Reload this Page >

About the bacon . . .

About the bacon . . .

Old Dec 4th 2004, 11:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

willmore has disabled reputation
Default Re: About the bacon . . .

Originally Posted by Sean Boxer
What do you mean "during that time of the month"?

Is this something about ladies that I don't know about?
Are you saying having a period affects the taste of bacon?
Am I barking up the wrong tree?
Let's just say that there are times that I crave salt like crazy - and this bacon seems on some level to satify that need. Much better than gulping all the salt out of the salt shaker.

You're barking all right...but I think we should end it here
Old Dec 4th 2004, 11:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by the-smiths
Where exactly is this one then, you are not talking about St Jacobs are you?
Yes, I am but I guess I consider it the outskirts of Waterloo, before you actually get to St. Jacobs....hence it's name Waterloo Farmer's Market - but seriously, you should try it some time if you're in the area - really and truly well worth it!!!!
Old Dec 4th 2004, 11:44 pm
the-smiths

Actually we've tried it, and it not bad, but nothing compared to what you get in the UK. The same goes for potatoes, you can't get a decent "king Edward" anywhere.....LOL

Old Dec 4th 2004, 11:58 pm
Once bemused

Rhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really nice

Supply cheesy sausages and you're mine for life.

Originally Posted by willmore
My heart is broken, you mean there's another polish woman in your life?
Old Dec 5th 2004, 12:00 am
Once bemused

Rhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really nice

And the eggs are in white shells, just like they used to be here a few years ago.

Actually we've tried it, and it not bad, but nothing compared to what you get in the UK. The same goes for potatoes, you can't get a decent "king Edward" anywhere.....LOL
Old Dec 5th 2004, 12:03 am
BE Forum Addict

Corky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to behold

Well you have to face facts....NOW! there are things that you most definitely can not get in Canada, heck it doesn't matter what they call it, it will never taste the same as it does in the UK....the sooner you get over this fact the happier you will be.
We have tried the the peameal bacon but not the same as Uk..
The sausage is nothing like UK
No double cream~
the list is endless really but given time you do get used to the food here. One thing I can not stand whem I go back to UK, is the eggs....they are disgusting! sorry hope I am not affending anyone!
Old Dec 5th 2004, 12:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Corky
Well you have to face facts....NOW! there are things that you most definitely can not get in Canada, heck it doesn't matter what they call it, it will never taste the same as it does in the UK....the sooner you get over this fact the happier you will be.
No double cream~
the list is endless really but given time you do get used to the food here. One thing I can not stand whem I go back to UK, is the eggs....they are disgusting! sorry hope I am not affending anyone!
Peameal bacon, of course, thank you. I couldn't remember for the life of me what it was really called, guess I've been calling it cornmeal bacon for most of my life.......
Old Dec 5th 2004, 12:17 am
Account Closed

Sean Boxer is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Corky
No double cream~
Well I wasn't exactly comparing it to bacon from back in England, in fact I haven't lived in England for 10 years. I was just saying that, in my experience, Canadian bacon hasn't matched the hype.
Old Dec 5th 2004, 12:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Well, you can't begin to compare between the UK and Canada. I had polish grandparents and the polish food that you buy in stores in complete garbage to what my grannie use to make.

Old Dec 5th 2004, 1:23 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

OK, I havent had real english bacon for a 'coons age, so maybe I shouldnt comment. I rather like the canadian streaky bacon, cooked in the oven at a low temp for a long time till all th fat has run off and its stiff as a board. Its great with maple syrup and french toast, or just in a bacon butty. Anyway I digress, all I really wanted to say was the "Canadian Bacon" that is mentioned by US tourists and in the odd guide book is actually the peameal coated back bacon you tend to find in the supermarkets near the pork chops, rather than the bacon you find with the sausages and sliced meat. Its usually sliced pretty thick (in bacon terms anyway) and looks a bit like ham if you ask me.

Now, dont get me started on the sausages...
Old Dec 5th 2004, 1:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by iaink
OK, I havent had real english bacon for a 'coons age, so maybe I shouldnt comment. I rather like the canadian streaky bacon, cooked in the oven at a low temp for a long time till all th fat has run off and its stiff as a board. Its great with maple syrup and french toast, or just in a bacon butty. Anyway I digress, all I really wanted to say was the "Canadian Bacon" that is mentioned by US tourists and in the odd guide book is actually the peameal coated back bacon you tend to find in the supermarkets near the pork chops, rather than the bacon you find with the sausages and sliced meat. Its usually sliced pretty thick (in bacon terms anyway) and looks a bit like ham if you ask me.

Now, dont get me started on the sausages...
Hey, the lurker is back, I'm thrilled to hear from you again. I was going to pm you to find out what was going on.

Yep, that peameal bacon is the stuff I was talking about that we get from the farmer's market in Waterloo. Is there a farmer's market in your area or close to Ottawa?

Have you ever tried pancakes or french toast with REAL maple syrup. We tapped one of our trees while we stilled lived in Ontario and the taste was incredible. At one time there was an entire orchard of trees that they tapped for syrup in the KW area, now unfortuntely they are all gone for homes.

But as you go out towards St Jacob's etc, you can actually still see them tapping the trees and the sap coming out......wonderful syrup.

Don't be a stranger.....you lurker.....
Old Dec 5th 2004, 1:49 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, Lots of farmers markets around here (Belleville, Stirling, Trenton etc), although I have to confess that I dont go to them, the hours are a bit odd. Its a hotbed for syrup production too around here. Was a bit confused by the pails stuck to the trees in the spring until the OH explained it!

Too expensive to have all the time though, so we usually make do with the 15% blended stuff, which is pretty good to be honest. Wouldnt touch that other non maple stuff with a ten foot pole now. Fortunatly the real thing was a pretty popular gift when I got my citizenship, so we still have that luxury for Sunday breakfast, at least for a little while longer

Had the last of the Xmas parades today, did 6 in all, and the weather was unbelievably good for them all, no snow or worse, rain, and really not that cold except Fridays hometown affair. It was good fun, and now Iris thinks I know Santa as I have spent so much time helping him!

Take care

Iain
Old Dec 5th 2004, 2:02 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Definately pants for bacon in the States, and what I've tried when on hol in Canada...lots of rashers of bacon over here, but mostly fat, with a bit of maple flavoured meat...
Well my Canadian likes US bacon but fancies Irish bacon/rashers over that. He says what is considered by the US to be Canadian bacon is NOT but that Irish bacon is really what Canadians consider ~their~ bacon. Of course, it would depend, I'm sure, where in Canada you live and where you shop.

I prefer US Bacon but without the maple taste and our supermarket carries at least ten different brands and varieties. You can get it lean or with fat. I like a bit of fat in my bacon. Find it adds to the flavor. Individual tastes and what you are use to.

Rete
Old Dec 5th 2004, 4:29 am
Just Joined

farmgirl is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Rete
Well my Canadian likes US bacon but fancies Irish bacon/rashers over that. He says what is considered by the US to be Canadian bacon is NOT but that Irish bacon is really what Canadians consider ~their~ bacon. Of course, it would depend, I'm sure, where in Canada you live and where you shop.

I prefer US Bacon but without the maple taste and our supermarket carries at least ten different brands and varieties. You can get it lean or with fat. I like a bit of fat in my bacon. Find it adds to the flavor. Individual tastes and what you are use to.

Rete
====================================

we live on an acreage and are seriously considering having some weiners next spring to raise free range and then in the fall take them to a custom butcher so we get proper bacon and pork with crackling
we have a book by hugh fearnley whittingstall , famous in uk for a tv series called river cottage where he lived self sufficient in dorset and it includes butchery diagrams for the way we are used to our meat etc and how to salt bacon

as for sausages i am going to ring our old butcher in oxford and beg for a recipe
Old Dec 5th 2004, 5:21 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by farmgirl
as for sausages i am going to ring our old butcher in oxford and beg for a recipe
Which one would that be?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.