Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Advice on 4X4 lease and types.

Advice on 4X4 lease and types.

Old Apr 8th 2013, 12:41 am
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice on 4X4 lease and types.

Originally Posted by dbd33
It is all about preference but, as a man who drives a pastel Beetle convertible, I feel safe in deriding sillier choicers than I've made. I struggle to think of any vehicle more deserving of the Aztek Design Award than the X6 (especially the M version, if you want to be picky).
Apropos to nothing, how is I2C enjoying her new vehicle?
Old Apr 8th 2013, 1:03 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
Apropos to nothing, how is I2C enjoying her new vehicle?
We've been in Utah, driving a Focus, for the past while. And we've just (this weekend) moved house so, somehow, it's not been much mentioned! Are you still liking yours?
Old Apr 8th 2013, 1:41 am
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

We've been in Utah, driving a Focus, for the past while. And we've just (this weekend) moved house so, somehow, it's not been much mentioned! Are you still liking yours?
Well, I spent the last week in Ottawa, where my driving experiences were limited to a Subaru Forester (nice enough in a bland sort of way) and a Dodge Charger (looks fantastic from the outside, is completely shit with terrible fit and finish in the inside). After the experience of cramming 3 adults and two kids in car seats into the Forester, doing the same thing on Friday night in the truck on being collected from the airport was a much more pleasant experience. We've also, for various reasons, been doing a fair bit of lugging stuff around of late for which it's proved ideal. So on balance, the utility I derive from it seems a reasonable deal for the money it costs at present. Plus I like the turbo whistle!
Old Apr 8th 2013, 2:29 am
BE Enthusiast

scootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond repute

It's a ginormous soda, chug that and you need a Yukon to haul you home!

It is all about preference but, as a man who drives a pastel Beetle convertible, I feel safe in deriding sillier choicers than I've made. I struggle to think of any vehicle more deserving of the Aztek Design Award than the X6 (especially the M version, if you want to be picky).
The Aztek has some good reviews for getting through some really bad conditions though,and a lot cheaper to buy.
Granted it's an ugly duckling though.
Old Apr 8th 2013, 12:50 pm
Forum Regular

mohtechnix is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by angelic applicant

Just realised youre a fellow mancunian (born there but live in littleborough now)... must be a northern thing
I am actually from London, but I have lived up here for about 7 years now. I love it. Were you thinking of the SRT 8? It looks solid, but the V8 engine (6.4ltr) seems a stretch for me. only if they made them in 3.0 lte turbodiesel
Old Apr 8th 2013, 1:18 pm
Slightly Canadian

Originally Posted by mohtechnix
I am actually from London, but I have lived up here for about 7 years now. I love it. Were you thinking of the SRT 8? It looks solid, but the V8 engine (6.4ltr) seems a stretch for me. only if they made them in 3.0 lte turbodiesel
Jeep did do the GC in turbodiesel form in Canada a few years ago. I thought I'd read that they are bringing it back for the 2014 MY. Aside from that only VW/Audi do TDi SUV's.

You need to recalibrate to North American thinking. Diesel bad. Big gas engines good.

Last edited by Atlantic Xpat; Apr 8th 2013 at 1:38 pm.
Old Apr 8th 2013, 1:23 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tattoo99
buick rendezvous Guys ...any advice ..Good/Bad?????
Are you after sensible advice or ill-founded opinion? I have plenty of the latter, based on nothing but my own prejudices... in short, it's a dreadful vehicle, wouldn't even consider it.

- First, of course, it's a Buick. OK if you're 70 and wear a car coat and hat to go off on your Sunday drive down the middle of the road, but not otherwise.
- Second, its proportions are all wrong. It's too tall and narrow for its size, and constantly looks as though it's about to fall over sideways.
- Third, the designers seem to have forgotten about the rear-three-quarter section until after they'd finished with the rest of it, and it ends up looking like a complete afterthought. The side window behind the rear passenger door doesn't share any lines with other elements of the car.

The only example I've looked at carefully, one that belonged to a neighbour a while ago, had extraordinarily uneven panel gaps and seemingly ill-fitting tailgate. That's a sample of one, but it would be enough to put me off even if I hadn't already dismissed the idea.
Old Apr 8th 2013, 1:53 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oakvillian
Are you after sensible advice or ill-founded opinion? I have plenty of the latter, based on nothing but my own prejudices... in short, it's a dreadful vehicle, wouldn't even consider it.

- First, of course, it's a Buick. OK if you're 70 and wear a car coat and hat to go off on your Sunday drive down the middle of the road, but not otherwise.
- Second, its proportions are all wrong. It's too tall and narrow for its size, and constantly looks as though it's about to fall over sideways.
- Third, the designers seem to have forgotten about the rear-three-quarter section until after they'd finished with the rest of it, and it ends up looking like a complete afterthought. The side window behind the rear passenger door doesn't share any lines with other elements of the car.

The only example I've looked at carefully, one that belonged to a neighbour a while ago, had extraordinarily uneven panel gaps and seemingly ill-fitting tailgate. That's a sample of one, but it would be enough to put me off even if I hadn't already dismissed the idea.
I had one as a rental. Utterly gutless. Only the Sebring convertible had more trouble struggling up motorway on ramps.
Old Apr 8th 2013, 1:55 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Well, I spent the last week in Ottawa, where my driving experiences were limited to a Subaru Forester (nice enough in a bland sort of way) and a Dodge Charger (looks fantastic from the outside, is completely shit with terrible fit and finish in the inside). After the experience of cramming 3 adults and two kids in car seats into the Forester, doing the same thing on Friday night in the truck on being collected from the airport was a much more pleasant experience. We've also, for various reasons, been doing a fair bit of lugging stuff around of late for which it's proved ideal. So on balance, the utility I derive from it seems a reasonable deal for the money it costs at present. Plus I like the turbo whistle!
The Focus was surprisingly good fun. "I'm going over a hundred!" giggled the driver at one point. And she was, a real hundred. Squeaky dashboard though, I couldn't live with that.
Old Apr 8th 2013, 1:59 pm
Forum Regular

Jeep did do the GC in turbodiesel form in Canada a few years ago. I thought I'd read that they are bringing it back for the 2014 MY. Aside from that only VW/Audi do TDi SUV's.

You need to recalibrate to North American thinking. Diesel bad. Big gas engines good.
How is that? Gas is petrol right? You could barely get 16mpg in them bad boys Although they are massively overpriced, the BMW X series come in 3.0 ltr diesel. I have been pelted for mentioning BMW on here.
Old Apr 8th 2013, 2:01 pm
Forum Regular

The Focus was surprisingly good fun. "I'm going over a hundred!" giggled the driver at one point. And she was, a real hundred. Squeaky dashboard though, I couldn't live with that.
Ford's interior finishing are awful and shabby to say the least.
Old Apr 8th 2013, 2:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Geordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond repute

How is that? Gas is petrol right? You could barely get 16mpg in them bad boys Although they are massively overpriced, the BMW X series come in 3.0 ltr diesel. I have been pelted for mentioning BMW on here.
Yes gas is petrol. Diesel isn't available at every garage - and I think it's more expensive (never checked so I might be wrong on the price). I don't know anyone that drives a diesel.
Old Apr 8th 2013, 2:14 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Geordie Lass
Yes gas is petrol. Diesel isn't available at every garage - and I think it's more expensive (never checked so I might be wrong on the price). I don't know anyone that drives a diesel.
Right, this is news to me.
Old Apr 8th 2013, 2:17 pm
To infinity and Beyond !!

tattoo99 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Oakvillian

Maybe the reason the one i was looking at was cheap even by canadian standards
Thanks
Old Apr 8th 2013, 2:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Ignore the beemer haters They dont like them for (a) being a status symbol
(b) being overpriced in their minds or jealous because they can't afford one.
North American attitudes to vehicles are different to those of the UK and Canadians are heavily influenced in what America produces.
Can anyone explain to me who lives in a city and does their majority of driving in a city why they need a 5 litre Mustang?
If you are not hauling work materials or towing a boat or ATV why do you need a
Ford F350 truck?
Living in a rural area yes I see a need for a truck but in the city.
As gas (petrol) is relatively cheap compared to UK prices then mpg is not as prevalent to some.
Canadians will drive greater distances on vacation than the average UK resident. How many smart cars have been sold over here and if not why.
Some like the SUVs as they are higher off the road and feel more safe but then try to drive them like a sports car or think that because they have 4WD or AWD they can bomb along snow covered highways with ease.
Like Ive said before test drive as many as you can then choose what suits you.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.