Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Acreages, how big and do you use it all?

Acreages, how big and do you use it all?

Old Jun 2nd 2010, 5:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Acreages, how big and do you use it all?

I don't have acreage... if I did I'd want enough for a nicely bermed 500-yard rifle range.
Old Jun 2nd 2010, 5:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

AlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
OK, I hadn`t thought of that

Do you replace what you cut down, or do you rely on what has already fallen?
We just cut down the beetle-hit jackpole pine and yes, we replace it, but with spruce, fir, etc., and there are also hundreds (thousands?) of naturally growing pine saplings coming through, too.

We don't touch any healthy trees, but this year BC Hydro came and felled loads of huge pine trees for us that were within falling distance of the power lines along the roadside and down the along the driveway. There's now way more wood than we could burn in the time that it will keep for, even if properly stored (it needs to age or you run the risk of chimney fires, but once it gets too old it gives off hardly any heat) and it's worthless as timber round here so we're set for firewood (and fence poles, etc.) for a good few years.

We've also got plenty spare to give away to friends who don't have their own supply (as long as they do their own hard work of bucking and splitting!)
Old Jun 2nd 2010, 5:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
When it comes to privacy, I wonder if that is a particular British thing? If the neighbours are a few acres away, what are you doing for which you need screening? I would think the distance would suffice.
It is a very prevalent concern with cradles...you would be surprised when a new development is proposed in an area how many people complain about their lack of privacy. It often occurs to me that these people have some sort of lifestyle habit that they want to keep under wraps.
Old Jun 2nd 2010, 6:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Partially discharged
It is a very prevalent concern with cradles...you would be surprised when a new development is proposed in an area how many people complain about their lack of privacy. It often occurs to me that these people have some sort of lifestyle habit that they want to keep under wraps.
I appreciate the concern of privacy when neighbours are on top of one another. I agree that the appeal of an acreage is not living on top of one`s neighbour and the ability to play one`s music loud and not having to hear music from a neighbour. But, when a neighbour is acres away, I would think this would not be a huge issue.

If posters walk around all the time in their birthday suits, I can see why trees would be a good idea, failing that, I fail to see what neighbours could do that would require trees for privacy reasons.
Old Jun 2nd 2010, 6:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Arris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Can't imagine why you wouldn't. There's not much in life that's easier than keeping chickens.
Cheers dbd, that's good to hear - I understand the runs will need to be good & secure - I have friends here who keep them & say as long as the chicken run is fox proofed properly (not half heartedly) all is ok.

Must be great having really fresh eggs for breakfast - plus I find the clucking & scratching of hens rather relaxing.
Old Jun 2nd 2010, 6:20 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Arris
Cheers dbd, that's good to hear - I understand the runs will need to be good & secure - I have friends here who keep them & say as long as the chicken run is fox proofed properly (not half heartedly) all is ok.
I free ranged the chickens. That is, for the first couple of years, I opened the door to the coop first thing in the morning and closed it after dark, during the day the chickens wandered surprisingly far across the fields and through the woods. Losses predators were minimal.
Old Jun 2nd 2010, 6:23 pm
Forum Regular

kamikaze has much to be proud ofkamikaze has much to be proud ofkamikaze has much to be proud ofkamikaze has much to be proud ofkamikaze has much to be proud ofkamikaze has much to be proud ofkamikaze has much to be proud ofkamikaze has much to be proud ofkamikaze has much to be proud ofkamikaze has much to be proud ofkamikaze has much to be proud of

We have just bought a spread on Vancouver Island and for us it was all about the zoning, if it is zoned for farming (ALR) your very limited what you can do with it, We had to pay almost double per acre to buy land that was zoned "TC" Tourism Commercial so that we could use the land for camping /RV park, We looked at huge areas of "ALR" land that was very cheap but unless you planned a winery or a farm then all you could do with it was look at it !!!

Very different system of planning from the UK on the Island
Old Jun 2nd 2010, 6:34 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kamikaze
We have just bought a spread on Vancouver Island and for us it was all about the zoning, if it is zoned for farming (ALR) your very limited what you can do with it, We had to pay almost double per acre to buy land that was zoned "TC" Tourism Commercial so that we could use the land for camping /RV park, We looked at huge areas of "ALR" land that was very cheap but unless you planned a winery or a farm then all you could do with it was look at it !!!

Very different system of planning from the UK on the Island
That's a very broad, and not wholly accurate description of what you can/can't do on with land within the ALR in BC, although you're correct that restrictions apply.

ALR property can be subdivided, built on for residential and business purposes (not necessarily agriculture/farm related) and offer far more opportunities than you suggest.
Old Jun 2nd 2010, 6:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Mountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond repute

I have no interest in owning an acreage, but friends from the UK that moved over in 2008 bought 40 acres last August. The property is at Jumping pound pond, West of Calgary a little off highway 1. The land is situated as such that it has a completely panoramic view of the mountains and is just stunning. They were fortunate enough to pick it up for half the price of other properties in the area. The house is a bit shabby and needs a lot of work, but the land looks good.

They currently have 6 Lamas, 15 Chickens, 3 horses and a dog. I think they have plans to build an arena and certainly a few other outbuildings. It seems like a lot of work and with the amount of finance they are potentially going to put into the property; they certainly could have bought “someone else’s dream” in that area for the same amount. I can see why they want to build their though, as the views are to die for. They certainly don’t use all the 40 acres at the moment, but hope to in some form over time. There list of work seems endless that they have to complete, but they seem to have a solid 10 year plan and for some reason they are hoping to gain farm status.

Last edited by Mountain Girl; Jun 2nd 2010 at 6:52 pm.
Old Jun 2nd 2010, 6:53 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mountain Girl
for some reason they are hoping to gain farm status.
That'll be the property taxes, the rate (in Ontario) is 75% lower for farms than residential properties.
Old Jun 2nd 2010, 6:54 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mountain Girl
for some reason they are hoping to gain farm status.
Farm status = huge reduction in property tax.

dbd beat me to it.
Old Jun 2nd 2010, 6:54 pm
Forum Regular

kamikaze has much to be proud ofkamikaze has much to be proud ofkamikaze has much to be proud ofkamikaze has much to be proud ofkamikaze has much to be proud ofkamikaze has much to be proud ofkamikaze has much to be proud ofkamikaze has much to be proud ofkamikaze has much to be proud ofkamikaze has much to be proud ofkamikaze has much to be proud of

Hi rich, we spoke to the local ALR manager who works for the FED and he tells me that the Island is a lot more strict than other areas of BC, mainly due to it being an Island, his words where " sure you can apply,but dont hold your breath" he tells me that due to people trying to do Condo developments they have really tightened the islands critera, but your right if you can afford the time and paperwork you could split 20 Acres into 2 lots, The local farmer along tells me he did it with a parcel of land and it took him 3 years and $50,000 to achieve.
Old Jun 2nd 2010, 7:00 pm
Pea Brain

Originally Posted by kamikaze
Hi rich, we spoke to the local ALR manager who works for the FED and he tells me that the Island is a lot more strict than other areas of BC, mainly due to it being an Island, his words where " sure you can apply,but dont hold your breath" he tells me that due to people trying to do Condo developments they have really tightened the islands critera, but your right if you can afford the time and paperwork you could split 20 Acres into 2 lots, The local farmer along tells me he did it with a parcel of land and it took him 3 years and $50,000 to achieve.
My 32 acres were in the ALR and 75% of my business use wasn't classified as agricultural. Several neighbors subdivided down to 20 acre plots (the minimum subdvision permissible) and ran a whole variety of businesses (trucking, aggregate/gravel supply, a vet's practice, accountancy business, massage therapy etc) from ALR premises.

ALR land has several classifications, depending on what the soil will support. Those classifications were made by ariel survey, and are not very accurate, so it's also possible to challenge the zoning and take property out of the ALR, though the process is somewhat lengthy.
Old Jun 2nd 2010, 7:08 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Has anyone ever raised Nigerian pygmy goats on their acreage?
Old Jun 2nd 2010, 7:08 pm
Forum Regular

I thought you did horses ? dont they class horses as ALR type business under livestock / agritourism and the like ? When we were on our buying trip we spoke to loads of people who bought ALR and nearly all of them told us they where having hassle trying to do just about anything on there land that deviated from the ALR, but then again they where on the Island and as I said it would appear that they are on max land protection mode on the Island due to the limited land availability

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.