British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   Advice on 4X4 lease and types. (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/advice-4x4-lease-types-792999/)

JonboyE Apr 9th 2013 5:49 pm

Re: Advice on 4X4 lease and types.

Originally Posted by mohtechnix (Post 10649408)
:rofl: What's your obsession with Asian people and X6? Do I sense jealousy or envy?:) Perhaps Asians are well off to be able to afford one of them, even though you think they are ridiculously expensive.

In some Asian cultures ostentatious display of wealth is accepted. If you don’t have a lot of wealth to display ostentatiously then driving an obviously expensive car is the next best thing.

mohtechnix Apr 9th 2013 9:15 pm

Originally Posted by JonboyE (Post 10649633)
In some Asian cultures ostentatious display of wealth is accepted. If you don’t have a lot of wealth to display ostentatiously then driving an obviously expensive car is the next best thing.

Baseless, hearsay, ill-founded....shall I go on? Still find it laughable why anyone will associate specific demographics with certain make of cars.

R I C H Apr 9th 2013 9:22 pm

Originally Posted by mohtechnix (Post 10650036)
Baseless, hearsay, ill-founded....shall I go on? Still find it laughable why anyone will associate specific demographics with certain make of cars.

You might wish to know that the poster who's opinion you're decrying has an Asian other half.

I was a marketing consultant for a number of years on behalf of several premium brand automotive manufacturers. You might find it laughable, but demographics have a very important role to play in vehicle branding and promotion, just like any other product.

cjones Apr 9th 2013 10:16 pm

Originally Posted by R I C H (Post 10650053)
You might wish to know that the poster who's opinion you're decrying has an Asian other half.

I was a marketing consultant for a number of years on behalf of several premium brand automotive manufacturers. You might find it laughable, but demographics have a very important role to play in vehicle branding and promotion, just like any other product.

The thing is, people are aware of the distinct demographic categories, but refuse to believe they apply to them... A view, which ironically, is promoted as another function of marketing - to make everyone feel special.

delsol79 Apr 9th 2013 10:18 pm

Have you considered a lease take-over company such as:

http://www.leasebusters.com/en/default.asp

That way you do not have the long term risk if things did not work out on the work permit.

Also I agree in the most part that a front wheel drive car is fine in winter if good winter tyres but I did have issues a couple of times this winter in ice on hills where our SUV with decent all-seasons didn't skip a beat. Though the front-wheel drive car is definitely the more fun car to drive in winter :)

R I C H Apr 9th 2013 10:25 pm

Originally Posted by delsol79 (Post 10650151)
Have you considered a lease take-over company such as:

http://www.leasebusters.com/en/default.asp

He may have the same issue - credit history, or lack thereof.

Originally Posted by delsol79 (Post 10650151)
Though the rear-wheel drive car is definitely the more fun car to drive in winter :)

Amended for accuracy. :)

R I C H Apr 9th 2013 10:32 pm

Originally Posted by cjones (Post 10650144)
The thing is, people are aware of the distinct demographic categories, but refuse to believe they apply to them... A view, which ironically, is promoted as another function of marketing - to make everyone feel special.

And of course over time categories can change, outside of manufacturers control or influence. Look at something like the Subaru Impreza, initially revered by enthusiasts as a rally car for the road, to live out their Colin McRae fantasies, while still ferrying kids to school. Affordable performance with legitimate motorsport provenance. Once the cars had changed hands a few times and were the affordable choice of boy racers that wanted baked bean can exhausts, noisy dump valves and Kenwood decals in the rear windows, the image shifted to something shadier and less desirable.

cjones Apr 9th 2013 10:45 pm

Originally Posted by R I C H (Post 10650179)
And of course over time categories can change, outside of manufacturers control or influence. Look at something like the Subaru Impreza, initially revered by enthusiasts as a rally car for the road, to live out their Colin McRae fantasies, while still ferrying kids to school. Affordable performance with legitimate motorsport provenance. Once the cars had changed hands a few times and were the affordable choice of boy racers that wanted baked bean can exhausts, noisy dump valves and Kenwood decals in the rear windows, the image shifted to something shadier and less desirable.

True. This could henceforth be referred to as "The chav paradox". ;)

Shard Apr 9th 2013 10:47 pm

Originally Posted by cjones (Post 10650200)
True. This could henceforth be referred to as "The chav paradox". ;)

Except that not all boy racers are chavs...and there's no real paradox... :confused:

cjones Apr 10th 2013 3:27 am

Originally Posted by Shard (Post 10650203)
Except that not all boy racers are chavs...and there's no real paradox... :confused:

They are. And there is. ;)... It's a contradictory effect to that which the was initially intended. It happens all the time in marketing. A product/service marketed to a higher demographic inevitably appeals to lower groups also. Making what was once exclusive common place, so no longer as appealing to the original target group. (Think Burberry).

delsol79 Apr 10th 2013 3:33 am

Originally Posted by cjones (Post 10650506)
They are. And there is. ;)... It's a contradictory effect to that which the was initially intended. It happens all the time in marketing. A product/service marketed to a higher demographic inevitably appeals to lower groups also. Making what was once exclusive common place, so no longer as appealing to the original target group. (Think Burberry).

Totally agree with your point and the classic example of Burberry but that is still a different issue and discussion from whether all boy racers are chavs. They are not - posh boy racers just race their parents expensive German cars round the streets rather than a Vauxhall Corsa :p

Tony_Tiger Apr 10th 2013 3:50 am

I dont know anything about the lease.
But before you jump into a European. Check out the other brands you can get here like Acura, and Infinity. You might change your mind.

delsol79 Apr 10th 2013 4:19 am

Originally Posted by Tony_Tiger (Post 10650519)
But before you jump into a European. Check out the other brands you can get here like Acura, and Infinity. You might change your mind.

Or you might just realise with resentment that most of the models are just rebadged Honda and Nissan models with a BMW price tag ;)

I love Jap cars but have hated how cars that were "normal" to me like the Honda Accord is badged an Acura TSX and given a premium price.

dbd33 Apr 10th 2013 12:08 pm

Originally Posted by delsol79 (Post 10650509)
Totally agree with your point and the classic example of Burberry but that is still a different issue and discussion from whether all boy racers are chavs. They are not - posh boy racers just race their parents expensive German cars round the streets rather than a Vauxhall Corsa :p

Are the Arab kids racing Ferraris around Knightsbridge chavs or does wealth and being foreign exclude them?

cheeky_monkey Apr 10th 2013 12:26 pm

Originally Posted by delsol79 (Post 10650542)
Or you might just realise with resentment that most of the models are just rebadged Honda and Nissan models with a BMW price tag ;)

I love Jap cars but have hated how cars that were "normal" to me like the Honda Accord is badged an Acura TSX and given a premium price.

too true..i dont like the fact many Acuras are Hondas in Europe and cost loads of cash...infinity might be worth a shout..but they haven't updated their models for a few years now though.