Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Advice on 4X4 lease and types.

Advice on 4X4 lease and types.

Old Apr 16th 2013, 11:28 am
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice on 4X4 lease and types.

I clicked through an ad for the 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee this morning and note that from the 2014 MY one is able to purchase a 3.0L Diesel GC boasting upto 40mpg (allegedly). That sounds attractive but a quick play of the build and price tool seems to indicate that the diesel is only available on the "Overland" model and higher and has a $5k premium over the gas. All in all a diesel GC becomes a $60k+ vehicle which is ridiculously expensive to buy/finance. (The Jeep pricing calculator defaults to a purchase term of 96 months or 8 years which is a crazy time period to finance a vehicle over IMHO.)

In comparison, five years or so ago, I leased a diesel Liberty for 3 years for about $400 a month. Now that was a good deal!
Old Apr 16th 2013, 1:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

nldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
I clicked through an ad for the 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee this morning and note that from the 2014 MY one is able to purchase a 3.0L Diesel GC boasting upto 40mpg (allegedly). That sounds attractive but a quick play of the build and price tool seems to indicate that the diesel is only available on the "Overland" model and higher and has a $5k premium over the gas. All in all a diesel GC becomes a $60k+ vehicle which is ridiculously expensive to buy/finance. (The Jeep pricing calculator defaults to a purchase term of 96 months or 8 years which is a crazy time period to finance a vehicle over IMHO.)

In comparison, five years or so ago, I leased a diesel Liberty for 3 years for about $400 a month. Now that was a good deal!
I really hope you leased that for your wife rather than yourself Ax
Old Apr 16th 2013, 1:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

I take it you no longer have it?
Old Apr 16th 2013, 1:51 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nldfc
I really hope you leased that for your wife rather than yourself Ax
No, it was mine. Not a bad vehicle at all until it started to go wrong.

Originally Posted by cheers
I take it you no longer have it?
See above. I leased for three years. When the warranty was done, so was I. In that three years I had major suspension components replaced, EGR valve on the diesel etc etc. It was a Jeep. Build quality is not their strong point.
Old Apr 16th 2013, 3:33 pm
Forum Regular

mohtechnix is an unknown quantity at this point

Do you mean from May 2014 or 2013?
Old Apr 16th 2013, 3:47 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mohtechnix

He means the 2014 Model Year.

I've got a diesel in France (not a truck). It's a 5 year old Citroen 4 with a 1.6l motor. I've been getting 5.5 l/100Km (~50 miles per imperial gallon) and over 1000 km on a tankful which costs ~$C85.

No brainer really.
Old Apr 16th 2013, 4:16 pm
Slightly Canadian

Originally Posted by mohtechnix

Manufacturers model years usually start 6 months before the calendar year. So a 2014 my vehicle should be available in the summer.
Old Apr 16th 2013, 4:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Manufacturers model years usually start 6 months before the calendar year. So a 2014 my vehicle should be available in the summer.
My 2013 is almost a year. June.
Old Apr 16th 2013, 4:49 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by delsol79
Or you might just realise with resentment that most of the models are just rebadged Honda and Nissan models with a BMW price tag

I love Jap cars but have hated how cars that were "normal" to me like the Honda Accord is badged an Acura TSX and given a premium price.
Then isn't the sensible thing to do is to buy the Accord? A premium car at an everyday price. Leave the Acura to people who need to be seen driivng something expensive
Old Apr 16th 2013, 11:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

haggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond repute

the NA Accord has slightly different styling, i think that's the only difference...i personally prefer the TSX styling to the Accord

the Euro Accord is exactly the same as the TSX, just with Honda badges

when you start delving into which car is badged as which for different markets, you get some really odd combos!

Like this bad boy:

yep, a Disco with Honda Badges made for the Far Eastern market hahah