Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

About to Land/Partner Pregnant

About to Land/Partner Pregnant

Old Feb 19th 2008, 6:35 am
Forum Regular

garymc has a brilliant futuregarymc has a brilliant futuregarymc has a brilliant futuregarymc has a brilliant futuregarymc has a brilliant futuregarymc has a brilliant future
Default About to Land/Partner Pregnant

Can anyone tell me what my options are????

Having planned to Land as PR in Ontario in March of this year, that is my Partner,daughter and myself, we have just found out that my girlfriend is about 4weeks pregnant.

Will this end our attempt to succesfully land in Canada?

If we did land and game back to have the baby what effect would this have on his/her status as a PR of Canada as he/she was obviously not on any application forms.

God I make things difficult!!!!!!!

Thanks
Gary
Old Feb 19th 2008, 6:38 am

or4ngecrush is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: About to Land/Partner Pregnant

sorry I can't help you but I know that someone will be along soon to give you some advice, it's probably very straightforward don't worry about it too much.

I just wanted to say congratulations....
Old Feb 19th 2008, 6:58 am
BE Forum Addict

destinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond repute

I seem to remember a previous thread on here where someone had a baby outside of Canada. The baby had not been on the application and therefore was not eligible for PR. As you can not sponsor a child under family class the child could not live in Canada.

She really must have the baby in Canada as I remember, or you create a nightmare for yourselves.
Old Feb 19th 2008, 1:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Elaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond repute

First off Congratulations

Just remember that when you come to Ontario there is a waiting period before you are eligible for OHIP I think it's 3 months. You can of course see a doctor in that time as long as you pay for it. I'm sure somebody else will be along to give you more detailed info.
Old Feb 19th 2008, 1:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by destinationnovascotia
I seem to remember a previous thread on here where someone had a baby outside of Canada. The baby had not been on the application and therefore was not eligible for PR. As you can not sponsor a child under family class the child could not live in Canada.

She really must have the baby in Canada as I remember, or you create a nightmare for yourselves.
That's before you land though. If your family make-up alters before you land and you haven't told CIC, that can invalidate your PR and that's probably what you remember about not being able to sponsor the child ever, etc.

If the OP is landing in a few weeks (March he said) and his wife is 4wks pregnant now, it's not an issue for CIC at all.

Health cover should be looked at obviously though, I don't think insurers will cover for a pre-existing condition such a pregnancy. Looks like they'd avoid huge delivery bills timewise, but I don't know what routine check ups and scans cost.
Old Feb 19th 2008, 4:16 pm
Forum Regular

garymc has a brilliant futuregarymc has a brilliant futuregarymc has a brilliant futuregarymc has a brilliant futuregarymc has a brilliant futuregarymc has a brilliant future

Hi all

Thanks for replying everyone.

So lets see if I have this correct. We know now, before we all Land, that we have a baby on the way Sep/Oct which will alter our family make-up from what we have indicated to CIC on our application.

However as we will all land between March and June of this year the family that is landing is exactly the same that appears on the applications and so there is no need to inform CIC of the future baby that we all know is coming, is this correct?

We will probably be back here in the UK for the birth though, do you think that it would be a good idea to contact CIC for advice.

Cheers
G
Old Feb 19th 2008, 4:24 pm
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by garymc
We will probably be back here in the UK for the birth though, do you think that it would be a good idea to contact CIC for advice.
Oh God, that changes everything!

Can't you arrange for the baby to be born in Canada? Then he/she would be a Canadian citizen from the get go, and there would be no complications.

When you ask questions here, my friend, context is everything. That one little bit of additional context makes the previous responses null and void.
Old Feb 19th 2008, 4:55 pm
NS covern member #1

Poppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond repute

As Judy said there, if the baby was born here it is automatically a Canadian citizen and able to hold both a UK and a Canadian passport -bingo. But if born in the UK it becomes another application and more money and hurdles aplenty (I assume).

If the return to the UK is because of family seeing the baby , then remember that they can always make the most of some pretty great flight deals (Zoom and Canadian Affair.....and many others) and come over here to await the great event.

And you must know that as a rule women arent allowed to fly after 32-34 weeks, so she would need to go to the UK for a long time, I presume without you if you are working and eligible to the usual Annual Leave allowance. Also, should she have any bleeding (which is common in pregnancy) or any other problems/issues that require constant observation, she wouldnt be allowed to fly at all. Just a few things to think about.

Good luck and congratulations though! I would just get over here and see what happens come the summer, because plans will no doubt come and go as it is still very early days!
Old Feb 19th 2008, 9:52 pm
Forum Regular

Hi

Once again thanks for the reply's

That would be the answer to all go to Canada and have our baby there, problem solved.

However my biggest problem from the start is that I have been the one who ever since secondary school have wanted to give it a try in Canada and subsequently submitted an application in 2005. My partner was never really that keen on the idea but thought nothing would come of our application anyway.

I thought that my biggest hurdle was the fact that I was charged with breaking a window over 11 years ago and also with breach of the peace, but I put together what I knew to be a factual application, telling no lies and supplying more than adequate information for every part of the application. I spent a great deal of time in getting everything correct.

Now with the Visa's in hand I intended to go for six months myself to see if I could get set up as an Electrician hoping that my partner would decide to follow once I was away for a while and had a rented place for her and my daughter to stay.The flight is still booked.

Hold on!!! a new arrival is on it's way and my partner does not want to have the baby in Canada due to the fact that with our first child she had a bit of Post Natal Depression but with the assistance of close family she got through it ok.

There are other things like having our house here in the UK and my partner would like to see a bit more of Canada before she said OK to going full time.

Basically in order for this application to be succesfull then my partner needed to want this to happen as much as me and now with our new baby on the way I am realising that my dream may never be.

But that's life for you, some things are not meant to be. On the brighter side of things, I can look forward to our new arrival. It'll just take a little time to let go of the Canada thing....

Thanks for all your points.
Gary
Old Feb 19th 2008, 10:02 pm
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

Basically in order for this application to be succesfull then my partner needed to want this to happen as much as me and now with our new baby on the way I am realising that my dream may never be.
I'm sorry that your partner doesn't want the same thing as you do, Gary.
Old Feb 19th 2008, 10:03 pm

bazzz is an unknown quantity at this point

Sounds to me like your visa would have been better off going to a family that actually wanted to move to Canada.
Old Feb 19th 2008, 10:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

britsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond repute

My advice would be to encourage your girlfriend to have the baby in Canada maybe see if a family member is willing to come over around the time of the birth and if she wants to head back to the UK after the birth to show off the baby and get some family support, that would be your best options.

If she does go back for the birth you may have to apply to sponsor the baby as a dependant child afterwards.

I would say go ahead and land next month as this will still leave your options open.
Old Feb 19th 2008, 10:42 pm
Forum Regular

Will keep you informed of what happens.

Bazzz, glad everything went smooth for your self, in future if you dont actually have anything constructive to say then dont say anything at all.

Gary
Old Feb 19th 2008, 10:53 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Bazzz, glad everything went smooth for your self, in future if you dont actually have anything constructive to say then dont say anything at all.

Gary
That, sadly, would be out of character.
Old Feb 19th 2008, 10:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Elaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
That, sadly, would be out of character.
Without Bazzz it would get boring around here

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.