Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Adult Education suitable for British mature student ?

Adult Education suitable for British mature student ?

Old Jul 5th 2011, 8:56 pm
Wanna-be Canadian

loser40 has a brilliant futureloser40 has a brilliant futureloser40 has a brilliant futureloser40 has a brilliant futureloser40 has a brilliant futureloser40 has a brilliant future
Question Adult Education suitable for British mature student ?

Hi...

I understand that in Canada education to 12th grade is the norm - I don't have this.

I was wondering if, with a study permit, I could study for this in Canada as a mature foreign student at a Canadian Adult Education facility!

Are there such courses suitable to a 40 something Brit ?

Any links, personal experience, or advice much appreciated.

TIA,

M.
Old Jul 5th 2011, 10:12 pm
Wanna-be Canadian

loser40 has a brilliant futureloser40 has a brilliant futureloser40 has a brilliant futureloser40 has a brilliant futureloser40 has a brilliant futureloser40 has a brilliant future
Default Re: Adult Education suitable for British mature student ?

Baffled why this post was moved ?

Im asking a question linked to visa's/immigration !

M.
Old Jul 5th 2011, 10:57 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know where you are heading, and education is a provincial matter, but these are the options for adults in BC. http://www.bced.gov.bc.ca/graduation/

It can be free if you study on-line. You need to be a citizen, PR, or have a valid study permit.
Old Jul 6th 2011, 10:31 am
Wanna-be Canadian

Originally Posted by JonboyE
I don't know where you are heading, and education is a provincial matter, but these are the options for adults in BC. http://www.bced.gov.bc.ca/graduation/

It can be free if you study on-line. You need to be a citizen, PR, or have a valid study permit.
Hi JonboyE,

Thanks for the link and info.

So - do you, or any other forum members know if it is possible for me to study (for free?) from the UK, or does that also require me be a citizen, PR, or have a valid study permit ?... because if it is possible, the Nova Scotia PNP stream might become a viable option once I've passed !

Thanks again,

M.

MODERATORS - Surely this thread would be better in the visa's/immigration forum ! Just wondering why it was moved ?
Old Jul 6th 2011, 10:46 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by loser40
MODERATORS - Surely this thread would be better in the visa's/immigration forum ! Just wondering why it was moved ?
Because, unless I'm really misunderstanding the question at the start of the thread, you're not asking about visas - you're asking about a course of study and whether or not it would be suitable for you.

If you are asking about a legal or visa related issue, then it belongs in the immigration section, but if it's a general 'what type of studying should I do' etc question, then it belongs on the main part of the forum, which is for anything else related to Canada. But if I've misunderstood what you are asking, then just let me know - and don't forget you can use the 'report' button to grab our attention, I only happened to see this by chance and we may not have noticed your question otherwise.
Old Jul 6th 2011, 3:29 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Nova Scotia School for Adult Learning

Old Jul 6th 2011, 3:34 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Hi JonboyE,

Thanks for the link and info.

So - do you, or any other forum members know if it is possible for me to study (for free?) from the UK, or does that also require me be a citizen, PR, or have a valid study permit ?... because if it is possible, the Nova Scotia PNP stream might become a viable option once I've passed !

Thanks again,

M.

You will have to pay, that is if you can do it from overseas. Education is funded by Canadian taxpayers, for Canadian residents.
Old Jul 6th 2011, 8:44 pm
Wanna-be Canadian

Hi,

Thanks for your replies.

For anyone else considering studying for their grade 12 in, or via online/distance/correspondence learning via an NS education facility, and then applying for their NS PNP CIS...

...I just noticed this on the *Nova Scotia Nominee Program (NSNP) Community Identified Stream Application Guide" ( http://novascotiaimmigration.ca/site...Sept._2007.pdf ) under the 'When not to apply' heading...

International students who are currently enrolled in post-secondary education programs (i.e., still in study) or their spouses, common-law or conjugal partners. (may not apply)

and... International students who have graduated within the past year from a Nova Scotia institution or their spouses, common-law or conjugal partners. (may not apply).

Certainly something to bear in mind.

Would still like to hear from anyone with personal experience, or any other advice - not just in NS, but all over Canada, and maybe via online/distance/correspondence learning, outside of Canada.

Thanks again,

Mark.
Old Jul 6th 2011, 8:50 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Out of interest, if your aim is to get the one year's post-secondary education to qualify for the CIS, then wouldn't it be easier/cheaper to just do a local course in the UK?

Plus of course if you did Grade 12 then that's just secondary education in Canada, not post-secondary, so it wouldn't count anyway.
Old Jul 6th 2011, 8:57 pm
Wanna-be Canadian

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Out of interest, if your aim is to get the one year's post-secondary education to qualify for the CIS, then wouldn't it be easier/cheaper to just do a local course in the UK?

Plus of course if you did Grade 12 then that's just secondary education in Canada, not post-secondary, so it wouldn't count anyway.
You're right of course about it being cheaper - but from what I understood, I would need to do a years full time, or 2 years part time study in the UK... I figured doing the grade 12 in Canada would be quicker - but now you are saying it wouldn't count !?!

Confused again now, and it all seemed so straight forward a while ago

M.
Old Jul 6th 2011, 8:59 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

You're right of course about it being cheaper - but from what I understood, I would need to do a years full time, or 2 years part time study in the UK... I figured doing the grade 12 in Canada would be quicker - but now you are saying it wouldn't count !?!

Confused again now, and it all seemed so straight forward a while ago

M.
Well, Grade 12 is just the last year of secondary school in Canada, so it's not post-secondary. It would just be completing high school basically wouldn't it?

Plus it still has to be a year's full-time or more - you can't do a short course as it won't count for the CIS. It must be one year's full-time post-secondary education i.e. an apprenticeship, HND, degree etc.

HTH.
Old Jul 6th 2011, 9:46 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Also, and this is for BC, you have to supply proof of citizenship, or PR or a copy of your study permit when you enroll in the on-line version so a UK resident without status in Canada could not take the course.