Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Accepted into University in Winnipeg...Now what????

Accepted into University in Winnipeg...Now what????

Old Jan 24th 2017, 4:24 am
Forum Regular

Obitim has a reputation beyond reputeObitim has a reputation beyond reputeObitim has a reputation beyond reputeObitim has a reputation beyond reputeObitim has a reputation beyond reputeObitim has a reputation beyond reputeObitim has a reputation beyond reputeObitim has a reputation beyond reputeObitim has a reputation beyond reputeObitim has a reputation beyond reputeObitim has a reputation beyond repute
Default Accepted into University in Winnipeg...Now what????

Hi there,

Well, my wife and I have finally made the first steps to moving to Canada!

She was recently accepted to do a University course at the University of Winnipeg, we're looking at going out in January 2018 (need that amount of time to get the cash together to pay for the first year and hope I can get an open work visa)

However, I could do with some help from you guys as you've always been really helpful in the past.

Is there a guide on here for what to do on the UK side to get everything in order?

We're aware of the dual intention side of things so will be renting out our UK house (and have a load of questions about that but I'm going to see a letting agent soon!) and will be putting most of our stuff in storage so that we can prove our links to the UK (seeing as we can't prove that we'll leave as we can't buy a plane ticket 2 years in advance!)

If anyone has done this process before then any help is greatly appreciated or pointing me to any guides as well!

As ever, thanks in advance!
Old Jan 24th 2017, 4:39 am
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Accepted into University in Winnipeg...Now what????

Hi

Originally Posted by Obitim
Hi there,

Well, my wife and I have finally made the first steps to moving to Canada!

She was recently accepted to do a University course at the University of Winnipeg, we're looking at going out in January 2018 (need that amount of time to get the cash together to pay for the first year and hope I can get an open work visa)

However, I could do with some help from you guys as you've always been really helpful in the past.

Is there a guide on here for what to do on the UK side to get everything in order?

We're aware of the dual intention side of things so will be renting out our UK house (and have a load of questions about that but I'm going to see a letting agent soon!) and will be putting most of our stuff in storage so that we can prove our links to the UK (seeing as we can't prove that we'll leave as we can't buy a plane ticket 2 years in advance!)

If anyone has done this process before then any help is greatly appreciated or pointing me to any guides as well!

As ever, thanks in advance!
1. Assuming that it is a full time course, you should start your reading here: Study in Canada
Old Jan 24th 2017, 4:47 am
Forum Regular

Obitim has a reputation beyond reputeObitim has a reputation beyond reputeObitim has a reputation beyond reputeObitim has a reputation beyond reputeObitim has a reputation beyond reputeObitim has a reputation beyond reputeObitim has a reputation beyond reputeObitim has a reputation beyond reputeObitim has a reputation beyond reputeObitim has a reputation beyond reputeObitim has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers PMM!

We'll be having a good read of that site and getting our act together with that, I'm a bit more concerned about the practical Uk side of getting our stuff sorted well...

We were lucky enough to go to an education fair at Canada House in London and got a contact who's been really helpful...next Canada stage is the study permit but we'll be looking at applying forthat in the Summer we suspect...
Old Jan 24th 2017, 7:58 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers PMM!

We'll be having a good read of that site and getting our act together with that, I'm a bit more concerned about the practical Uk side of getting our stuff sorted well...
I'll move your thread then, as it doesn't seem to be related to visas. Have you looked at the 'Leaving To do List' in the Wiki? And the 'Arrival To do List'? They should have all of the things to do on there to give you an idea of where to start.

Best of luck.
Old Jan 24th 2017, 11:34 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
I'll move your thread then, as it doesn't seem to be related to visas. Have you looked at the 'Leaving To do List' in the Wiki? And the 'Arrival To do List'? They should have all of the things to do on there to give you an idea of where to start.

Best of luck.
Many thanks Christmas, I'll have a gander!
Old Jan 24th 2017, 11:40 am
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute

no useful info, but congrats!!! You must be excited
Old Jan 24th 2017, 11:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Ah Winnipeg and arriving in January. Don't forget to pack t shirts, shorts and light clothing because in 2 weeks after arriving you will need them for the
Get Me The **** Out Of Here vacation in Jamaica, Mexico or Cuba.
Old Jan 24th 2017, 11:55 am
BE Forum Addict

Hurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond repute

I have made up my own 'to do list' spreadsheet with actions broken down into 'Leaving the UK' and 'Arriving in Canada'.

My list is of course specific to my own situation (spousal sponsorship etc.).

I would be happy to send you an Excel copy if you want to PM me your email address.....
Old Jan 24th 2017, 2:22 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Howefamily
no useful info, but congrats!!! You must be excited
We are! Also a bit anxious as well, but in a good way!
Old Jan 24th 2017, 2:23 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Ah Winnipeg and arriving in January. Don't forget to pack t shirts, shorts and light clothing because in 2 weeks after arriving you will need them for the
Get Me The **** Out Of Here vacation in Jamaica, Mexico or Cuba.
Well, if you're going to do it...then do it properly I guess!
Old Jan 24th 2017, 2:24 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Hurlabrick
I have made up my own 'to do list' spreadsheet with actions broken down into 'Leaving the UK' and 'Arriving in Canada'.

My list is of course specific to my own situation (spousal sponsorship etc.).

I would be happy to send you an Excel copy if you want to PM me your email address.....
Cheers Hurlabrick! That sounds ace!

I'll drop you my email!
Old Jan 24th 2017, 2:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Do your own research on Winnipeg and don't rely too much on posters views on Winnipeg unless they actually live there and can give you both positive and negatives about the City.
They are having a mini heat wave at the moment
67 hours above freezing a record January thaw for Winnipeg - Manitoba - CBC News
Old Jan 24th 2017, 2:48 pm
Forum Regular

yeah, I have heard that before...

We went there in June and really liked it, we visited Osbourne Village as well as a potential place initially and maybe to stay, see how that goes!

I've been listening to the one of the local stations and they mentioned the heatwave!
Old Jan 24th 2017, 11:46 pm
Edo
BE Forum Addict

Edo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond repute

This should be helpful.
Old Jan 25th 2017, 5:25 am
BE Enthusiast

Tootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond repute

My husband has been working in Winnipeg this winter, It was -40 two weeks ago!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.