Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Accepted into University in Winnipeg...Now what????

Accepted into University in Winnipeg...Now what????

Old Feb 2nd 2017, 12:14 am
Just Joined

Dominick is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Accepted into University in Winnipeg...Now what????

Originally Posted by TrishP
Being the only large city geographically in the middle of Canada, Winnipeg gets much bigger named stars performing at concerts than Ottawa, which is sandwiched between the much larger Toronto and Montreal and only gets the dregs, like Bieber.
As for shopping, well, it's the same big box stores in every city in the country! One doesn't move to Canada for the exciting shopping prospects ...
I must hold my hand up and admit misreading when commuting on the bus!! ; )
Glad to see there are not too many Biebs fans over here!
Old Feb 2nd 2017, 8:45 am
Forum Regular

Obitim has a reputation beyond reputeObitim has a reputation beyond reputeObitim has a reputation beyond reputeObitim has a reputation beyond reputeObitim has a reputation beyond reputeObitim has a reputation beyond reputeObitim has a reputation beyond reputeObitim has a reputation beyond reputeObitim has a reputation beyond reputeObitim has a reputation beyond reputeObitim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dominick
Hey Obitim

Good to know and once again good luck with your adventure!
My reasoning behind moving over here was exactly the same and I picked MB over SK as well.
The good thing is that you can have your PR withing two years whereas I know people in Toronto who spent A LOT of money and it took 5-6 years to get the residency.
I believe the Peg is definitely "enough" for the Canadian story to take off but not necessarily as a final destination ; )
No worries! Great minds must think alike!

If you don't mind me asking, what industry do you work in and what route did you go down for PR?
Old Feb 2nd 2017, 3:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

dormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to behold

Each to their own, we all have different needs and wants. After living for 5 years on the East coast, Winnipeg is a veritable Metropolis, with more to do in one day than in a year in Nova Scotia, and much more welcoming, friendly and inclusive, but that is just my experience
Old Feb 3rd 2017, 9:50 pm
Just Joined

Dominick is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Obitim
No worries! Great minds must think alike!

If you don't mind me asking, what industry do you work in and what route did you go down for PR?
I work in accounting and got here through IEC applying for MPNP in the first year.
Old Feb 5th 2017, 6:00 am
Forum Regular

Obitim has a reputation beyond reputeObitim has a reputation beyond reputeObitim has a reputation beyond reputeObitim has a reputation beyond reputeObitim has a reputation beyond reputeObitim has a reputation beyond reputeObitim has a reputation beyond reputeObitim has a reputation beyond reputeObitim has a reputation beyond reputeObitim has a reputation beyond reputeObitim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dominick
I work in accounting and got here through IEC applying for MPNP in the first year.
Cheers, handy to know!

We're a bit old for IEC but hopefullywe'll be able to MPNP after a year...
Old May 11th 2017, 6:16 am
Forum Regular

CKMaddAll is a jewel in the roughCKMaddAll is a jewel in the roughCKMaddAll is a jewel in the roughCKMaddAll is a jewel in the rough

I'm a bit late to the party, but hey ho!

I moved to Winnipeg from London just shy of 4 years ago, and love living here. Yes the winter is shit and yes the mosquitoes are huge, but if you can survive those, then you have won half the battle.

I read many stories of the high crime rate on this forum, prior to moving, and was quite put off. However, I can safely say, that I feel far safer than I ever did in London. Crime is concentrated in specific areas; stay away from them, and you have nothing to worry about.

As mentioned before, house prices are super cheap when compared to the UK. We bought our 1,500 sqft, detached house, with basement, garage and front and back gardens for $230k 3 years ago - not sure how that compares to Leeds, but compared to London its incredible.

Winnipeg has great food, music, culture, the people are friendly, the commute is short, the summers are fabulous (you really do get used to the bugs!). Another huge plus is that there are not too many Brits here - you will instantly become a celebrity with your accent!
Old May 11th 2017, 11:33 am
Forum Regular

Cheers CK!

Which are the crime areas in Winnipeg? We;re looking at Osborne and after a walk round there it looked ok, but it's better to have local knowledge!

We're really looking forward to it to be honest!
Old May 11th 2017, 1:24 pm
Forum Regular

CKMaddAll is a jewel in the roughCKMaddAll is a jewel in the roughCKMaddAll is a jewel in the roughCKMaddAll is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Obitim
Cheers CK!

Which are the crime areas in Winnipeg? We;re looking at Osborne and after a walk round there it looked ok, but it's better to have local knowledge!

We're really looking forward to it to be honest!
You can actually check out the high crime areas using the Crimestat map: http://www.winnipeg.ca/police/crimestat/map.aspx. dont be put off by the apparent abundance of crime, as you probably have nothing to compare it whith!

Osborne is great- bustling and quite eccentric too (we have seen people walk their cats on a leash there!). The Toad in the Whole is a great pub, and lots of good places to eat too.

We live about 15 minutes walk from "The Village", in Earl Grey, just south of Corydon. The houses are old (ours is 104... ancient by Canadian standards!), community spirit is incredible (we know most of the families in our block), and we are just 15 mins bike ride to Downtown/The Exchange.

If I was looking for a house (and I go for character and community over "cookie cutter new builds", I would look at Osborne (close to The Park Theatre), Corydon from Waverley to Confusion Corner, and North of Grant, Academy (more upmarket), and Wolsely (Hipsterville!). All these areas would be in the $280k to $450k bracket (Academy perhaps more)
Old May 11th 2017, 2:25 pm
Forum Regular

Cheers CK, that's great info!

We'll take a look at the crime areas, but it appears the Osborne is the way to go! We'll be renting initially then see how things work out and if we can get PR...

Thank you for the help again! We're really quite excited about it!