Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

About to Land/Partner Pregnant

About to Land/Partner Pregnant

Old Feb 20th 2008, 1:03 am

bazzz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: About to Land/Partner Pregnant

I don't see how it's in poor taste. It's a perfectly reasonable option. Thousands of people have one every day. If it was an unplanned pregnancy then it's probably preferable to bringing an unwanted child into the world. I don't if that's the case here as he hasn't really elaborated on the situation.
Old Feb 20th 2008, 1:11 am
BE Forum Addict

Elaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bazzz
I don't if that's the case here as he hasn't really elaborated on the situation.
And why anybody would discuss that on a public forum is beyond me.
Old Feb 20th 2008, 1:14 am

bazzz is an unknown quantity at this point

What's the point in asking for advice on an issue if you're not going to give everyone the relevant facts? If they don't necessarily want to keep the baby then it makes a huge difference to their plans.
Old Feb 20th 2008, 1:28 am
NS covern member #1

Poppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond repute

I think as they didnt post and ask us what the options were regarding the pregnancy, but rather about immigration etc, it really isnt appropriate to discuss such matters. Its just being a squeaky wheel to get attention as far as I can see. Hope you are never in the situation of having to contemplate anything as grim as an abortion, but there may be some here who have, so is there any need to go further down this road and offend people?

There's being contentious, and then there's just being a tw*t and you are being the latter.
Old Feb 20th 2008, 3:01 am
BE Forum Addict

live to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry, I am going to stick up for bazzz here.

We are always offering our opinions on here, whether they are relevant to a topic or a question asked in the original thread.

For example advising people to get joint bank accounts and tenancy agreements if they are planning on maybe applying for PR together or sponsorship. Many people may have had a bad experience with a partner put a joint account into debt etc. We don't worry about offending them.

I like the balance on here that bazzz (and me to some extent) will tell you more how it is, where as Gaynor for example will be all sweet and fluffy - you get lots of opinions.

Yes, abortion is not pleasant but it is everywhere around us in the modern society that we choose to live in, and is one option for the OP considering his circumstances.

I am a great one in believing that you should consider all your options before you make a decision so you can make an informed one.

I'm still suspicious of the timing of this pregnancy.........

Last edited by live to ski; Feb 20th 2008 at 3:03 am.
Old Feb 20th 2008, 4:20 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by live to ski
How about putting the guilt card on the girlfriend. Saying that by having the baby in Canada she is giving it the amazing 'gift' of having dual nationality (assuming it is eligable for UK as well from parents), and then it will have all the wonderful opportunities ahead of it that our parents never gave us and hence the PR headaches.

For this, all she has to do is living in Canada for a few months and give birth here. If she doesn't like it she can fly back to the UK almost immediately.

The baby will be a citizen, and (you'll have to check on this precisely) potentailly you'll all keep PR even living in the UK cos you are accompanied by a citizen.
Parents don't get to keep PR because of a child who is a citizen. (it works the other way around).
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/informa...des/5445EA.asp

But the child gets to keep citizenship even if the parents lose PR.
Old Feb 20th 2008, 4:31 am
BE Forum Addict

live to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
Parents don't get to keep PR because of a child who is a citizen. (it works the other way around).
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/informa...des/5445EA.asp

But the child gets to keep citizenship even if the parents lose PR.
Thanks for clarifying that JAJ - there is one family who has just left Canada under this impression who is potentially going to have a nasty shock at some point in their future
Old Feb 20th 2008, 7:38 am
BE Forum Addict

destinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
If your girlfriend has issues with the move, then why don't you at least "land" yourself? Plus her, if she wants to keep her options open?

Arrival of a baby after you "land" won't cancel your PR status. As others have said it would be a hassle to sponsor the child but probably easier than it would be to reapply from scratch.
I was of the understanding that it was not possible for parents to sponsor a child.

I am sure I remember someone on here with that very situation

Am I wrong?
Old Feb 20th 2008, 8:05 am
BE Enthusiast

britsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond repute

It's not possible to sponsor an adult child but it is possible to sponsor a dependant.
Old Feb 20th 2008, 2:58 pm
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by destinationnovascotia
I was of the understanding that it was not possible for parents to sponsor a child.
As Britsnake said, you can sponsor a dependent child.

I think you may be confused with people who have minor children at the time that they submit their PR applications and who choose not to include those children in their PR applications.

CIC's guide to PR Applications for Skilled Workers states:

IMPORTANT! You must list all family members, whether they wish to be considered in your application for permanent residence at this time or not. Also list family members whose location is unknown (including those missing or presumed dead). You will not be able to sponsor family members at a later date if they are not listed on your application.

Examples we've seen on the forum have been divorced parents who are moving to Canada while their children stay behind in the UK with the other parent.

However, if a dependent child is born outside of Canada once the parents already have PR status, the parents can sponsor the child.
Old Feb 20th 2008, 3:12 pm
NS covern member #1

Poppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by live to ski
Sorry, I am going to stick up for bazzz here.

We are always offering our opinions on here, whether they are relevant to a topic or a question asked in the original thread.

For example advising people to get joint bank accounts and tenancy agreements if they are planning on maybe applying for PR together or sponsorship. Many people may have had a bad experience with a partner put a joint account into debt etc. We don't worry about offending them.

I like the balance on here that bazzz (and me to some extent) will tell you more how it is, where as Gaynor for example will be all sweet and fluffy - you get lots of opinions.

Yes, abortion is not pleasant but it is everywhere around us in the modern society that we choose to live in, and is one option for the OP considering his circumstances.

I am a great one in believing that you should consider all your options before you make a decision so you can make an informed one.

I'm still suspicious of the timing of this pregnancy.........
I think those examples of what people seek advice for are relevant, the aspect of people giving unsolicited advice regarding a pregnancy is not what this site is about. Also Bazzz wasnt, imho, giving his balanced opinion, he was being contentious as far as I can see - the OP stated that it wasnt an option, or one he had asked for.

There are sites where people can advise on life's big conundrums...........this is about relocating our lives and living well in our new lives..........not a platform for unsolicited, personal, offensive advice. And I guess, it is for the OP to decide if he feels his new baby's arrival is suspicious, I cant see how that has anything to do with us. Or that he asked our opinion on how fishy we all thought it was.

I would be surprised if the OP bothers to return after such stupid responses (not referring to the great responses he actually did get to the question he DID actually ask).
Old Feb 20th 2008, 4:07 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

I think Bazzz may have been a bit OTT, but he (and L2S) have at least raised the issue of the suspiciously convenient (for the unconvinced OH) timing of the pregnancy. I must say that my first thought on reading the original post and the OP's subsequent clarification was that if the girlfriend really doesn't want to come to Canada at all and it's been the OP's lifelong dream then it doesn't bode well for the longevity of the relationship.

Something as fundamental as a desire to move to a different continent ought to be something both partners are agreed on - it's not as if the granting of visas will have come as a surprise, with the current waiting times. I thought Bazzz's first comment (before the whole abortion thing started) was a fair one - if they're not both serious about wanting to go to Canada, why "waste" a visa when another family who really want to come could have benefited from it?

Oh, and a declaration of my interest in this: my OH was (very) pregnant when we came over. Our daughter, born here a couple of months after our arrival, is the only Canadian citizen in our household. We came over on a WP through intra-company transfer so didn't have CIC notifications etc to worry about, but we definitely feel it was in everyone's interest to get over here as a whole family and get on with it rather than have half of us here and half in the UK.
Old Feb 20th 2008, 4:24 pm
Forum Regular

garymc has a brilliant futuregarymc has a brilliant futuregarymc has a brilliant futuregarymc has a brilliant futuregarymc has a brilliant futuregarymc has a brilliant future

Many thanks for that thread Poppy2, hit the nail on the head.

I do not require advice with regards my options with this unborn child, right or wrong each has their own opinion on that, however the decision has been made as far as I am concerned.

Obviously advice that I do require is to do with the immigration side of things , what my options are and what is the best route to follow.

And bazzz, said in the correct manner some of your comments would get a reply.

Anyway, I think having read some sensible/helpful threads the route that I will follow is to all land in Canada before Visa's expire, have the baby back in UK and sponsor it.

More work but i'll get there.
Old Feb 20th 2008, 4:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by garymc
the route that I will follow is to all land in Canada before Visa's expire, have the baby back in UK and sponsor it.
You know that only citizens can sponsor from abroad, PRs must be in Canada to sponsor, so you won't be able to sponsor the baby from the UK.
Old Feb 20th 2008, 4:32 pm
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Biiiiink
You know that only citizens can sponsor from abroad, PRs must be in Canada to sponsor, so you won't be able to sponsor the baby from the UK.
Oh, that's a wrinkle that I either didn't know about or had forgotten.

Do you know if a PR can bring their baby into Canada as a visitor and then submit the sponsorship application in Canada?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.