Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Advice on 4X4 lease and types.

Advice on 4X4 lease and types.

Old Apr 8th 2013, 2:26 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice on 4X4 lease and types.

Originally Posted by mohtechnix
Ford's interior finishing are awful and shabby to say the least.
Better than VW, Chrysler and GM. I haven't enough recent experience of other brands to be able to compare.
Old Apr 8th 2013, 2:27 pm
Every day's a school day

cheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond repute

Right, this is news to me.
Diesels are very difficult to come by..they are not seen as cool..still have the stigma that they are noisy, dirty and slow..you see far more hybrids than diesels.
Old Apr 8th 2013, 2:30 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Can anyone explain to me who lives in a city and does their majority of driving in a city why they need a 5 litre Mustang?
Needs? Well, no one needs an SUV and almost no one needs a pick up. People buy them because they like them. I thought the Mustang was great fun and tremendous value for money "Nice car, Buddy" people would say everywhere I went. Even when I got a ticket going at 110 mph the cop wanted to look at my supercharger more than my license. Fun, cheap, and aided me in bonding with the proletariat, what's not to like?
Old Apr 8th 2013, 2:31 pm
To infinity and Beyond !!

tattoo99 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dbd33
Needs? Well, no one needs an SUV and almost no one needs a pick up. People buy them because they like them. I thought the Mustang was great fun and tremendous value for money "Nice car, Buddy" people would say everywhere I went. Even when I got a ticket going at 110 mph the cop wanted to look at my supercharger more than my license. Fun, cheap, and aided me in bonding with the proletariat, what's not to like?
Old Apr 8th 2013, 2:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Good post so the OP likes his BMW X6 so why should anyone slate him for wanting one over here. I bet if you were doing 110 mph in a Nissan Altima 2.5 coupe would the cop have wanted to see whats under the hood? I guess not.
So who drives a Cadillac Escalade the gang banger, rapper type?
Do all Asians drive an Acura?
We all have our preferences in vehicle as we do in drinking beer.
Old Apr 8th 2013, 2:47 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

How is that? Gas is petrol right? You could barely get 16mpg in them bad boys Although they are massively overpriced, the BMW X series come in 3.0 ltr diesel. I have been pelted for mentioning BMW on here.
Yes of course gas is petrol. And North Americans still believe that diesels are like those they experienced in the 70's & 80's, noisy, rattly, slow etc. Plus, there was a shortage in diesel refining capacity in NA with the switch to Ultra Low Sulphur a few years back which I believe may still be a factor. In short, for cars & SUV's diesel availability is limited to premium brands. Yes you can get a diesel truck but thats a 6L+ diesel and unless you are towing something really heavy, whats the point?

More pertinently, there have been improvements in gas engines & hybrid technology over the past couple of years & rising fuel prices are driving the manufacturers to develop and sell more fuel efficient vehicles. Customer demand and all that. Note that they'd rather sell you a truck than a fiesta as the margins are a lot higher. But ultimately, there does seem to be a sustained shift to more fuel efficient vehicles being available. Getting consumers to buy them is another matter. Round here, for example, the truck seems to be king. Some people are doing well in the oil patch (either here or commuting to AB), and you need something to haul your toys around with/in. I suspect a similar point of view might be found in Sask.

Finally, I don't believe it was your desire to drive a BMW that was pilloried, rather the desire to drive an X6 which is a bit of a curates egg. But it's your money so why listen to a bunch of people on the internet. Filter through all the commentary and I think you've had some positive advice on leasing vs purchasing & how being on a TWP might limit your options in either.
Old Apr 8th 2013, 2:48 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

How is that? Gas is petrol right? You could barely get 16mpg in them bad boys Although they are massively overpriced, the BMW X series come in 3.0 ltr diesel. I have been pelted for mentioning BMW on here.
not in Canada they don't. Choice of straight-6 or V8 gas engines.
Old Apr 8th 2013, 3:00 pm
Forum Regular

mohtechnix is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Good post so the OP likes his BMW X6 so why should anyone slate him for wanting one over here. I bet if you were doing 110 mph in a Nissan Altima 2.5 coupe would the cop have wanted to see whats under the hood? I guess not.
So who drives a Cadillac Escalade the gang banger, rapper type?
Do all Asians drive an Acura?
We all have our preferences in vehicle as we do in drinking beer.
Moral of the story: each one to their own. I am all for constructive criticism or wise advice, but what does grate my cheese is when people who have never met you judge you based on your choice or taste for cars.
Old Apr 8th 2013, 3:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Moral of the story: each one to their own. I am all for constructive criticism or wise advice, but what does grate my cheese is when people who have never met you judge you based on your choice or taste for cars.
Better not broadcast your choice of a football team or favourite beer then
Old Apr 8th 2013, 3:07 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

If you stay on this site you better open up a burrito bar, as you will have a hell of a lot of grated cheese from judgements on far less less trivial items than cars!
Old Apr 8th 2013, 3:08 pm
Every day's a school day

cheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oakvillian
not in Canada they don't. Choice of straight-6 or V8 gas engines.
yeah they do seen a few BMW X5 with the 3l diesel engine
Old Apr 8th 2013, 3:10 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Of course they do, and your choice is influenced by how you want to appear to others. You can't get away from that.

FWIW I drive a FWD 4 year old Jeep Patriot. Reasons for purchase? I can reach the pedals, it has loads of room in the back for my art stuff, it was cheap, it's not bad on gas, it goes round corners well, it's bright red, I think it's more 'me' than a stodgy mum car.
Old Apr 8th 2013, 3:12 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bats
Of course they do, and your choice is influenced by how you want to appear to others. You can't get away from that.

FWIW I drive a FWD 4 year old Jeep Patriot. Reasons for purchase? I can reach the pedals, it has loads of room in the back for my art stuff, it was cheap, it's not bad on gas, it goes round corners well, it's bright red, I think it's more 'me' than a stodgy mum car.
And here I thought you drove the Batmobile.
Old Apr 8th 2013, 3:13 pm
Forum Regular

mohtechnix is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by cheeky_monkey
yeah they do seen a few BMW X5 with the 3l diesel engine
Fact. I could also live with a 3.0ltr petrol or gas as you call it. I know fuel is cheaper over there, but the thought of commuting in a 4.0ltr engine petrol car just doesn't sit right with me.
Old Apr 8th 2013, 3:16 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Oh, don't be so precious! I've long wondered what it was in the water in Asia that made people willing to go out in a X6, now at last I've encountered someone willing to do that. Of course I'm going to giggle, it'd be that same if you said you always wear the same outfit as your boy/girlfriend.

Thinking practically about the X6, surely it'd be the worst vehicle possible in the winter. What you really want is something with skinny tyres and lots of ground clearance, the X6 has wide wheels. I'd imagine the same applies to the X5, which may be why people who live in the country don't drive them.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.