Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Advice on 4X4 lease and types.

Advice on 4X4 lease and types.

Old Apr 9th 2013, 5:49 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice on 4X4 lease and types.

Originally Posted by mohtechnix
What's your obsession with Asian people and X6? Do I sense jealousy or envy? Perhaps Asians are well off to be able to afford one of them, even though you think they are ridiculously expensive.
In some Asian cultures ostentatious display of wealth is accepted. If you don’t have a lot of wealth to display ostentatiously then driving an obviously expensive car is the next best thing.
Old Apr 9th 2013, 9:15 pm
Forum Regular

mohtechnix is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by JonboyE
In some Asian cultures ostentatious display of wealth is accepted. If you don’t have a lot of wealth to display ostentatiously then driving an obviously expensive car is the next best thing.
Baseless, hearsay, ill-founded....shall I go on? Still find it laughable why anyone will associate specific demographics with certain make of cars.
Old Apr 9th 2013, 9:22 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute
Cool Re: Advice on 4X4 lease and types.

Originally Posted by mohtechnix
Baseless, hearsay, ill-founded....shall I go on? Still find it laughable why anyone will associate specific demographics with certain make of cars.
You might wish to know that the poster who's opinion you're decrying has an Asian other half.

I was a marketing consultant for a number of years on behalf of several premium brand automotive manufacturers. You might find it laughable, but demographics have a very important role to play in vehicle branding and promotion, just like any other product.
Old Apr 9th 2013, 10:16 pm
BEd Enthusiast

cjones has a reputation beyond reputecjones has a reputation beyond reputecjones has a reputation beyond reputecjones has a reputation beyond reputecjones has a reputation beyond reputecjones has a reputation beyond reputecjones has a reputation beyond reputecjones has a reputation beyond reputecjones has a reputation beyond reputecjones has a reputation beyond reputecjones has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by R I C H
You might wish to know that the poster who's opinion you're decrying has an Asian other half.

I was a marketing consultant for a number of years on behalf of several premium brand automotive manufacturers. You might find it laughable, but demographics have a very important role to play in vehicle branding and promotion, just like any other product.
The thing is, people are aware of the distinct demographic categories, but refuse to believe they apply to them... A view, which ironically, is promoted as another function of marketing - to make everyone feel special.
Old Apr 9th 2013, 10:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

delsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud of

Have you considered a lease take-over company such as:

http://www.leasebusters.com/en/default.asp

That way you do not have the long term risk if things did not work out on the work permit.

Also I agree in the most part that a front wheel drive car is fine in winter if good winter tyres but I did have issues a couple of times this winter in ice on hills where our SUV with decent all-seasons didn't skip a beat. Though the front-wheel drive car is definitely the more fun car to drive in winter
Old Apr 9th 2013, 10:25 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by delsol79
Have you considered a lease take-over company such as:

http://www.leasebusters.com/en/default.asp
He may have the same issue - credit history, or lack thereof.

Though the rear-wheel drive car is definitely the more fun car to drive in winter
Amended for accuracy.
Old Apr 9th 2013, 10:32 pm
Pea Brain

Originally Posted by cjones
The thing is, people are aware of the distinct demographic categories, but refuse to believe they apply to them... A view, which ironically, is promoted as another function of marketing - to make everyone feel special.
And of course over time categories can change, outside of manufacturers control or influence. Look at something like the Subaru Impreza, initially revered by enthusiasts as a rally car for the road, to live out their Colin McRae fantasies, while still ferrying kids to school. Affordable performance with legitimate motorsport provenance. Once the cars had changed hands a few times and were the affordable choice of boy racers that wanted baked bean can exhausts, noisy dump valves and Kenwood decals in the rear windows, the image shifted to something shadier and less desirable.
Old Apr 9th 2013, 10:45 pm
BEd Enthusiast

cjones has a reputation beyond reputecjones has a reputation beyond reputecjones has a reputation beyond reputecjones has a reputation beyond reputecjones has a reputation beyond reputecjones has a reputation beyond reputecjones has a reputation beyond reputecjones has a reputation beyond reputecjones has a reputation beyond reputecjones has a reputation beyond reputecjones has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by R I C H
And of course over time categories can change, outside of manufacturers control or influence. Look at something like the Subaru Impreza, initially revered by enthusiasts as a rally car for the road, to live out their Colin McRae fantasies, while still ferrying kids to school. Affordable performance with legitimate motorsport provenance. Once the cars had changed hands a few times and were the affordable choice of boy racers that wanted baked bean can exhausts, noisy dump valves and Kenwood decals in the rear windows, the image shifted to something shadier and less desirable.
True. This could henceforth be referred to as "The chav paradox".
Old Apr 9th 2013, 10:47 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

True. This could henceforth be referred to as "The chav paradox".
Except that not all boy racers are chavs...and there's no real paradox...
Old Apr 10th 2013, 3:27 am
BEd Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Shard
Except that not all boy racers are chavs...and there's no real paradox...
They are. And there is. ... It's a contradictory effect to that which the was initially intended. It happens all the time in marketing. A product/service marketed to a higher demographic inevitably appeals to lower groups also. Making what was once exclusive common place, so no longer as appealing to the original target group. (Think Burberry).
Old Apr 10th 2013, 3:33 am
BE Enthusiast

delsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud of

They are. And there is. ... It's a contradictory effect to that which the was initially intended. It happens all the time in marketing. A product/service marketed to a higher demographic inevitably appeals to lower groups also. Making what was once exclusive common place, so no longer as appealing to the original target group. (Think Burberry).
Totally agree with your point and the classic example of Burberry but that is still a different issue and discussion from whether all boy racers are chavs. They are not - posh boy racers just race their parents expensive German cars round the streets rather than a Vauxhall Corsa
Old Apr 10th 2013, 3:50 am
BE Enthusiast

Tony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to behold

I dont know anything about the lease.
But before you jump into a European. Check out the other brands you can get here like Acura, and Infinity. You might change your mind.
Old Apr 10th 2013, 4:19 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Tony_Tiger
But before you jump into a European. Check out the other brands you can get here like Acura, and Infinity. You might change your mind.
Or you might just realise with resentment that most of the models are just rebadged Honda and Nissan models with a BMW price tag

I love Jap cars but have hated how cars that were "normal" to me like the Honda Accord is badged an Acura TSX and given a premium price.
Old Apr 10th 2013, 12:08 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Totally agree with your point and the classic example of Burberry but that is still a different issue and discussion from whether all boy racers are chavs. They are not - posh boy racers just race their parents expensive German cars round the streets rather than a Vauxhall Corsa
Are the Arab kids racing Ferraris around Knightsbridge chavs or does wealth and being foreign exclude them?
Old Apr 10th 2013, 12:26 pm
Every day's a school day

cheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond repute

Or you might just realise with resentment that most of the models are just rebadged Honda and Nissan models with a BMW price tag

I love Jap cars but have hated how cars that were "normal" to me like the Honda Accord is badged an Acura TSX and given a premium price.
too true..i dont like the fact many Acuras are Hondas in Europe and cost loads of cash...infinity might be worth a shout..but they haven't updated their models for a few years now though.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.