Wikiposts

adventure!

Old Apr 15th 2013, 1:37 am
Just Joined

Suarez20 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default adventure!

Hi all,

Just joined the forum and it's great seeing the opinions and views of what life is like in Canada. I'm heading in October with 2 other mates on a 2 year IEC and can't wait to start the adventure. The 2 other lads have just finished uni and I've finished qualifying as an accountant in one of the big firms but I've become a little disillusioned with office life!

The 3 of us are looking to see as much of canada as possible over next 2 years and plan to work here and there at whatever we can with no ties or responsibilities to tie us down. Just a couple of quick questions if anyone could provide feedback this would be great,

1, Heading over in October, I presume we would be best heading towards a ski resort for the winter months to try our hand at bartending/serving etc Is there any ski resorts anyone could pointus toward? has anyone any experience of how difficult it is to get jobs in any of these ski resorts?

2, What are the chances of getting into any of the mines for the winter?

3, Money wise we will be coming over with roughly 6-7000 CAD will this be enough (very general i know but any idea would be great)

4, What areas of Canada would people advise during summer months? We would like to experience the great outdoors, be it fishing by lakes or travelling by horseback etc

Thanks for any help you can give, obviously very excited to start!
Old Apr 15th 2013, 1:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: adventure!

Must be Irish then if on a 2 year IEC.
For winter you are looking at Alberta, BC, Ontario and Quebec as the main skiing areas.
All Provinces?Territories have summer type jobs.
Major cities will have work all year round and some are close enough for the outdoor adventurer type.
You will be in competition with over 5000 UK citizens on IEC visas and a bunch load of Australians so don't think it will be a cakewalk.
The Irish charm will only get you so far.
Old Apr 15th 2013, 2:01 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: adventure!

If you want to work in a bar or other licenced premises serving alcohol, depending on the Province you may need to get a certificate before you will be able to get a job.

For BC it's http://www.servingitright.com/
For Ontario: https://www.smartserve.ca/
For Alberta: http://proserve.aglc.ca/index.aspx?tabid=1

We had a friend of the family who came over on an IEC a couple of years ago and got a job at a ski resort in Ferni - he has a great time!