Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Advice on 4X4 lease and types.

Advice on 4X4 lease and types.

Old Apr 6th 2013, 12:44 am
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice on 4X4 lease and types.

Originally Posted by Steve_P
You've done it too, I can tell.
I'm doing it right now.
Old Apr 6th 2013, 5:22 am
BE Forum Addict

Geordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Not wanting to get into an argument with you but until about 1980 you could not buy anything other than rear wheel drive vehicles here and we all managed just fine, even with all season tires.
Jeez dude - that's twice you've taken the Michael out of me in 2 days! What with the bread and the cars! What's up with ya man?

So back in the good old days eh? Did you enjoy sliding around in your rear wheel drive?

Me - I'm happy with my tank... Even has a reversing camera!!! Some mod cons are there to be enjoyed!
Old Apr 6th 2013, 2:24 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Geordie Lass

So back in the good old days eh? Did you enjoy sliding around in your rear wheel drive?
Absolutely.

First decent snowfall you went out to find an empty shopping centre parking lot and practiced spins and recovering from them.
Old Apr 6th 2013, 2:27 pm
Just Joined

Rockyhill is an unknown quantity at this point

I came to Canada in 2007 and although my LMO was valid for 3 years the nice person at the airport would only give me a 1 year WP. I was told that I could renew the WP later to cover the full 3 years. Anyway the implications is that after visiting dozens of car dealers only 1 would lease me a vehicle on a term that exceeded my 1 year WP. Rates were not the best but OK at the time. Good Luck.
Old Apr 6th 2013, 3:29 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Absolutely.

First decent snowfall you went out to find an empty shopping centre parking lot and practiced spins and recovering from them.
Or not
Old Apr 7th 2013, 1:52 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
Finally, and I don't want to jump on the BMW hating bandwagon here, but I might observe that living and working in Sask, a BMW might not be the most appropriate or practical vehicle. The X6 seems to be a bastardisation of a saloon and SUV. Better to pick one or the other perhaps?
I assume the OP is Asian (I've never seen an X6 driven by someone who wasn't). I admire him or her in his or her willingness to remain complete aloof from the locals, I mean, I'm willing to be hated by them but not to sneer at them every time I go out for a bag of milk.

X6. Saskatchewan. That'll go well!
Old Apr 7th 2013, 4:22 am
Forum Regular

mohtechnix is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dbd33
I assume the OP is Asian (I've never seen an X6 driven by someone who wasn't). I admire him or her in his or her willingness to remain complete aloof from the locals, I mean, I'm willing to be hated by them but not to sneer at them every time I go out for a bag of milk.

X6. Saskatchewan. That'll go well!
Nope I am actually not Asian. I am just a fan of BMW cars. I thought Toyota Corrolla is the only car every Asian household owned? A 4x4 is a 4x4, does the badge really matter? After all it's not a Range Rover Sport or Porsche Cayenne. I don't want to believe that anyone in their right frame of mind will judge or hate you because of your car. I mean it's not a Bugatti Veron
Old Apr 7th 2013, 5:15 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mohtechnix
Nope I am actually not Asian. I am just a fan of BMW cars. I thought Toyota Corrolla is the only car every Asian household owned? A 4x4 is a 4x4, does the badge really matter? After all it's not a Range Rover Sport or Porsche Cayenne. I don't want to believe that anyone in their right frame of mind will judge or hate you because of your car. I mean it's not a Bugatti Veron
A mate of mine had one and it was fun to drive. They are pretty thirsty though.
Old Apr 7th 2013, 5:31 am
BE Enthusiast

stuabroad has a reputation beyond reputestuabroad has a reputation beyond reputestuabroad has a reputation beyond reputestuabroad has a reputation beyond reputestuabroad has a reputation beyond reputestuabroad has a reputation beyond reputestuabroad has a reputation beyond reputestuabroad has a reputation beyond reputestuabroad has a reputation beyond reputestuabroad has a reputation beyond reputestuabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Nope I am actually not Asian. I mean it's not a Bugatti Veron
If i were you, i'd wait until you get your backside out here and understand where you will be living. The fact is that for 6 months of the year, you will be driving along managing the winter conditions the same as every other poor b**trd. Driving your beloved wheels through 6 months of salt and crap doesn't make you feel warm and fuzzy inside. There are things called Pot Holes here you will soon discover.
I do fully understand the reasons for wanting a BMW (build quality/resale/driving pleasure). Assuming you know how to drive and aren't a posing twat buying it only for the badge. I've always loved driving and so i will spend more of my $$$ as i get alot out of it: http://4drive.ca/car/ford/mustang/5_gen/stuabroad/1

However, this is Western Canada. Forget about the status and Class systems here as the same rules do not apply. Frankly I think you’d be daft to fork out the cash if you’re here on a TWP with no concrete plans even to get PR. BMW X5 and X6 (especially) are vastly over-priced. Dealer servicing is ridiculous and the prices on three year olds are crazy. For the same price you could get a new Cherokee SRT which has far more grunt and excellent trim and build quality. Infiniti FX35/50 are also popular but also over-priced. Audi is less attractive than the BMW but you may get a better deal. I’m not knocking you for looking at the Beamers – I’m just saying this is not a market you are familiar with and you could probably manage your money much more sensibly by widening your search options.
Old Apr 7th 2013, 5:47 am
BEd Enthusiast

cjones has a reputation beyond reputecjones has a reputation beyond reputecjones has a reputation beyond reputecjones has a reputation beyond reputecjones has a reputation beyond reputecjones has a reputation beyond reputecjones has a reputation beyond reputecjones has a reputation beyond reputecjones has a reputation beyond reputecjones has a reputation beyond reputecjones has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stuabroad
I've always loved driving and so i will spend more of my $$$ as i get alot out of it: http://4drive.ca/car/ford/mustang/5_gen/stuabroad/1
Oh dear, in that first picture you seem to have run into a moose? - Hope it didn't do too much damage to the car.
Old Apr 7th 2013, 5:55 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cjones
Oh dear, in that first picture you seem to have run into a moose? - Hope it didn't do too much damage to the car.
It’ll leave a nasty streak at the very least.
Old Apr 7th 2013, 6:24 am
BE Enthusiast

stuabroad has a reputation beyond reputestuabroad has a reputation beyond reputestuabroad has a reputation beyond reputestuabroad has a reputation beyond reputestuabroad has a reputation beyond reputestuabroad has a reputation beyond reputestuabroad has a reputation beyond reputestuabroad has a reputation beyond reputestuabroad has a reputation beyond reputestuabroad has a reputation beyond reputestuabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
It’ll leave a nasty streak at the very least.
yeah there was some sweat marks for some time afterwards. never buy a black car ( or let naked persons lounge on your bonnet)
Old Apr 7th 2013, 10:42 am
To infinity and Beyond !!

tattoo99 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by cjones
Old Apr 7th 2013, 11:35 am
BE Enthusiast

scootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond repute

does the badge really matter?
It seems that it does to you mate!
The safest thing I have driven my family around in is a nice Volvo tank,much cheaper,brilliant build quality,and the safety of a Volvo in the event of a crash.

Last edited by scootb; Apr 7th 2013 at 11:37 am.
Old Apr 7th 2013, 11:48 am
Forum Regular

mohtechnix is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by stuabroad
If i were you, i'd wait until you get your backside out here and understand where you will be living. The fact is that for 6 months of the year, you will be driving along managing the winter conditions the same as every other poor b**trd. Driving your beloved wheels through 6 months of salt and crap doesn't make you feel warm and fuzzy inside. There are things called Pot Holes here you will soon discover.
I do fully understand the reasons for wanting a BMW (build quality/resale/driving pleasure). Assuming you know how to drive and aren't a posing twat buying it only for the badge. I've always loved driving and so i will spend more of my $$$ as i get alot out of it: http://4drive.ca/car/ford/mustang/5_gen/stuabroad/1

However, this is Western Canada. Forget about the status and Class systems here as the same rules do not apply. Frankly I think you’d be daft to fork out the cash if you’re here on a TWP with no concrete plans even to get PR. BMW X5 and X6 (especially) are vastly over-priced. Dealer servicing is ridiculous and the prices on three year olds are crazy. For the same price you could get a new Cherokee SRT which has far more grunt and excellent trim and build quality. Infiniti FX35/50 are also popular but also over-priced. Audi is less attractive than the BMW but you may get a better deal. I’m not knocking you for looking at the Beamers – I’m just saying this is not a market you are familiar with and you could probably manage your money much more sensibly by widening your search options.

Thanks for the wise words. That's what I came on here for, I will widen my options and probaly go test drive a few before making a decision. Trust me, am
not one for driving a car because of its badge, that's daft. You have listed all the reasons why I wanted one.

Are the roads and winter conditions that bad? Do you guys ever clean your cars during winter? I am sure the grits and salts could cause corrosion and rusting

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.