Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Advice on 4X4 lease and types.

Advice on 4X4 lease and types.

Old Apr 5th 2013, 9:26 pm
Forum Regular

mohtechnix is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Advice on 4X4 lease and types.

Originally Posted by jossie
Me too
You lot are absolutely pathetic and I think you spend too much time on this website. Can't you not just read a thread and pass without posting jargons? I asked for meaningful contributions.

So I am full of it because I want to buy an X6, it appears driving one of those is the epitomy of glamour to you, that's really sad. You lot clearly have too much time on your hands, if you are bored get a hobby, take a hike or something. You don't have to spend all day poke nosing on BE.
Old Apr 5th 2013, 9:27 pm
Forum Regular

mohtechnix is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Geordie Lass
With the risk of getting into an argument (which I don't do on the internet - can't be bothered - or in real life actually...)

Aren't BMW's rear wheel drive?

Do they have the capacity to change to All Wheel Drive?

If not OP I would reconsider.... it's lethal out here when there is snow on the ground. Good winter tires are a must. I see people spinning around in the school car park and with my trusty Mazda tank I am in and out no spinning every time. I do have good winter tires tho.

Thanks Geordie Lasss. X6 are AWD.
Old Apr 5th 2013, 9:35 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

With the risk of getting into an argument (which I don't do on the internet - can't be bothered - or in real life actually...)

If not OP I would reconsider.... it's lethal out here when there is snow on the ground. Good winter tires are a must. I see people spinning around in the school car park and with my trusty Mazda tank I am in and out no spinning every time. I do have good winter tires tho.
Not wanting to get into an argument with you but until about 1980 you could not buy anything other than rear wheel drive vehicles here and we all managed just fine, even with all season tires.
Old Apr 5th 2013, 10:00 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Beemer with x-drive are fine, otherwise it's silly beggar time.
Old Apr 5th 2013, 10:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

haggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mohtechnix
You lot are absolutely pathetic and I think you spend too much time on this website. Can't you not just read a thread and pass without posting jargons? I asked for meaningful contributions.

So I am full of it because I want to buy an X6, it appears driving one of those is the epitomy of glamour to you, that's really sad. You lot clearly have too much time on your hands, if you are bored get a hobby, take a hike or something. You don't have to spend all day poke nosing on BE.
don't take the internet so seriously mate...if you're getting wound up about this then i'd suggest its you who needs to get a life

PS, is this you?

Old Apr 5th 2013, 10:06 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Well, let's see, could it be the wording of you original post was a a little, er, rude. After all if you expect us to read and ignore, why on earth can't you ignore those posts that you would describe as non meaningful?

I bet you're a laugh down the pub. "No! I said, no non meaningful contributions". I hear you cry.

Last edited by bats; Apr 5th 2013 at 10:22 pm.
Old Apr 5th 2013, 10:07 pm
limey party pooper

Originally Posted by Steve_P
Not wanting to get into an argument with you but until about 1980 you could not buy anything other than rear wheel drive vehicles here and we all managed just fine, even with all season tires.
Yeah but you all lived in shoe boxes then.
Old Apr 5th 2013, 10:32 pm

Originally Posted by bats
well yeah, but they were well built shoe boxes.
Old Apr 5th 2013, 10:34 pm
limey party pooper

well yeah, but they were well built shoe boxes.
Built to last in those days.
Old Apr 5th 2013, 10:37 pm

Built to last in those days.
Of course just like BMWs.
Old Apr 5th 2013, 10:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

jossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond repute

This made me think of this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xe1a1wHxTyo
Old Apr 5th 2013, 11:06 pm

Originally Posted by jossie
...and we walked through six foot o' snow to school, uphill both ways barefoot.
Old Apr 6th 2013, 12:00 am
limey party pooper

...and we walked through six foot o' snow to school, uphill both ways barefoot.
Wearing nothing but goose grease and brown paper.
Old Apr 6th 2013, 12:12 am

Wearing nothing but goose grease and brown paper.
You've done it too, I can tell.
Old Apr 6th 2013, 12:42 am
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Well the plan is to see my TWP out and maybe get a PR, depending if I am able to find a role in the BC or Calgary offices.

I have been told I will struggle to get a 0% finance without at least 6 months credit history. From your tips, I don't see myself leasing one now, but I am reluctant to invest all that cash on a car as Aviator has rightly pointed out in his earlier post.
I'm a bit of a contrarian on leasing as I think it can be an excellent way to obtain use of a vehicle as opposed to purchasing. If the variables of purchase cost, interest rate, residual value and lease period can be aligned, then it can make sense. The example I've posted about recently, is a Ford truck for two years at somewhere around $550 a month taxes in, with no money down and servicing included. Viewed as pure consumption the utility I get for that payment from that vehicle works for me. Your, or anyone else's mileage may vary.

Out here on the damp East Coast, my experience has been that vehicles don't last more than 10 years. Factor in some variability in build quality & having a newish vehicle under warranty makes sense. Having a young family and not wanting to ferry them around in a $5k beater also plays a part. (Although to be fair, they were ferried around in a <$5k beater it turned out for the last year or more. It was the imminent failure of the steering in that beater, not not mention the also imminent failure of the timing belt that prompted the need to change vehicle.) Again, YMMV.

Frankly, for someone on a TWP and by default only a relatively short guaranteed stay in the country, leasing or outright purchase are your only two realistic options IMHO. Who is going to lend you money over 5 years when you might have to leave the country after 3? So I'd certainly look into leasing, with no money down, but new, not used. Most, if not all, the manufacturers websites have monthly payment calculators that enable you to play around with vehicle/term & deposit if you so choose. Note that the deal available at the dealer usually is better, factoring in all the various discounts and rebates.

Finally, and I don't want to jump on the BMW hating bandwagon here, but I might observe that living and working in Sask, a BMW might not be the most appropriate or practical vehicle. The X6 seems to be a bastardisation of a saloon and SUV. Better to pick one or the other perhaps?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.