Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Accent complaint

Accent complaint

Old Feb 8th 2005, 6:15 pm
Glaswegian

Default Accent complaint

Someone I work with has an issue with the fact I have an "accent" (like Canadians don't, eh?) ... in the UK I could smack him around the head with a racial discrimination complaint ... anyone got any experience of doing the same in Canada?

Old Feb 8th 2005, 6:19 pm
Deep in the red C.

Iginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Accent complaint

Haven't had it as bad yet as to consider it rude, thank god.

Although many patients at work comment that my accent is strange and ask where I come from.

About 70% see the joke and another 30% are left with a very confused look when I tell them Medicine Hat!
Old Feb 8th 2005, 6:35 pm
Glaswegian

Originally Posted by Iginla
Haven't had it as bad yet as to consider it rude, thank god.

Although many patients at work comment that my accent is strange and ask where I come from.

About 70% see the joke and another 30% are left with a very confused look when I tell them Medicine Hat!
Most people like it or start a story about how their grand dad came from Scotland in nineteen-canteen or whatever ... I've only come across two people in almost four years who have had a real issue with it.

Old Feb 8th 2005, 6:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

willmore has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Glaswegian
Someone I work with has an issue with the fact I have an "accent" (like Canadians don't, eh?) ... in the UK I could smack him around the head with a racial discrimination complaint ... anyone got any experience of doing the same in Canada?
Tell him/her to FOAD and get a life......if he/she don't like living in a country as multi-cultural as Canada - move somewhere else.....the nerve of some people......
Old Feb 8th 2005, 6:47 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

You have an accent??? I'd never noticed
Old Feb 8th 2005, 6:53 pm
Glaswegian

Originally Posted by willmore
Tell him/her to FOAD and get a life.....
There's a certain percentage of Canadians who have a major issue ... they just don't know when they've crossed the line ... I don't think most of them would last 5 minutes out on their own in any major UK city

They just aren't smart enough to know that a polite, quiet, calm Glaswegian just isn't in a very good mood ...

Same goes for anyone from any of the traditional inner city areas in the UK's industrial centres ... start worrying and take a step back when we stop being friendly and start being very, very polite.

Old Feb 8th 2005, 6:57 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

start worrying and take a step back when we stop being friendly and start being very, very polite.
Have you seen Trainspotting yet? You still sound like a Begbie!
Old Feb 8th 2005, 7:02 pm
Glaswegian

Originally Posted by iaink
Have you seen Trainspotting yet? You still sound like a Begbie!
Not yet ... just imagine Begbie the size and shape of a typical rugby hooker ...

Old Feb 8th 2005, 7:08 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

OMG You're not kidding are you? People in the UK would really do that to someone because they commented on another person's accent? And I thought the US was overly PC. I see that we have a lot to learn and damn straight hoping we never learn it.

My Canuck is often asked about his accent down here in the States. He laughs it off with a joke or two and then lays the accent on heavier and thicker ;-)

For myself, as an American, while I might find conversations with accented people difficult because of my hearing impairment, I would not think to mention it unless it was so thick that I was truly unable to understand what was being said and had to mention it with some type of gracious apology when asking to speak with someone else.

Rete
Old Feb 8th 2005, 7:23 pm
Glaswegian

Originally Posted by Rete
OMG You're not kidding are you? People in the UK would really do that to someone because they commented on another person's accent?
No, I'm not joking.

There's a fine line between commenting on it, which doesn't bother me, and complaining about it in a professional context ... the implication being that an accent could be a career limiting characteristic.

I like your comment about "accented people" ... I'm obviously the vocal equivalent of a "colored person"

It's very unusual for a Canadian to comment on an accent in anything apart from a positive way ... anyone who commented on a quebeccer's accented English would be in deep doo-doo ... or they would get told to "Farg off"

Old Feb 8th 2005, 7:24 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

I always maintain that its not me that has the accent, its all these bloody foreigners around me We Brits brought the langauge here, and they have gone and bastardised it!
Old Feb 8th 2005, 7:26 pm
Forum Regular

prodigyking will become famous soon enough

Why is this such a big deal? It's not like your co-worker is making it up? You do have an accent. You can't sue somebody because they are pointing out the truth.

Have you tried to adapt to the local accent? Maybe they should sue you for incomptence in adaptation :scared:
Old Feb 8th 2005, 7:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

willmore has disabled reputation

There's a certain percentage of Canadians who have a major issue ... they just don't know when they've crossed the line ... I don't think most of them would last 5 minutes out on their own in any major UK city

They just aren't smart enough to know that a polite, quiet, calm Glaswegian just isn't in a very good mood ...

Same goes for anyone from any of the traditional inner city areas in the UK's industrial centres ... start worrying and take a step back when we stop being friendly and start being very, very polite.
Knew that expression did you.....I nicked it from a IT guy whose a good friend.....

This type of prejudice has been going on for many years. I can remember the stories from the polish side of my family moving to Canada and my dad/grandparents had to learn english....they were confronted with this type of small-mindedness all the time.....I have no patience for this type of nonesense......

You know of course that you and all other immigrants aren't the one's with the problem. It makes me ashamed to be Canadian to hear stories like this....that expression is a very effective way to make your feelings known very clearly......

And yes, I've learned the hard way......about Glaswegians when they stop being friendly and start being very very polite.......
Old Feb 8th 2005, 7:33 pm
Glaswegian

Originally Posted by prodigyking
Why is this such a big deal? It's not like your co-worker is making it up? You do have an accent. You can't sue somebody because they are pointing out the truth.

Have you tried to adapt to the local accent? Maybe they should sue you for incomptence in adaptation :scared:
Hey bud ... I've missed you and you're quaintly warped Albanian world view

I've got an accent with a heritage that I'm proud of ... believe it or not I've also used a north american accent training course ... I learned to spread budda on my bread and use a dellifone for making calls ... it's really hard to cover up the underlying nature of your native accent.

Are you in Quebec yet, or did they successfully stop you at the border as you marched across weapon proudly held aloft to startle the natives?

Some day when you're all growed up and your world view has expanded a bit, you'll appreciate the finer points of career progression

In the meantime, go back to the nursery and play with your dollies

Old Feb 8th 2005, 7:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Corky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to behold

Wow I am amazed.....he must be a redneck westerner with no personality!
I'm with Willmore...........tell him where to go!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.