Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Advice on 4X4 lease and types.

Advice on 4X4 lease and types.

Old Apr 8th 2013, 11:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

haggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice on 4X4 lease and types.

Originally Posted by Shard
Why do you want skinny tyres in the winter? Don't wider tyres distribute the weight better in snow?
consider trying to ice-skate on a pair of skis rather than actual ice-skates...

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
Yes of course gas is petrol. And North Americans still believe that diesels are like those they experienced in the 70's & 80's, noisy, rattly, slow etc. Plus, there was a shortage in diesel refining capacity in NA with the switch to Ultra Low Sulphur a few years back which I believe may still be a factor. In short, for cars & SUV's diesel availability is limited to premium brands. Yes you can get a diesel truck but thats a 6L+ diesel and unless you are towing something really heavy, whats the point?

On the diseasal debate...I read that it's to do with the NOx levels they emit

In Europe, diseasal engines are measured and approved on their Co2 emissions as opposed to NOx that they measure here, and I assume that most manufacturers must fall short of that?

No idea how much truth is in it though, just a few postings on a local car enthusiasts message board

However, Chrysler are releasing the RAM 1500 with a 3.0 V6 Turbodiesel, the same one that comes in the Jeep Cherokee in Europe, later this year.

http://media.chrysler.com/newsreleas...id=13869&mid=2

Now, the 4.7 Ram 1500 is dogshit slow compared to the HEMI, so the V6 TDi will need to be something special to tempt buyers...

I for one am very interested in it. I personally don't really like diesels, but would like the practicality of a full size truck with decent fuel economy.

Diesel here in Calgary was cheaper than gas when I first moved here in August, but it's now slightly more expensive as gas prices fell to 94.9 and diesel didn't really change from around the 119 mark (or not that i noticed anyway).

Most gas stations around here have diesel pumps too...although I'd be wary about owning a diesel in Albertan winters, as you'd have to have the block heater plugged in constantly whenever you weren't running the car surely?
Old Apr 8th 2013, 11:25 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by haggis88
Most gas stations around here have diesel pumps too...although I'd be wary about owning a diesel in Albertan winters, as you'd have to have the block heater plugged in constantly whenever you weren't running the car surely?
My diesel farm machinery was parked outside year round. In the winter it was often used from 4am onwards to clear snow. Never needed a block heater, just healthy glow plugs.
Old Apr 8th 2013, 11:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

haggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by R I C H
My diesel farm machinery was parked outside year round. In the winter it was often used from 4am onwards to clear snow. Never needed a block heater, just healthy glow plugs.
do modern diesel engines still use glow-plugs? i remember about 15 years ago, with my parents VW Vento TDi, you had to turn the ignition on and leave it for a couple of mins until the glowplug light went out before starting

Everyone around here with the Heavy Duty trucks have them plugged in over night when it gets below -10, and they're out starting them half an hour before they leave for work!

i know diesel starts to congeal when it freezes, so obviously wouldn't be very good to try and run an engine on...but thats about as far as my knowledge of diesel goes
Old Apr 9th 2013, 3:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

scootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond repute

The fuel parts for a diesel cost more also as parts for diesel cars are heavier duty than the petrol counterparts.
Old Apr 9th 2013, 3:42 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

I've just seen an X6 in the high street here. My God that's an ugly thing! Still, I chuckled when I saw an Asian woman at the wheel.
Old Apr 9th 2013, 4:25 pm
Forum Regular

mohtechnix is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dbd33
I've just seen an X6 in the high street here. My God that's an ugly thing! Still, I chuckled when I saw an Asian woman at the wheel.
What's your obsession with Asian people and X6? Do I sense jealousy or envy? Perhaps Asians are well off to be able to afford one of them, even though you think they are ridiculously expensive.
Old Apr 9th 2013, 4:31 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mohtechnix
What's your obsession with Asian people and X6? Do I sense jealousy or envy? Perhaps Asians are well off to be able to afford one of them, even though you think they are ridiculously expensive.
+1
Old Apr 9th 2013, 4:44 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mohtechnix
I do think it's an interesting phenomenon that certain behemoth SUVs, perhaps other vehicles too, sell into specific demographics. The X6, the Infinity Q56(?), sell to Asians, the Cadillac van to African Americans. It's very rare that you see these vehicles driven by someone of another background. The Mercedes tank thing, otoh, sells to all sorts of people. I wonder if that's the consequence of specific marketing campaigns. Does BMW, for example, have a significant presence in China?
Old Apr 9th 2013, 4:49 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

Does BMW, for example, have a significant presence in China?
All luxury brands do - China's their growth market and cash cow:

China premium car sales will probably surpass the U.S. as early as 2016 and equal that of Western Europe by 2020, driven by rising incomes in the world’s second-largest economy, according to McKinsey & Co.

Demand for luxury vehicles in China is expected to more than double by 2020 to 3 million from the 1.25 million cars sold last year, outpacing the total market, McKinsey said in a report released today. Deliveries of upscale autos will probably reach 2.25 million by 2016, according to McKinsey’s estimates.

Automakers from General Motors Co. (GM) to Nissan Motor Co. (7201) are expanding their premium brands to compete for luxury buyers in China, where German marques led by Volkswagen AG’s Audi account for about 80 percent of sales, according to McKinsey. Ford Motor Co. plans to start sales of its Lincoln nameplate in China next year, while PSA Peugeot Citroen is readying its flagship DS dealership in Shanghai.

“Even now, China’s premium car market presents a sizable opportunity for latecomers,” Sha Sha, Theodore Huang and Erwin Gabardi at McKinsey wrote in the report. “Japanese and U.S. attackers still have a chance to create a market footprint.”
Luxury car sales have increased 36 percent annually in the past decade, compared with the 26 percent rate for the total passenger-vehicle market, according to McKinsey. The segment remains attractive for automakers as 111 large Chinese cities still don’t have premium car dealerships, according to Morgan Stanley & Co.

Premium Sales

Audi sales in China and Hong Kong rose 30 percent last year to a record 405,838 units. German luxury nameplates accounted for 80 percent of premium car sales in China last year, with the remaining shared by other European, U.S. and Japanese brands, McKinsey said.
In its survey of Chinese consumers, 59 percent of respondents said they won’t choose a local brand when buying premium vehicles, while 16 percent believe a Chinese automaker will never be able to produce a luxury model that garners global recognition.
Women are also becoming more important as buyers of premium cars and they value exterior styling, safety and comfort, according to McKinsey, which surveyed 1,200 consumers in 12 large Chinese cities for its report.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-0...s-by-2016.html

Last edited by R I C H; Apr 9th 2013 at 4:56 pm.
Old Apr 9th 2013, 4:53 pm
Pea Brain

do modern diesel engines still use glow-plugs? i remember about 15 years ago, with my parents VW Vento TDi, you had to turn the ignition on and leave it for a couple of mins until the glowplug light went out before starting

Everyone around here with the Heavy Duty trucks have them plugged in over night when it gets below -10, and they're out starting them half an hour before they leave for work!

i know diesel starts to congeal when it freezes, so obviously wouldn't be very good to try and run an engine on...but thats about as far as my knowledge of diesel goes
I think you're over-egging things somewhat. Leaving glow plugs for several minutes will soon kill your battery, and there's no need to leave a diesel running for half an hour before driving it in the winter. A block heater just makes cranking easier on battery and engine.

Diesel has additives that help prevent the effect of cold weather on its viscosity.
Old Apr 9th 2013, 4:55 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

I do think it's an interesting phenomenon that certain behemoth SUVs, perhaps other vehicles too, sell into specific demographics. The X6, the Infinity Q56(?), sell to Asians, the Cadillac van to African Americans. It's very rare that you see these vehicles driven by someone of another background. The Mercedes tank thing, otoh, sells to all sorts of people. I wonder if that's the consequence of specific marketing campaigns. Does BMW, for example, have a significant presence in China?
How about pastel coloured VW Beetles, I would guess their demographic would be young women, there could exceptions however!
Old Apr 9th 2013, 5:02 pm
Yo

consider trying to ice-skate on a pair of skis rather than actual ice-skates
Not the same though as skates cut into the ice to gain traction, whereas skis distribute weight on snow, which is why I don't understand why there's an issue with wider tyres? Is it driving on ice or snow that is being discussed?
Old Apr 9th 2013, 5:06 pm
Pea Brain

Not the same though as skates cut into the ice to gain traction, whereas skis distribute weight on snow, which is why I don't understand why there's an issue with wider tyres? Is it driving on ice or snow that is being discussed?
Read this: http://www.motortrend.com/womt/112_9...y/viewall.html
Old Apr 9th 2013, 5:12 pm
Yo

Originally Posted by R I C H
That's a very good web page. Still doesn't make sense to me, but I suppose it must be so.
Old Apr 9th 2013, 5:30 pm
Assimilated Pauper

How about pastel coloured VW Beetles, I would guess their demographic would be young women, there could exceptions however!
Gay men. Of course, not 100% of male Beetle drivers are gay but the generalisation is fair.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.