Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Accompanying child.

Wikiposts

Accompanying child.

Old Jun 13th 2005, 8:30 am
Former Widnesian

stejill has a reputation beyond reputestejill has a reputation beyond reputestejill has a reputation beyond reputestejill has a reputation beyond reputestejill has a reputation beyond reputestejill has a reputation beyond reputestejill has a reputation beyond reputestejill has a reputation beyond reputestejill has a reputation beyond reputestejill has a reputation beyond reputestejill has a reputation beyond repute
Question Accompanying child.

Hi All,

Me again with a further question.

As mentioned in my 'Private Health Insurance' thread, my wife and I are permanent residents of Canada and will soon be returning as a returning resident with a travel document.

As mentioned, during our time here in the UK, we had a daughter who will be accompanying us to Canada. As returning residents we will apply for a PR card upon our arrival to Canada. CIC informed us to apply for permanent residence for our daughter when we arrive back in Canada. What we are unable to ascertain at the moment is the correct method of application i.e. Do we need to formally sponsor and apply for permanent residence for her or is she automatically eligible for a PR card due to the fact that both my wife and I are permanent residents?

During the brief conversation with the officer from CIC, he indicated we apply for residency for our daughter locally (i.e. in Alberta). Just wondering if anybody has any experience of this and or any information?

Many thanks and Regards
SteJill.
Old Jun 13th 2005, 2:36 pm
Cynically amused.

dingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Accompanying child.

Originally Posted by stejill
Hi All,

As mentioned in my 'Private Health Insurance' thread, my wife and I are permanent residents of Canada and will soon be returning as a returning resident with a travel document.

As mentioned, during our time here in the UK, we had a daughter who will be accompanying us to Canada. As returning residents we will apply for a PR card upon our arrival to Canada. CIC informed us to apply for permanent residence for our daughter when we arrive back in Canada. What we are unable to ascertain at the moment is the correct method of application i.e. Do we need to formally sponsor and apply for permanent residence for her or is she automatically eligible for a PR card due to the fact that both my wife and I are permanent residents?

During the brief conversation with the officer from CIC, he indicated we apply for residency for our daughter locally (i.e. in Alberta). Just wondering if anybody has any experience of this and or any information?

Many thanks and Regards
SteJill.
Things may have changed since 1996, but I was told as a returning resident then (first stint out here was 1991) that I had to have all the documentation for my son in place before I left the UK. My son was born while we were back in the UK. I also came into BC, not Alberta, so I don't know if that made a difference. CIC were very clear then that I had to apply to have my son added to the family before I left otherwise I might have problems at Vancouver (YVR).
Old Jun 16th 2005, 12:13 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Hi All,

Many thanks and Regards
SteJill.
Children born to PRs outside Canada have *no* status in Canada automatically. They must be sponsored to get permanent residence.

As you are not Canadian citizens you cannot sponsor your child from outside Canada.

If the child is a British citizen or other visa waiver national, he or she *might* be admitted at the port of entry as a visitor while you do the sponsorship. You must declare your intentions on arrival.

Ask on the immigration forum for more details.

Jeremy
Old Jun 17th 2005, 11:02 pm
Former Widnesian

stejill has a reputation beyond reputestejill has a reputation beyond reputestejill has a reputation beyond reputestejill has a reputation beyond reputestejill has a reputation beyond reputestejill has a reputation beyond reputestejill has a reputation beyond reputestejill has a reputation beyond reputestejill has a reputation beyond reputestejill has a reputation beyond reputestejill has a reputation beyond repute

Hi.

When you use the word *might*, do you mean they may refuse her entry? We will obviously be declaring our intentions of sponsoring her.

I had assumed that as we are returning permanent residents and she is our daughter, that it would be assumed she would be accompanying us and therefore would be allowed into Canada as a visitor until the sponsorship had been done.

Any further advice/information would be most helpful.

Originally Posted by JAJ
Children born to PRs outside Canada have *no* status in Canada automatically. They must be sponsored to get permanent residence.

As you are not Canadian citizens you cannot sponsor your child from outside Canada.

If the child is a British citizen or other visa waiver national, he or she *might* be admitted at the port of entry as a visitor while you do the sponsorship. You must declare your intentions on arrival.

Ask on the immigration forum for more details.

Jeremy
Old Jun 18th 2005, 1:11 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Hi.

When you use the word *might*, do you mean they may refuse her entry? We will obviously be declaring our intentions of sponsoring her.

I had assumed that as we are returning permanent residents and she is our daughter, that it would be assumed she would be accompanying us and therefore would be allowed into Canada as a visitor until the sponsorship had been done.

Any further advice/information would be most helpful.
Nothing is ever *certain* regarding admission of non Canadian citizens/PRs.

Also make sure the airline will not refuse boarding to your child on a one-way ticket - again this is usually not a problem for visa waiver nationals but check with the airline to be sure. Speak to a manager if you don't feel your question is being understood correctly.

Ask on the immigration forum if you need more information on this - the experts there will know more.

Jeremy