About the bacon . . .

About the bacon . . .

Old Dec 5th 2004, 12:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

willmore has disabled reputation
Default Re: About the bacon . . .

Originally Posted by farmgirl
====================================

we live on an acreage and are seriously considering having some weiners next spring to raise free range and then in the fall take them to a custom butcher so we get proper bacon and pork with crackling
we have a book by hugh fearnley whittingstall , famous in uk for a tv series called river cottage where he lived self sufficient in dorset and it includes butchery diagrams for the way we are used to our meat etc and how to salt bacon

as for sausages i am going to ring our old butcher in oxford and beg for a recipe
I use to watch my polish grannie make her own sausages, it's alot of work......
Old Dec 6th 2004, 10:56 am
Just Joined

farmgirl is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Bob
Which one would that be?
==========
do you mean which butcher ?
He was in Bloxham a small village just north of oxford

otherwise we may just go for plain pork and no seasoning at all
Old Dec 6th 2004, 12:14 pm
Once bemused

Rhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really nice

May I just say that I consider maple syrup to be the most foul substance in all Christendom. I am quite amazed that someone should have drunk the sap from a tree in the first place, but absolutely astonished that it shold be considered such a good idea.
Old Dec 6th 2004, 12:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by iaink
Yeah, Lots of farmers markets around here (Belleville, Stirling, Trenton etc), although I have to confess that I dont go to them, the hours are a bit odd. Its a hotbed for syrup production too around here. Was a bit confused by the pails stuck to the trees in the spring until the OH explained it!

Too expensive to have all the time though, so we usually make do with the 15% blended stuff, which is pretty good to be honest. Wouldnt touch that other non maple stuff with a ten foot pole now. Fortunatly the real thing was a pretty popular gift when I got my citizenship, so we still have that luxury for Sunday breakfast, at least for a little while longer

Had the last of the Xmas parades today, did 6 in all, and the weather was unbelievably good for them all, no snow or worse, rain, and really not that cold except Fridays hometown affair. It was good fun, and now Iris thinks I know Santa as I have spent so much time helping him!

Take care

Iain
Hi there -

We do the same thing. Unbelieveable how expensive the syrup has become since I was a kid. We bring some back with us, and then "syrup" it down a bit with the cheaper stuff, so it lasts longer.....still very very nice with pancakes and french toast.

Iris is at a good age at 2 to really begin to seriously enjoy xmas now. I can remember my kids at that age and waking up at 3/4 in the morning to open presents and not being able to get them back to bed. It really makes xmas worthwhile to see their faces beaming on xmas morning and being with friends/family.

Sounds like you had alot of fun helping with the santa parade. The one in Victoria was done the middle of November - way to early this year. Hoping to catch one in Ontario when we're there.

Take care - and "lurk more often" we really miss you.
Old Dec 6th 2004, 12:56 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Re: About the bacon . . .

Originally Posted by Rhodes
May I just say that I consider maple syrup to be the most foul substance in all Christendom. I am quite amazed that someone should have drunk the sap from a tree in the first place, but absolutely astonished that it shold be considered such a good idea.

Dont tell the immigration officer you feel that way...you'll never get in!
Old Dec 6th 2004, 1:00 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by willmore
Hi there -

We do the same thing. Unbelieveable how expensive the syrup has become since I was a kid. We bring some back with us, and then "syrup" it down a bit with the cheaper stuff, so it lasts longer.....still very very nice with pancakes and french toast.

Iris is at a good age at 2 to really begin to seriously enjoy xmas now. I can remember my kids at that age and waking up at 3/4 in the morning to open presents and not being able to get them back to bed. It really makes xmas worthwhile to see their faces beaming on xmas morning and being with friends/family.

Sounds like you had alot of fun helping with the santa parade. The one in Victoria was done the middle of November - way to early this year. Hoping to catch one in Ontario when we're there.

Take care - and "lurk more often" we really miss you.
She's so excited already (not helped by the tree and decorations going up yesterday), but still a bit confused as she can still see the halloween pumpkins in the compost heap out back. This morning was St Nicholas day, so last night we all put carrots in our shoes (for his horse) and this morning they has turned into presents!

As a seasonal thing one of her shoes was filled with Clementines, when she saw these, with a huge grin she started running around shouting "Pumpkin!, Pumpkin!"

What can I say, 2 is a very cute age
Old Dec 6th 2004, 1:44 pm

Covenant has a reputation beyond reputeCovenant has a reputation beyond reputeCovenant has a reputation beyond reputeCovenant has a reputation beyond reputeCovenant has a reputation beyond reputeCovenant has a reputation beyond reputeCovenant has a reputation beyond reputeCovenant has a reputation beyond reputeCovenant has a reputation beyond reputeCovenant has a reputation beyond reputeCovenant has a reputation beyond repute

====================================

we live on an acreage and are seriously considering having some weiners next spring to raise free range and then in the fall take them to a custom butcher so we get proper bacon and pork with crackling
we have a book by hugh fearnley whittingstall , famous in uk for a tv series called river cottage where he lived self sufficient in dorset and it includes butchery diagrams for the way we are used to our meat etc and how to salt bacon

as for sausages i am going to ring our old butcher in oxford and beg for a recipe
Hugh Fernley-Whittingstall is the chap, here's his web site. Excellent programme oft repeated on Discovery Home and leisure.
http://www.rivercottage.net/index.jsp

Out of interest, I read somewhere that unless you have a piece of land upto a set acreage, you aren't even allowed to raise a chicken?

Apparently, and I hope someone will correct me if I'm wrong, although a number of 'farms' come up on the market, few are legally allowed to keep livestock.

Glad to see you're still around Iain

Last edited by Covenant; Dec 6th 2004 at 1:48 pm.
Old Dec 6th 2004, 2:14 pm
Once bemused

Rhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really nice

I should be all right if they don't mention it first - the merest hint of the stuff is enough to set of the Tourette's Syndrome, and I fear that anaphylaxic shock can't be far behind.

Dont tell the immigration officer you feel that way...you'll never get in!
Old Dec 6th 2004, 2:24 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

I should be all right if they don't mention it first - the merest hint of the stuff is enough to set of the Tourette's Syndrome, and I fear that anaphylaxic shock can't be far behind.
Are you going the spousal route, or is this going to make passing the medical difficult?
Old Dec 6th 2004, 2:28 pm
Once bemused

Fortunately, I married my Canadian, so the conditions were not taken in to account for my medical.

Are you going the spousal route, or is this going to make passing the medical difficult?
Old Dec 6th 2004, 3:13 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Covenant
Hugh Fernley-Whittingstall is the chap, here's his web site. Excellent programme oft repeated on Discovery Home and leisure.
http://www.rivercottage.net/index.jsp

Out of interest, I read somewhere that unless you have a piece of land upto a set acreage, you aren't even allowed to raise a chicken?

Apparently, and I hope someone will correct me if I'm wrong, although a number of 'farms' come up on the market, few are legally allowed to keep livestock.

Glad to see you're still around Iain
============================================

thanks for the web site will have a look
in canada we have 13 acres and nearesr neighbours are 1.5 miles away so we seem to be left to do what we want i dont think its same in uk is it
people before us here had chickens and horses , we have a huge old dutch barn and are converting the old grain bins , we keep the peacocks in one and are trying to teach them to be free range! hilarious catching them at night if they dont want to come in . i want some ducks next spring for the ponds
Old Dec 6th 2004, 3:26 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

============================================

thanks for the web site will have a look
in canada we have 13 acres and nearesr neighbours are 1.5 miles away so we seem to be left to do what we want i dont think its same in uk is it
Depends what province / municipality you are in. From reading this forum there are some strange ones out there (I think the one that Cov and I am thinking of was somewhere near Calgary or in BC??), so "Buyer beware" applies, check that a property is zoned for what you want to use it for before you get stuck with a farm you cant farm on!
Old Dec 6th 2004, 3:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fortunately, I married my Canadian, so the conditions were not taken in to account for my medical.
I think you'd better get out that guitar, start exercising those old fingers and learn a few Gordon Lightfoot songs just in case..........
Old Dec 6th 2004, 3:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

There's just no accounting for "bad taste" now is there?
Old Dec 6th 2004, 3:40 pm
Just Joined

Depends what province / municipality you are in. From reading this forum there are some strange ones out there (I think the one that Cov and I am thinking of was somewhere near Calgary or in BC??), so "Buyer beware" applies, check that a property is zoned for what you want to use it for before you get stuck with a farm you cant farm on!
==========================================

know what you mean , its the new subdivisions just outside of regina that you have to watch it on , they are 5 acres and all right next to each other
just like an estate with big plots really , we were put off as there were so many restrictions and people had dogs etc and went out to work and left them running loose and they formed packs

we are 24km out of city

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.