abbotsford

Old Mar 3rd 2007, 5:03 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: abbotsford

Originally Posted by pat12
I didn't come here as an immigrant in the first place but on a work permit to broaden my horizons and gain a different work perspective since my profession allows me to work practically anywhere in the world. So it was always my intention to return home. Being in Vancouver/Abbotsford has only made me hasten my departure, which likely wouldn't be the case if I had gone to eg New York. It is true that Canadians take offence easily, have you ever seen a Vancouverite's reaction when their precious town is even remotely criticised? Heaven forbid if someone tells them that Toronto is superior!(which it is in many ways IMO). I am not the only person to find Canadians narrow minded, many posters on this forum have stated the same...

I support the view that Canadians tend to be parochial and easily offended when their town is described unfavourably. Abbotsford does sound horrible but not uniquely so reading the thread I'm hard pressed to find a criticism that doesn't apply equally to such non-places as Mississauga ON or Naperville IL.
Old Mar 3rd 2007, 11:18 pm
Forum Regular

suecakes has a brilliant futuresuecakes has a brilliant futuresuecakes has a brilliant futuresuecakes has a brilliant futuresuecakes has a brilliant futuresuecakes has a brilliant future

We live in Abbotsford, we have found the people very friendly and helpful, moved into our house, chatted straight away to neighbours, they are no more unaccepting than we can be. Yes they are quite religious here, but you don't have to join the 'gang' they don't look down their noses if your not religious, to live in another country you have to go with the flow, and by the way who does like being criticised! wouldn't you defend the area you lived in, especially if that criticism came from a 'foreigner'. The new Hospital is due to open in 2008, can't comment too much on the medical side as we haven't needed it, but we have used the walk-in clinic which was quick, efficient and friendly, more than I can say for the UK. As far as teenage pregnancy is concerned this is not just the responsibility of the schools, as parents its up to you to make sure your children are well informed, they do have sex education in Abbotsford as my 15 year old is doing it at the moment (although she's already done it in the UK), as we've only just arrived this year I can't comment on what year this starts.

It wouldn't matter which area you moved to none would be perfect, but in our opinion Abbotsford is a nice place to live, but like any other large town you have to choose the right part of it to live in.
Old Mar 4th 2007, 2:39 am
mañana is my busiest day

oceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to behold

No axe to grind...I am speaking from the perspective of being a doctor who has worked in several hospitals in London and Cape Town, South Africa, so I believe that puts me in a good position to make comparisons. The general standard of nursing is far lower than anything I have encountered before. Arriving on the ward on a Monday morning and asking the nurse designated to look after my patient "how was Mr./Mrs.X over the weekend" and to be informed that "I did not work this weekend/just came on shift/am going on teabreak" is unacceptable. Asking clinical questions and being met with a blank expression is also something I am unaccustomed to. Having clinical orders ignored quite frankly puts patients lives at risk! Most of the GPs here have similar stories to tell. Patients themselves have several horror stories relating to this place. It's just that unlike the UK public, Canadians are too reserved to report their complaints to a newspaper which I have advised them to do. This is not the forum for discussion of healthcare in Canada but I mentioned the hospital as I felt it my duty to do so since the person who started the thread wanted general info about Abbotsford.
You think that issues regarding professional negligence are to be dealt with in the newspaper? .... and you consider yourself to be a professional? LOL!

You should know that if there is a problem regarding the care of a patient by a nurse or doctor the patient has the option of complaining to (in writing) the appropriate licensing authority. They are the ones to deal with such issues - not a newspaper!

I also can see that you have an axe to grind.
Old Mar 4th 2007, 2:51 am
mañana is my busiest day

oceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by suecakes
... and by the way who does like being criticised! wouldn't you defend the area you lived in, especially if that criticism came from a 'foreigner'.
Agreed; it's only natural - in any country - for the locals to wonder: if this is such a crappy place, what are you doing living here? Did the Canadian immigration officials kidnap you or what?

Abbotsford, BC and Canada are far from perfect, but it's a little much to see a foreigner incessantly put a place down whilst continuing to make it their abode year after year.

Last edited by oceanMDX; Mar 4th 2007 at 3:16 am.
Old Mar 4th 2007, 2:58 am
Cynically amused.

dingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by oceanMDX
Agreed; it's only natural - in any country - for the locals to wonder: if this is such a crappy place, what are you doing living here? Did the Canadian immigration officials kidnap you or what?

Abbotsford, BC and Canada are far from perfect, but it's a little much to see a foreigner incessantly put a place down whilest continuing to make it their abode year after year.
Everyone here is a foreigner.......not everyone can just up and leave either.
Old Mar 4th 2007, 3:04 am
mañana is my busiest day

Originally Posted by dingbat
Everyone here is a foreigner.......not everyone can just up and leave either.
Speak for yourself now.... I'm not a foreigner in Canada, and most residents in the country certainly are not. The last time I checked only 18.4% were foreign born.

BTW, there are roads named after my ancestors in Ontario.

Last edited by oceanMDX; Mar 4th 2007 at 3:13 am.
Old Mar 4th 2007, 3:10 am
mañana is my busiest day

I am not the only person to find Canadians narrow minded, many posters on this forum have stated the same...
So, you believe that you can paint most Canadians with the same brush and generalize that Canadians are narrow minded?

That's a rather bigoted view; but of course, you have no axe to grind.

What's wrong, can't get a date?
Old Mar 4th 2007, 3:22 am
Cynically amused.

dingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by oceanMDX
Speak for yourself now.... I'm not a foreigner in Canada, and most residents in the country certainly are not. BTW, there are roads named after my ancestors in Ontario.

We're foreigners on BE...lol....road names, no ancestral connection with Quebec then? Someone had a sense of humour when they named Shitagoo Lake in Quebec.
Old Mar 4th 2007, 4:09 am
mañana is my busiest day

We're foreigners on BE...lol....road names, no ancestral connection with Quebec then? Someone had a sense of humour when they named Shitagoo Lake in Quebec.
That "lake" must be the landfill site in Quebec where this stuff ends up:

http://www.therecord.com/home_page_m...ry_977860.html

... Now I understand why they are trying to cut back on the water content of the toxic soil mentioned in the story.

You wouldn't have any ancestral connection to England as in a place called "Piddle-in-the-Hole", now would ya?

Last edited by oceanMDX; Mar 4th 2007 at 4:20 am.
Old Mar 4th 2007, 2:50 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by suecakes
and by the way who does like being criticised! wouldn't you defend the area you lived in, especially if that criticism came from a 'foreigner'.
I do criticize the areas in which I live and work but when I describe them Canadians living abroad get offended and say it can't be so!
Old Mar 4th 2007, 4:27 pm
Forum Regular

Hudman is just really niceHudman is just really niceHudman is just really niceHudman is just really niceHudman is just really niceHudman is just really niceHudman is just really niceHudman is just really niceHudman is just really niceHudman is just really niceHudman is just really nice

Not a geezer mate, I'm a female!
Geezer Bird....Better?
Like I said ex-pats tend to try & compare apples & oranges. There are a large amount of Brits I've met who had it quite good back home, came here for the big F%&K off House, decide to move to the Valley cause they can afford big F%&k off house: then are surprised to find its not like Tunbridge Wells or wherever back home.
Nit picking and comparing will also result in dissatisfaction, try the overview.
There is probably 5% of Uk population who have the quality of life afforded to many Canadians.
Anyway the youngsters don't snarl at you so much, and most I've met can look you in the eye and have a conversation
Old Mar 4th 2007, 6:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

Gezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of light

Regular work will be there (as long as you get the journeyman ticket(s) that allow you to work.) Schools...well I have my own opinions (I have had kids in all Grades up to and including Grade 12)....if I had the money I would pay for my children's education in BC. I have had to compromise and put most of them in Catholic school, they at least teach them to read and write there! I disagree with the notion that the less academic schools produce "well rounded" individuals. I am currently training two fourth year University students, both of whom would not pass a basic written English test if their lives depended on it. Abstract concepts and critical thought - forget it. They are, IMHO, the products of a very deficient system, but very nice people nonetheless. If you were to put them outside of this country however, they would flounder. A nice lifestyle - again, very subjective. I live in a nice part of town and have a very nice house, but we are all bored to tears and cannot wait to leave. Crime rates are really no different, just drug based crimes as opposed to alcohol fuelled crime and more fatal crimes than injuries. I posted the stats somewhere else a while back, I cannot remember where. Abbotsford demographic is also now 53% Sikh, which is great for diversity and brings some much needed alternative influences to what was quite a right wing white area. As you can imagine, not everyone thinks that way and racial tensions are clearly there. Horses for courses, you may like it, you may hate it. You won't know until you try however!
"I have had to compromise and put most of them in Catholic school,"

I am very disturbed how any parent could do this to their children!
Old Mar 4th 2007, 9:54 pm
Cynically amused.

Originally Posted by Gezza
"I have had to compromise and put most of them in Catholic school,"

I am very disturbed how any parent could do this to their children!
Easily. They love it. They are actually learning something too, which is a plus. There is a sense of community and belonging in some Catholic schools that I am sure exists with other schools, I have just never seen it. The Catholic school I use don't ram the religious element down the kids throats either; it's there, they learn about it, but the parents have the choice to pursue the "extra" stuff if they want to. I tried putting my twelve year old back in the public system this year for Grade 7. Disaster - we have put up with arrogant semi-literate teachers (2); racist and xenophobic teacher (1) and utterly incompetent no matter how you dress it up
teachers (2). Brilliant educator and motivational teacher (1). Wish he could be replicated. You make your own choices as a parent, my twelve year old knows why he is headed back to Catholic school.
Old Mar 5th 2007, 12:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

Gezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of light

Easily. They love it. They are actually learning something too, which is a plus. There is a sense of community and belonging in some Catholic schools that I am sure exists with other schools, I have just never seen it. The Catholic school I use don't ram the religious element down the kids throats either; it's there, they learn about it, but the parents have the choice to pursue the "extra" stuff if they want to. I tried putting my twelve year old back in the public system this year for Grade 7. Disaster - we have put up with arrogant semi-literate teachers (2); racist and xenophobic teacher (1) and utterly incompetent no matter how you dress it up
teachers (2). Brilliant educator and motivational teacher (1). Wish he could be replicated. You make your own choices as a parent, my twelve year old knows why he is headed back to Catholic school.
I was only joking. Good for you for sending kids to an RC school. My 2 daughters go to an RC school as well. I used to live in Maple Ridge which had a St Patric school. I expect Abb's schools could be even better.
Old Mar 6th 2007, 4:26 am
Forum Regular

suecakes has a brilliant futuresuecakes has a brilliant futuresuecakes has a brilliant futuresuecakes has a brilliant futuresuecakes has a brilliant futuresuecakes has a brilliant future

Hi all,

The hospital here is also shockingly bad!

Just thought I would add another little snippet regarding the hospital here in Abbotsford:

After saying we hadn't used the medical system (I think I jinxed us!) we ended up in A&E at the weekend. We all caught a tummy bug this week after which our eldest daughter started developing unexplained bruises on her legs and arms, finally on Saturday a huge bruise suddenly appeared on her arm which prompted our swift departure to the MSA Hospital in Abbotsford, we arrived went straight up to the nurses desk, our daughter was assessed and we were called within 10 minutes into a cubical, half an hour later she was seen by a doctor who ordered some blood tests which were done almost immediately, then there was some waiting for results approx 1 hour, then a nurse came in and said she was going to need to be treated with some blood products and put a line in her arm, next arrives the ped doc to explain that the virus had caused her anitbodies to attack the platelets in her blood, she was admitted up to the ped ward for treatment, the whole process took approx 4-5 hours, she stayed in the hospital until this afternoon. During the whole process the staff were great, the nurses friendly and caring, the doctors explaining what was going on. The wait in A&E was nothing compared to the UK and we were very impressed with the hospital, you couldn't have asked for better care and service, just as my daughter was due to come home one of the earlier doctors came up to see how she was doing, what more can I say. In our experience the hospital did just fine!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.