Reload this Page >

Accreditation of Open University,UK Degree in Canada

Accreditation of Open University,UK Degree in Canada

Old Feb 17th 2020, 7:51 am
Just Joined

sfrqza is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Accreditation of Open University,UK Degree in Canada

Hi Everyone

I am Syed Furqan Rasheed Quadri from Hyderabad, India.
I have completed my 10th in 2012, 12th in 2015.
I hold a work experience of 2 years after that & I am a working employee now.

And I am pursuing BA(Honours) in Business Management from Open University, UK.
I want to apply for a Masters (MBA) in Canada. Will my Bachelor's degree from Open University from the UK will be recognized/accepted by Canadian Universities?
(OR)
I am also a working employee in India. I also hold a work experience of 2 Years. I will be awarded my degree by OU, the UK this year.
Can I apply for PR with my 2 Years of Work Experience & My Bachelor's Degree?

How much will it cost me for fees & living in Canada?
Is it easy to find a job and work part-time while pursuing educations in Canada?

Can anyone please guide me clearing my confusion?
Old Feb 17th 2020, 3:14 pm
JGK
BE Enthusiast

JGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Accreditation of Open University,UK Degree in Canada

That is set of "how long is a piece of string questions:

Will my Bachelor's degree from Open University from the UK will be recognized/accepted by Canadian Universities? You will likely need to have it assessed by one of the independent qualification assessment organisations. I don't know how they treat OU degrees compared to full or part-time attendance courses.
Can I apply for PR with my 2 Years of Work Experience & My Bachelor's Degree? Nothing to stop you if you meet the points requirement. However, a score of < 450 points on the EOI system will likely mean you won't receive an offer.
How much will it cost me for fees & living in Canada? That would depend on where you are studying and where you are living. Some parts of Canada are vastly more expensive than others.
Is it easy to find a job and work part-time while pursuing educations in Canada? If you come on a student visa, you will be allowed a limited number of work hours you will not be able to take a full - time job. If you try after PR it will be costly and to do this while working full time may not be possible

Old Feb 22nd 2020, 10:14 pm
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sfrqza
Hi Everyone

I am Syed Furqan Rasheed Quadri from Hyderabad, India.
I have completed my 10th in 2012, 12th in 2015.
I hold a work experience of 2 years after that & I am a working employee now.

I want to apply for a Masters (MBA) in Canada. Will my Bachelor's degree from Open University from the UK will be recognized/accepted by Canadian Universities?
(OR)
I am also a working employee in India. I also hold a work experience of 2 Years. I will be awarded my degree by OU, the UK this year.
Can I apply for PR with my 2 Years of Work Experience & My Bachelor's Degree?

How much will it cost me for fees & living in Canada?
Is it easy to find a job and work part-time while pursuing educations in Canada?

Can anyone please guide me clearing my confusion?
I'll answer some of this since I can offer insights on it from personal experience however the growing number of Indians who aren't even UK residents appearing on this website is becoming slightly alarming.

I want to apply for a Masters (MBA) in Canada. Will my Bachelor's degree from Open University from the UK will be recognized/accepted by Canadian Universities? Yes, it's a fully accredited UK degree. Assuming you pass with honours then it will equate to a 4 year undergrad degree from Canada.
(OR)
Can I apply for PR with my 2 Years of Work Experience & My Bachelor's Degree? If your question is will your degree be suitable for an ECA then the answer is yes for the reason I just stated above. Whether or not you can immigrate with just that and 2 years of work experience outside of Canada is another matter entirely. I'd be surprised if you received enough CRS points just from that. Unless what you're thinking of doing is applying for an MBA in Canada and then pursuing PR after that. If so then I'd cross that bridge when you come to it since the rules frequently change.
Old Feb 22nd 2020, 11:30 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost
I'll answer some of this since I can offer insights on it from personal experience however the growing number of Indians who aren't even UK residents appearing on this website is becoming slightly alarming.
Why are you alarmed, even slightly?
Old Feb 22nd 2020, 11:55 pm
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
Why are you alarmed, even slightly?
It's a forum for UK expats and those with ties to the UK at the end of the day.
​​​​​​
I'm not saying that anybody isn't welcome, it wouldn't be my place to say that anyway, but a lot of the advice on this forum tends to be written with British people in mind.

Last edited by DigitalGhost; Feb 23rd 2020 at 12:06 am.
Old Feb 23rd 2020, 12:49 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost
​​​​​​
I'm not saying that anybody isn't welcome, it wouldn't be my place to say that anyway, but a lot of the advice on this forum tends to be written with British people in mind.
Is it? I'm Canadian and live in Australia. I had never been to the UK until 2011.
Old Feb 23rd 2020, 8:33 am
Sidecar Falcon

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Is it? I'm Canadian and live in Australia. I had never been to the UK until 2011.
I think you know what I mean though. The policies for you in terms of immigration are far more likely to be similar to those for the British as long as you're looking outside of Europe.

In any case I've answered a couple of the OP's questions for him. The others are, as JGK stated, a bit of piece of string scenario.

​​​​​​​Nobody is guaranteed an ECA for Canada or a place in their Canadian uni of choice but the OP's degree should be considered no different to any other from the UK.
Old Feb 23rd 2020, 9:06 am
Forum Regular

Frazzle is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by sfrqza
I can't say for higher up qualifications but I gained a one year diploma from the Open University UK.
I had the diploma assessed for immigration by WES and they gave the equivalent of a one year diploma/certificate from a college, university or trade school.
​​​​​
Old Feb 23rd 2020, 11:19 am
Sidecar Falcon

Originally Posted by Frazzle
I can't say for higher up qualifications but I gained a one year diploma from the Open University UK.
I had the diploma assessed for immigration by WES and they gave the equivalent of a one year diploma/certificate from a college, university or trade school.
​​​​​
It will be fine. Open University is full accredited under UK law with degree awarding powers. They're no different from any other accredited British university and nothing like the degree mills you often find in countries like America and India.
Old Feb 24th 2020, 3:39 am
Phaedrus by Plato (not5)

Phaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond repute

You had to ask "Is It?" The website is called British Expats after all....
Old Feb 24th 2020, 3:47 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Phaedru5
British Expats is open to everyone and everyone is welcome, no matter where they're from or where they're intending to go. The only stipulation BE puts on members is that they follow the forum rules.
Old Feb 24th 2020, 3:58 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Owned by an American company after all....
Old Feb 24th 2020, 4:00 am
Phaedrus by Plato (not5)

Phaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
British Expats is open to everyone and everyone is welcome, no matter where they're from or where they're intending to go. The only stipulation BE puts on members is that they follow the forum rules.
Open to everyone, and everyone is indeed welcome, yes. My point being that DigitalGhost simply pointed out that the website and forum 'British Expats' is, by its very Name and nature, "a forum for UK Expats and those with ties to the UK"
As DG goes on to say , of course everybody is welcome and I dont dispute that. Just thought the response 'Is it?' was a little petulant , since British Expats is infact the name of the website.
Anyone else coming on here is wholly welcome and free to do so, but cant really dispute the title and focus of the website. Like going on a sport website and complaining that it doesn't cater for cooking (excuse the pun).

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalGhost View Post
​​​​​​
Old Feb 24th 2020, 3:55 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Open to everyone, and everyone is indeed welcome, yes. My point being that DigitalGhost simply pointed out that the website and forum 'British Expats' is, by its very Name and nature, "a forum for UK Expats and those with ties to the UK"
As DG goes on to say , of course everybody is welcome and I dont dispute that. Just thought the response 'Is it?' was a little petulant , since British Expats is infact the name of the website.
Anyone else coming on here is wholly welcome and free to do so, but cant really dispute the title and focus of the website. Like going on a sport website and complaining that it doesn't cater for cooking (excuse the pun).

Being a British Expats forum - originally made by and for British Expats - it's always going to have immigration and general advice from a Brit perspective..and by doing so, it assists others who are hoping to become expats in various countries around the world.
Everyone welcome - of course...