Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Absent parent...

Absent parent...

Old Apr 3rd 2014, 12:29 pm
Just Joined

pintsizejenny71 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Absent parent...

Thank you. I have paid for private healthcare for 6 months. The school advised it was just my proof of Canadian citizenship they needed and obviously his fathers permission. I hope to have clarity in everything tomorrow. To be honest, if have had such mixed information my head is spinning.
Old Apr 3rd 2014, 12:38 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pintsizejenny71
Thank you. I have paid for private healthcare for 6 months. The school advised it was just my proof of Canadian citizenship they needed and obviously his fathers permission. I hope to have clarity in everything tomorrow. To be honest, if have had such mixed information my head is spinning.
I bet it is! I thought you didn't have your citizenship proof yet, or has that come through now? If so, then you could sponsor your son for his PR now, which would make things much easier.

It'll take around 6-8 months to obtain, but at least once it's underway he shouldn't have any problem being admitted to Canada (and is likely to get the full amount of time), and he'll also be a legal resident much sooner for things like healthcare. Another advantage if he's 15 is that he'd be able to work once PR comes through, often 15/16 year olds like a part-time job but that wouldn't be possible for him until you've got his PR sorted.

If you've got your citizenship cert already then that's also going to make things easier for you in terms of getting admitted to Canada and being able to do things like get a driving licence. Phew!
Old Apr 3rd 2014, 12:48 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

Thank you, no I don't have a visa for him at the moment. Am paying a visit to Canadian Embassy in London tomorrow, so hopefully a clearer understanding.
Sorry, I've only just seen this, but don't bother! You can't go in to the Canadian High Commission and get advice, they only have a drop off box for applications and that's it unless you have an appointment.

If you want info on visas then they expect you to look at the CIC website, or to consult a licensed immigration consultant. But really, you only have one option for your son which is to sponsor him for PR once you've got your proof of citizenship. Any questions about it, the good peeps of BE will be happy to help with.
Old Apr 3rd 2014, 1:29 pm
Just Joined

Proof of citizenship not arrived as yet!! Spoke on the phone to consulate and they are happy to see me tomorrow am. So hoping they will give me all info I need. Thank you again. :
Old Apr 3rd 2014, 1:31 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Proof of citizenship not arrived as yet!! Spoke on the phone to consulate and they are happy to see me tomorrow am. So hoping they will give me all info I need. Thank you again. :
You mean the Canadian High Commission? They've given you an appointment just to give you advice on visas? How did you even manage to speak to somebody?

Curiouser and curiouser...........
Old Apr 3rd 2014, 2:54 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
You mean the Canadian High Commission? They've given you an appointment just to give you advice on visas? How did you even manage to speak to somebody?

Curiouser and curiouser...........
Canadian citizen overseas, you can see someone at the HC without problem. Doing my OH application, I called up, spoke to the IO right away, got an appointment next day, he processed my sponsorship, her PR app and issued med forms in under 2 hours. He was very helpful.

Things may have changed now though.
Old Apr 3rd 2014, 3:01 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by Aviator
Canadian citizen overseas, you can see someone at the HC without problem. Doing my OH application, I called up, spoke to the IO right away, got an appointment next day, he processed my sponsorship, her PR app and issued med forms in under 2 hours. He was very helpful.

Things may have changed now though.
You can't normally even speak to someone, and although they do see citizens, it's normally only the 'I'm holidaying in the UK and lost my passport' emergency type thing, not generic visa advice. Particularly as the OP only has one possible option for her son, which is to sponsor him for PR once she's got her citizenship cert.

Most strange!
Old Apr 4th 2014, 12:23 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

You need to understand that your son can't live in Canada as a visitor. Really - he can't do that. It's not just about what the school wants, it's also about what the Canadian government wants. Your son is not exempt from the immigration laws of Canada just because you're a Canadian citizen. Without Canadian citizenship or permanent residence, he will be restricted in healthcare, travel, education and working, and if the situation persists until after he's age 18, he will likely have to leave Canada and return to his home country.

He might already be a Canadian citizen if you were born on or after February 15, 1977. Is this the case?

Otherwise you need to sponsor him for migration to Canada. He can become a Canadian citizen straight away after arriving if he is a permanent resident. This should be your objective.
Old Apr 4th 2014, 4:12 am
BE Enthusiast

farjojo71 has a reputation beyond reputefarjojo71 has a reputation beyond reputefarjojo71 has a reputation beyond reputefarjojo71 has a reputation beyond reputefarjojo71 has a reputation beyond reputefarjojo71 has a reputation beyond reputefarjojo71 has a reputation beyond reputefarjojo71 has a reputation beyond reputefarjojo71 has a reputation beyond reputefarjojo71 has a reputation beyond reputefarjojo71 has a reputation beyond repute

Just had a call from my solicitor, they have traced my sons Father and are getting a statement signed by him for agreement to take him to Canada... Relief check 1.
That's great news! I held my breath when I asked my ex if he would sign....then tried not to look overly relieved when he said yes lol. Hope everything goes ok for you
Old Apr 4th 2014, 10:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

Correct me if i'm wrong but the law for Canadian citizenship by descent changed in 2009, with those born before 2009 not affected ?
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/citizenship/rules_2009.asp

I think it depends on if OP was registered (or is interpreted by CIC as registered) as a Canadian citizen before her son's birth

Anyway if her son can't get citizenship immediately he can get PR and then immediately on arrival in Canada get citizenship... He would then have it not by descent and be able to pass it on to any kids born abroad, correct?

I'm curious, OP, is your son willing to move here or would he rather stay in the UK if it were up to him?

HTH
Old Apr 5th 2014, 2:50 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gozitanguygoinghome99xx
Correct me if i'm wrong but the law for Canadian citizenship by descent changed in 2009, with those born before 2009 not affected ?
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/citizenship/rules_2009.asp

I think it depends on if OP was registered (or is interpreted by CIC as registered) as a Canadian citizen before her son's birth
It depends on whether someone (the parent) was Canadian under the pre-2009 law when the child was born. Normally if the parent was born on or after 15.02.1977 this will be the case. It may (or may not) apply if the parent has a pre-2009 Canadian citizenship registration document.

Also - and it doesn't apply in this situation (since the child in question is 15) - but someone born between 15.02.1977 and 16.04.1981 with a Canadian citizen (by descent) parent will usually have lost Canadian citizenship at age 28. Unless retention was applied for and obtained.

Anyway if her son can't get citizenship immediately he can get PR and then immediately on arrival in Canada get citizenship... He would then have it not by descent and be able to pass it on to any kids born abroad, correct?
He can get PR as long as he's a dependent child and there aren't any other bars to grant of permanent residence. Leave it another couple of years and he may not be eligible for anything.

That's correct, if he is admitted to Canada as PR and is under 18 (with a Canadian parent) he can normally get Canadian citizenship by grant/naturalisation straight away. And this would be Canadian citizenship otherwise than by descent.

So, a more complex route to citizenship, but a better class of citizenship. However, there isn't an option model. He can only take the second option to become naturalised Canadian) if he is not already a Canadian citizen by descent.
Old Apr 5th 2014, 2:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
It depends on whether someone (the parent) was Canadian under the pre-2009 law when the child was born. Normally if the parent was born on or after 15.02.1977 this will be the case. It may (or may not) apply if the parent has a pre-2009 Canadian citizenship registration document.

Also - and it doesn't apply in this situation (since the child in question is 15) - but someone born between 15.02.1977 and 16.04.1981 with a Canadian citizen (by descent) parent will usually have lost Canadian citizenship at age 28. Unless retention was applied for and obtained.

He can get PR as long as he's a dependent child and there aren't any other bars to grant of permanent residence. Leave it another couple of years and he may not be eligible for anything.

That's correct, if he is admitted to Canada as PR and is under 18 (with a Canadian parent) he can normally get Canadian citizenship by grant/naturalisation straight away. And this would be Canadian citizenship otherwise than by descent.

So, a more complex route to citizenship, but a better class of citizenship. However, there isn't an option model. He can only take the second option to become naturalised Canadian) if he is not already a Canadian citizen by descent.

Exactly... I don't think he could go the PR route if he was eligible for citizenship by descent... I think you can only do the PR route if he is ineligible for citizenship by descent...
Old Aug 4th 2014, 5:05 am
Just Joined

Good evening all,

With reference to the above dilemma, I am in. Canada, been here for three months and have my proof of citizenship... Whoop whoop. Life is good, job etc.
Question is, my son is 15 was born in 1998 in the UK, is he a Canadian citizen by descent. I was granted citizenship as my mum is Canadian, I was first born and by descent. I am unsure as the Citizenship act changed 2009 and mixed answers as to his rights. Both his father and myself were born in the UK, his grand parents and great grand parents are Canadian by birth.

If he is not, is PR the fasted way to get legal status in Canada for him?

Thank you..
Jen
Old Aug 4th 2014, 6:07 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Good evening all,

With reference to the above dilemma, I am in. Canada, been here for three months and have my proof of citizenship... Whoop whoop. Life is good, job etc.
Question is, my son is 15 was born in 1998 in the UK, is he a Canadian citizen by descent. I was granted citizenship as my mum is Canadian, I was first born and by descent. I am unsure as the Citizenship act changed 2009 and mixed answers as to his rights. Both his father and myself were born in the UK, his grand parents and great grand parents are Canadian by birth.

If he is not, is PR the fasted way to get legal status in Canada for him?

Thank you..
Jen
As had been mentioned several times in the thread, you will likely need to apply for PR for him. Once he has his PR status (about 8 months) he will be able to apply for Citizenship immediately.

You could use the 'am I a canadian citizen already' tool on the CIC website to determine for certain, but the general consensus is that he is not a citizen at the present time.

Last edited by Siouxie; Aug 4th 2014 at 6:11 am.
Old Aug 4th 2014, 8:41 am
Just Joined

Thank you, that was my initial understanding and I have applied for PR for him, it was just a few people had said he may be a Canadian Citizen as my citizenship was granted in 1971 the year of my birth so it was a possibility he was as prior to 2009 act.

Thanks

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.