abbotsford

Old Feb 24th 2007, 7:44 pm
Just Joined

glenn morrison is an unknown quantity at this point
Default abbotsford

can anyone tell me if abbotsford is a nice place to raise the family.
it looks nice but would appreicate any feedback as we are looking to come over sometime this year.
Old Feb 25th 2007, 2:07 am
Cynically amused.

dingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: abbotsford

Depends what you want really. I am twenty minutes away up the freeway, but do all my shopping in Abbotsford, such as there is by way of shops anyway. There have been extended discussions about Abby on the main forum - do a search and you will find the threads.
Old Feb 25th 2007, 3:28 am
Lotus-eater

Rich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dingbat
Depends what you want really. I am twenty minutes away up the freeway, but do all my shopping in Abbotsford, such as there is by way of shops anyway. There have been extended discussions about Abby on the main forum - do a search and you will find the threads.
They have freeways in the Fraser Valley I'm impressed.

Rich,.
Old Feb 25th 2007, 4:22 am
Cynically amused.

dingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rich_007
They have freeways in the Fraser Valley I'm impressed.

Rich,.
Only the one. Hwy 1 to be precise.
Old Feb 25th 2007, 7:48 am
Just Joined

glenn morrison is an unknown quantity at this point

thanks for the reply, what we're looking for are good schools for the kids,
and regular work as im a carpenter and a nice life style.
Old Feb 25th 2007, 4:32 pm
Lotus-eater

Rich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond repute

Only the one. Hwy 1 to be precise.
So, um, it's a Highway then

Rich.
Old Feb 25th 2007, 6:41 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

So, um, it's a Highway then

Rich.
I believe in the lower mainland the Trans-Canada would be considered a freeway as it does have restricted access, i.e. there are no at grade intersections.
Old Feb 25th 2007, 6:44 pm
Lotus-eater

Originally Posted by Steve_P
I believe in the lower mainland the Trans-Canada would be considered a freeway as it does have restricted access, i.e. there are no at grade intersections.
The Trans Canada Freeway ? Doesn't have the same ring to it Sounds 'Merkan.

Rich.
Old Feb 25th 2007, 7:08 pm
Cynically amused.

Originally Posted by glenn morrison
Regular work will be there (as long as you get the journeyman ticket(s) that allow you to work.) Schools...well I have my own opinions (I have had kids in all Grades up to and including Grade 12)....if I had the money I would pay for my children's education in BC. I have had to compromise and put most of them in Catholic school, they at least teach them to read and write there! I disagree with the notion that the less academic schools produce "well rounded" individuals. I am currently training two fourth year University students, both of whom would not pass a basic written English test if their lives depended on it. Abstract concepts and critical thought - forget it. They are, IMHO, the products of a very deficient system, but very nice people nonetheless. If you were to put them outside of this country however, they would flounder. A nice lifestyle - again, very subjective. I live in a nice part of town and have a very nice house, but we are all bored to tears and cannot wait to leave. Crime rates are really no different, just drug based crimes as opposed to alcohol fuelled crime and more fatal crimes than injuries. I posted the stats somewhere else a while back, I cannot remember where. Abbotsford demographic is also now 53% Sikh, which is great for diversity and brings some much needed alternative influences to what was quite a right wing white area. As you can imagine, not everyone thinks that way and racial tensions are clearly there. Horses for courses, you may like it, you may hate it. You won't know until you try however!
Old Feb 25th 2007, 7:10 pm
Cynically amused.

Thanks - it is indeed a (basic) freeway through the Lower Mainland. Everyone also refers to Hwy 1 as "the freeway". I never gave the distinction much thought before.
Old Feb 25th 2007, 7:10 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

The Trans Canada Freeway ? Doesn't have the same ring to it Sounds 'Merkan.

Rich.
Semantics old boy.

Technically it's a freeway but we still call it the Trans-Canada Highway.

After all it's Canadian eh.
Old Feb 25th 2007, 10:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Yoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,
You could contact www.bccarpentersunion.com and hopefully
someone there would give you info. regarding job prospect.
Here is a peek into the local news in abby.www.abbynews.com
Hope that helps
Yoong
Old Feb 26th 2007, 12:04 am
Forum Regular

Hudman is just really niceHudman is just really niceHudman is just really niceHudman is just really niceHudman is just really niceHudman is just really niceHudman is just really niceHudman is just really niceHudman is just really niceHudman is just really niceHudman is just really nice

Glenn

I was going to go this route, via Red Seal program.

http://www.itabc.ca/index.php

Bit of paperwork, and exam based on BC building codes.

probably fastest way,
Old Feb 26th 2007, 12:36 am
Lotus-eater

Technically it's a freeway but we still call it the Trans-Canada Highway.
They call this a freeway. What's free about it ? Looks more like a prison to me automotive miseryville.

Rich.

Old Feb 26th 2007, 3:38 am
mañana is my busiest day

oceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to behold

Schools...well I have my own opinions (I have had kids in all Grades up to and including Grade 12)....if I had the money I would pay for my children's education in BC. I have had to compromise and put most of them in Catholic school, they at least teach them to read and write there! I disagree with the notion that the less academic schools produce "well rounded" individuals. I am currently training two fourth year University students, both of whom would not pass a basic written English test if their lives depended on it. Abstract concepts and critical thought - forget it. They are, IMHO, the products of a very deficient system, but very nice people nonetheless. If you were to put them outside of this country however, they would flounder.
It's a wonder that these illiterate Canadians are able to wipe themselves, eh? They are so poorly educated and deficient in critical thought that it would never occur to them to do their research before moving to another country as to whether or not their education and qualifications in their vocation would be accepted in the country of their choice. They would likely move and then be shocked and chagrined that they have to requalify to work in their vocation and end up regretting ever having moved in the first place. Does this remind you of anyone dingbat?

The last time I checked, Canadian high school students outscored their British counterparts (same ages) in mathematics and literacy. The British students outscored the Canadians only in science - not too bad. Here's the study:

http://www.statistics.gov.uk/downloa.../PISA_2000.pdf

Abbotsford demographic is also now 53% Sikh, which is great for diversity and brings some much needed alternative influences to what was quite a right wing white area. As you can imagine, not everyone thinks that way and racial tensions are clearly there.
Actually, the Sikh population of Abbotsford is nowhere near 53%, so that "fact" is about as far off the mark as what you had to say regarding education. According to this source, Sikhs make up 13.4% of the population:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abbotsf...itish_Columbia

Racial tensions in Abbotsford are insignificant in comparison to those that exist in Britain.

Last edited by oceanMDX; Feb 26th 2007 at 4:36 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.