Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

About the bacon . . .

About the bacon . . .

Old Dec 4th 2004, 10:17 pm
Account Closed

Sean Boxer is an unknown quantity at this point
Default About the bacon . . .

I've got to say it's been a bit of a let down.
Incredible amount of fat and no real flavour.
Have I been going to the wrong butchers or is it really like this?

I really fancy a bit of Danish right now.
Old Dec 4th 2004, 10:34 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: About the bacon . . .

Definately pants for bacon in the States, and what I've tried when on hol in Canada...lots of rashers of bacon over here, but mostly fat, with a bit of maple flavoured meat...
Old Dec 4th 2004, 10:40 pm
Almost there...

Pincher has much to be proud ofPincher has much to be proud ofPincher has much to be proud ofPincher has much to be proud ofPincher has much to be proud ofPincher has much to be proud ofPincher has much to be proud ofPincher has much to be proud ofPincher has much to be proud ofPincher has much to be proud ofPincher has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Sean Boxer
I've got to say it's been a bit of a let down.
Incredible amount of fat and no real flavour.
Have I been going to the wrong butchers or is it really like this?

I really fancy a bit of Danish right now.

But why do the have to cook it 'til its as stiff as a board? And sausages that come in slices?
Old Dec 4th 2004, 10:47 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Pincher
But why do the have to cook it 'til its as stiff as a board? And sausages that come in slices?
It's strange as Canadian bacon is famous for being so good.
Maybe it is and I just can't get over the fat factor, it just turns me off.
Old Dec 4th 2004, 10:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

willmore has disabled reputation

It's strange as Canadian bacon is famous for being so good.
Maybe it is and I just can't get over the fat factor, it just turns me off.
Here's a tip for you. Forget that garbage and go to the Farmer's Market in Waterloo, Ontario and buy some "back bacon" - the most delicious bacon on the face of the earth. I call it cornmeal bacon because the outside is covered obviously with cornmeal - very little fat - and so good with scrambled eggs.....may cost a little more...but well worth it. You will never go back to that other garbage again.
Old Dec 4th 2004, 10:56 pm
the-smiths

It better be good Willmore, because if Sean has to come all the way from Ottawa, only to find out that it's pants, he won't be very pleased with you....LOL

Sean.....tried the beaver tail in your neck of the wood yet?

Old Dec 4th 2004, 10:56 pm
Once bemused

Rhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really nice

And whilst you're there, you really ought to buy some cheese kabanos from the pretty Polish girl (not willmore - another one )

Originally Posted by willmore
Here's a tip for you. Forget that garbage and go to the Farmer's Market in Waterloo, Ontario and buy some "back bacon" - the most delicious bacon on the face of the earth. I call it cornmeal bacon because the outside is covered obviously with cornmeal - very little fat - and so good with scrambled eggs.....may cost a little more...but well worth it. You will never go back to that other garbage again.
Old Dec 4th 2004, 11:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mmmm....didn't realize that he was in Ottawa, but surely they must have farmer's markets there as well. If not, if you're ever in the KW area - it's worth while to take some back with you.

When go to the KW area for xmas, we bring back as much as we can carry of the stuff cut it up and freeze it. It freezes really well, mmmm...good.....

Beaver tail - are you serious? I thought eating pig tails was bad enough!!
Old Dec 4th 2004, 11:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Rhodes
And whilst you're there, you really ought to buy some cheese kabanos from the pretty Polish girl (not willmore - another one )
And if you really want to charm her, buy some perogies, cabbage rolls and polish sausage!!!!!!

My heart is broken, you mean there's another polish woman in your life?
Old Dec 4th 2004, 11:14 pm
Account Closed

I'm glad you mentioned that as I've been buying that bacon, at Loblaws mind - not Farmers Market in preference to the fatty stuff. I'm afraid to say that this is the bacon that falls into the tastless category, I guess it's not smoked right? I think it's the smokey taste that I'm missing, or it could be the salt . . . . I think it's the salt.

This bacon problem is so bad for me I've been telling them to take the bacon off my "Meat Lovers" at my local pizza place.
Old Dec 4th 2004, 11:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I'm glad you mentioned that as I've been buying that bacon, at Loblaws mind - not Farmers Market in preference to the fatty stuff. I'm afraid to say that this is the bacon that falls into the tastless category, I guess it's not smoked right? I think it's the smokey taste that I'm missing, or it could be the salt . . . . I think it's the salt.

This bacon problem is so bad for me I've been telling them to take the bacon off my "Meat Lovers" at my local pizza place.
I've never bought it from a store, as I prefer to get the fresh stuff from the farmers'. I think you will find a difference in taste - we sure did. Not it's not smoked, but certainly has enough salt for my taste (even during that time of the month). If they have a farmer's market in your area, why not buy some from the market and try it. It will be be alot fresher than the stuff you're buying at Loblaws, and add a few herbs and spices to it and see if you like it any better.

We will be going to the market when we're in the KW area and I will check it out and see if the smoked is available - wouldn't mind trying it myself.
Old Dec 4th 2004, 11:30 pm
the-smiths

We've been to that farmers market in Kitchener, do you know it's been moved from that old building on Fredrick, to another new building round the corner? We usually buy some pepper, tomatoes, onions, beef, and other vegetables from there.

Old Dec 4th 2004, 11:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by the-smiths
We've been to that farmers market in Kitchener, do you know it's been moved from that old building on Fredrick, to another new building round the corner? We usually buy some pepper, tomatoes, onions, beef, and other vegetables from there.
Wasn't talking about that one. There's a much better one on the outskirts of Waterloo. A huge farmer's market with everything that you could ever want to buy. Much better than the market (in my opinion) in Kitchener.

You can get great German food and eat it outside in the snow and wind when you can't find a seat and wander around and look at all the outside vendors.

Believe me well worth the trip!!!! This is the only one that we go to every year at xmas. Try it some time.

Last edited by willmore; Dec 5th 2004 at 12:51 am.
Old Dec 4th 2004, 11:36 pm
Account Closed

Not it's not smoked, but certainly has enough salt for my taste (even during that time of the month).
What do you mean "during that time of the month"?

Is this something about ladies that I don't know about?
Are you saying having a period affects the taste of bacon?
Am I barking up the wrong tree?
Old Dec 4th 2004, 11:38 pm
the-smiths

Where exactly is this one then, you are not talking about St Jacobs are you?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.