 D-Turbo was the same

Like i say, my knowledge on diesel is very little...but my next door neighbour for example is out at 6am starting his 3500 Sierra, and he leaves at 6.30 the same as i do!

one of my work colleagues starts his F350 a good 30 mins before leaving work in the winter, and it sounds like a skeleton having a wank in a biscuit tin while it warms up haha

it would make sense to me, that in this advanced age of fuel technologies that diesel would have such additives that it wouldn't freeze in the cold temps.

So for example, if i was to possibly purchase this TDI RAM1500, i wouldn't have to plug it in any more than i've been plugging in my unleaded Honda?

cjones Apr 11th 2013 12:46 am

Originally Posted by haggis88 (Post 10652570)

...one of my work colleagues starts his F350 a good 30 mins before leaving work in the winter, and it sounds like a skeleton having a wank in a biscuit tin while it warms up haha...

Poetry.

bats Apr 11th 2013 12:53 am

Originally Posted by cjones (Post 10652213)
Elaborating on a concept of yours from another thread. Maybe they could be said to have attained Chavness by proxy? ;)

Chavness = vulgarity. As flashy displays of wealth are vulgar then they are indeed chavs.

dbd33 Apr 11th 2013 1:12 am

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by jamesmc (Post 10652318)
My GMC Sierra 4x4 5.3 v8 extended cab goes through gas at the rate o 14-17 mpg , not pushing hard though!
Salt &grit not used out here in the sticks..touch o gravel at corners though.

That'll be very similar to this truck. Not one that was able to go up our driveway.

Tony_Tiger Apr 11th 2013 4:30 am

LOL. To an extent yes. I meant more of the Acura MDX. Its not quite the same as the CRV..;)

Im not a fan of Japanese, but I drove from Golden BC to Calgary in the MDX and I was rather impressed.
My sister had the Nissan Armada. Not as luxurious/Prestige as BMW but I found it a great workhorse for everyday stuff, kids, moving, shopping etc. I loved it.

I like European vehicles but I have had to admit over the years here that the Japanese vehicles are rather nice and cheaper to run/maintain.

angelic applicant Apr 11th 2013 5:53 pm

the only thing i'm really exaggerating is the "couple of mins" for the Vento, it just felt like an eternity if you were in a rush :lol: my friends Pug 306 D-Turbo was the same

Like i say, my knowledge on diesel is very little...but my next door neighbour for example is out at 6am starting his 3500 Sierra, and he leaves at 6.30 the same as i do!

one of my work colleagues starts his F350 a good 30 mins before leaving work in the winter, and it sounds like a skeleton having a wank in a biscuit tin while it warms up haha

it would make sense to me, that in this advanced age of fuel technologies that diesel would have such additives that it wouldn't freeze in the cold temps.

So for example, if i was to possibly purchase this TDI RAM1500, i wouldn't have to plug it in any more than i've been plugging in my unleaded Honda?

Pretty concerned that for the last god knows how long, somewhere in your house u have a sexually frustrated person(once was alive) imprisoned in a tin!!!! How else would you know how that sounds:rofl:

cheeky_monkey Apr 11th 2013 6:30 pm

i had 306 d turbo back in the day..went like shit of a shovel was only 90bhp but loved it..you would literally wait 2 seconds for the start...in fact i drove nothing but diesels in the UK preferred them to petrol cars..the glow plug thing is no longer in use..im pretty sure the 306 was the last car i had with them and that was back in 1997..my last car i owned in England was an Audi a3 sport with a 2litre 170 bhp diesel and would do 0-60 in 6 secs. My Ford Edge has a 3.5litre 285 bhp petrol engine and does 0 - 60 in 6 days give or take a few hours.:thumbdown:

Almost Canadian Apr 11th 2013 6:52 pm

Originally Posted by cheeky_monkey (Post 10654039)
i had 306 d turbo back in the day..went like shit of a shovel was only 90bhp but loved it..you would literally wait 2 seconds for the start...in fact i drove nothing but diesels in the UK preferred them to petrol cars..the glow plug thing is no longer in use..im pretty sure the 306 was the last car i had with them and that was back in 1997..my last car i owned in England was an Audi a3 sport with a 2litre 170 bhp diesel and would do 0-60 in 6 secs. My Ford Edge has a 3.5litre 285 bhp petrol engine and does 0 - 60 in 6 days give or take a few hours.:thumbdown:

How often are you chased in your vehicles?

cheeky_monkey Apr 11th 2013 6:58 pm

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian (Post 10654070)
How often are you chased in your vehicles?

i only ever get chased by women not other vehicles but that's for another thread..im not a petrol head or boy racer i just like a clean get away from the lights and for the quick overtake of lorries etc esp going up hills.

cheers Apr 11th 2013 7:43 pm

Originally Posted by cheeky_monkey (Post 10654039)

So when I go back to live in England do you suggest a Audi Diesel, Volkswagon Golf diesel or a Skoda diesel???

Petrol is 139 ppl
Diesel is 146 ppl (per the AA)

mohtechnix Apr 11th 2013 7:45 pm

Originally Posted by cheeky_monkey (Post 10654078)
i only ever get chased by women not other vehicles but that's for another thread..im not a petrol head or boy racer i just like a clean get away from the lights and for the quick overtake of lorries etc esp going up hills.

Shall I start another thread for you to elaborate on this :D

cheeky_monkey Apr 11th 2013 8:00 pm

Originally Posted by cheers (Post 10654135)
So when I go back to live in England do you suggest a Audi Diesel, Volkswagon Golf diesel or a Skoda diesel???

Petrol is 139 ppl
Diesel is 146 ppl (per the AA)

they are the same diesel units..all are owned by VW.

Atlantic Xpat Apr 16th 2013 11:28 am

I clicked through an ad for the 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee this morning and note that from the 2014 MY one is able to purchase a 3.0L Diesel GC boasting upto 40mpg (allegedly). That sounds attractive but a quick play of the build and price tool seems to indicate that the diesel is only available on the "Overland" model and higher and has a $5k premium over the gas. All in all a diesel GC becomes a $60k+ vehicle which is ridiculously expensive to buy/finance. (The Jeep pricing calculator defaults to a purchase term of 96 months or 8 years which is a crazy time period to finance a vehicle over IMHO.)

In comparison, five years or so ago, I leased a diesel Liberty for 3 years for about $400 a month. Now that was a good deal!

nldfc Apr 16th 2013 1:28 pm

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat (Post 10661885)
I clicked through an ad for the 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee this morning and note that from the 2014 MY one is able to purchase a 3.0L Diesel GC boasting upto 40mpg (allegedly). That sounds attractive but a quick play of the build and price tool seems to indicate that the diesel is only available on the "Overland" model and higher and has a $5k premium over the gas. All in all a diesel GC becomes a $60k+ vehicle which is ridiculously expensive to buy/finance. (The Jeep pricing calculator defaults to a purchase term of 96 months or 8 years which is a crazy time period to finance a vehicle over IMHO.)

In comparison, five years or so ago, I leased a diesel Liberty for 3 years for about $400 a month. Now that was a good deal!

I really hope you leased that for your wife rather than yourself Ax ;)

cheers Apr 16th 2013 1:43 pm

I take it you no longer have it?

Atlantic Xpat Apr 16th 2013 1:51 pm

Originally Posted by nldfc (Post 10662094)
I really hope you leased that for your wife rather than yourself Ax ;)

No, it was mine. Not a bad vehicle at all until it started to go wrong.

Originally Posted by cheers (Post 10662132)
I take it you no longer have it?

See above. I leased for three years. When the warranty was done, so was I. In that three years I had major suspension components replaced, EGR valve on the diesel etc etc. It was a Jeep. Build quality is not their strong point.;)

mohtechnix Apr 16th 2013 3:33 pm

Do you mean from May 2014 or 2013?

Novocastrian Apr 16th 2013 3:47 pm

Originally Posted by mohtechnix (Post 10662348)

He means the 2014 Model Year.

I've got a diesel in France (not a truck). It's a 5 year old Citroen 4 with a 1.6l motor. I've been getting 5.5 l/100Km (~50 miles per imperial gallon) and over 1000 km on a tankful which costs ~$C85.

No brainer really.

Atlantic Xpat Apr 16th 2013 4:16 pm

Originally Posted by mohtechnix (Post 10662348)

Manufacturers model years usually start 6 months before the calendar year. So a 2014 my vehicle should be available in the summer.

cheers Apr 16th 2013 4:33 pm

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat (Post 10662433)
Manufacturers model years usually start 6 months before the calendar year. So a 2014 my vehicle should be available in the summer.

My 2013 is almost a year. June.

JonboyE Apr 16th 2013 4:49 pm

Then isn't the sensible thing to do is to buy the Accord? A premium car at an everyday price. Leave the Acura to people who need to be seen driivng something expensive

haggis88 Apr 16th 2013 11:18 pm

the NA Accord has slightly different styling, i think that's the only difference...i personally prefer the TSX styling to the Accord

the Euro Accord is exactly the same as the TSX, just with Honda badges

when you start delving into which car is badged as which for different markets, you get some really odd combos!

Like this bad boy:
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-CjzjkTNhxo...+crossroad.jpg

yep, a Disco with Honda Badges made for the Far Eastern market hahah