Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Acreages, how big and do you use it all?

Acreages, how big and do you use it all?

Old Jun 2nd 2010, 7:10 pm
Forum Regular

kamikaze has much to be proud ofkamikaze has much to be proud ofkamikaze has much to be proud ofkamikaze has much to be proud ofkamikaze has much to be proud ofkamikaze has much to be proud ofkamikaze has much to be proud ofkamikaze has much to be proud ofkamikaze has much to be proud ofkamikaze has much to be proud ofkamikaze has much to be proud of
Default Re: Acreages, how big and do you use it all?

Originally Posted by Oink
Has anyone ever raised Nigerian pygmy goats on their acreage?
I am trying to lay my hands on some Tennesee Fainting goats, they are the funnyest thing you have ever seen.
Old Jun 2nd 2010, 7:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Mountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
That'll be the property taxes, the rate (in Ontario) is 75% lower for farms than residential properties.
Originally Posted by R I C H
Farm status = huge reduction in property tax.

dbd beat me to it.
Ahh I see, that make sense. They have mentioned trying to reach a $10,000 minimum production threshold, certainly seems worth it for a large reduction in taxes.
Old Jun 2nd 2010, 7:19 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kamikaze
I thought you did horses ? dont they class horses as ALR type business under livestock / agritourism and the like ? When we were on our buying trip we spoke to loads of people who bought ALR and nearly all of them told us they where having hassle trying to do just about anything on there land that deviated from the ALR, but then again they where on the Island and as I said it would appear that they are on max land protection mode on the Island due to the limited land availability
Boarding horses isn't classified as agricultural, livestock or agri-tourism activity. We also leased office space, arena space and rented residential property on the land as other income streams. ALR classification definitely doesn't require agricultural activity to be the only way of deriving income from the land.
Old Jun 2nd 2010, 7:22 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mountain Girl
Ahh I see, that make sense. They have mentioned trying to reach a $10,000 minimum production threshold, certainly seems worth it for a large reduction in taxes.
The minimum gross annual income requirements vary between provinces. In BC it starts at $2,500 p/a to gain farm status.
Old Jun 2nd 2010, 7:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

AlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kamikaze
I am trying to lay my hands on some Tennesee Fainting goats, they are the funnyest thing you have ever seen.
Our friends had one of those (along with two goats that used to be ours, that we couldn't get rid of quickly enough - both bloody destructive beasts!) but sadly it got taken by a cougar

Have a look here for breeders - nothing much in BC I'm afraid:

http://www.myotonicgoatregistry.net/...ry.html#canada
Old Jun 2nd 2010, 7:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

AlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
Has anyone ever raised Nigerian pygmy goats on their acreage?
Not pygmy goats, no. We did have one Alpine and one Nubian before finally getting completely sick of the havoc they wreaked and rehoming them
Old Jun 2nd 2010, 7:53 pm
Forum Regular

kamikaze has much to be proud ofkamikaze has much to be proud ofkamikaze has much to be proud ofkamikaze has much to be proud ofkamikaze has much to be proud ofkamikaze has much to be proud ofkamikaze has much to be proud ofkamikaze has much to be proud ofkamikaze has much to be proud ofkamikaze has much to be proud ofkamikaze has much to be proud of

Let me tell you, our tamworth pigs would drive you nuts...the buggers can escape from a steel box
Old Jun 2nd 2010, 8:52 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AlexInBC
I think it really does matter "whether it's yours or theirs". If it isn't yours, and yet you feel it's very important to your enjoyment of your property (e.g. the privacy aspect) then who's to say whether it is or isn't "going anywhere"...? They could potentially change their minds about the use of their own land, or sell their property to someone in the future who decides to clear-cut the area.
What I mean is if you have 20 yard deep treeline on your property, what does it matter that there is or indeed isn't another 100 feet on the adjoining property. Sorry I didn't make myself clear, my fault.