Reload this Page >

9 Years of a great life in Canada

Wikiposts

9 Years of a great life in Canada

Old Jan 5th 2013, 11:41 am
Just Joined

Tempal will become famous soon enoughTempal will become famous soon enough
Default 9 Years of a great life in Canada

My husband and our three children, all now grown up at uni in the USA on soccer scholarships arrived here in Vancouver in May 2004 to begin our life here. It was the best thing we ever did coming to Vancouver. We are now Canadian citizens. Our kids lives have been fantastic compared to what they would have achieved in the UK. We have travelled extensively and continue to do so. Anyone just arriving in BC, and feeling overwhelmed, the people here are so nice and friendly. Just ask for help, you will be surprised who comes forward to assist you. Do not just give up and go back to the UK. We go and visit every few years to visit our parents and on each occasion, we are so glad to call Vancouver home. We would never go back to live in England, yes we miss crisps and certain foods, but honestly after 9 years you make adjustments and suddenly find yourself enjoying other varieties of foods and drink. If anyone needs help, contact us, we are happy to assist you.

Last edited by Tempal; Jan 5th 2013 at 11:45 am.
Old Jan 5th 2013, 12:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 9 Years of a great life in Canada

Wow! Nine years???

I have to say I certainly don't see a move back to the UK for us either although we have only been here 16 months.

It's really nice to see a positive thread as there is another running at the moment and somebody on that thread is being extremely negative about Canada!!

Here's to another 9 years!
Old Jan 5th 2013, 12:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DandNHill
It's really nice to see a positive thread as there is another running at the moment and somebody on that thread is being extremely negative about Canada!!
You're kidding! Who?
Old Jan 5th 2013, 1:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarylandNed
You're kidding! Who?
Haha!!!!
Old Jan 5th 2013, 3:49 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Often those that do well will be positive, those that don't won't. One has to take it with a pinch of salt, as everyone's experiences are different. We're nearly 20 years in and quite satisfied with out lot in BC.
Old Jan 5th 2013, 7:50 pm
Pondering a career change

Mikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tempal
My husband and our three children, all now grown up at uni in the USA on soccer scholarships arrived here in Vancouver in May 2004 to begin our life here. It was the best thing we ever did coming to Vancouver. We are now Canadian citizens. Our kids lives have been fantastic compared to what they would have achieved in the UK. We have travelled extensively and continue to do so. Anyone just arriving in BC, and feeling overwhelmed, the people here are so nice and friendly. Just ask for help, you will be surprised who comes forward to assist you. Do not just give up and go back to the UK. We go and visit every few years to visit our parents and on each occasion, we are so glad to call Vancouver home. We would never go back to live in England, yes we miss crisps and certain foods, but honestly after 9 years you make adjustments and suddenly find yourself enjoying other varieties of foods and drink. If anyone needs help, contact us, we are happy to assist you.
Nice to hear your doing so well and will have to look you up when me and my OH get to BC
Old Jan 5th 2013, 11:02 pm
All Sooked up!

james.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Aviator
Often those that do well will be positive, those that don't won't. One has to take it with a pinch of salt, as everyone's experiences are different. We're nearly 20 years in and quite satisfied with out lot in BC.
or.....

Those that start out and remain positive will probably do well. Those that start feeling negative about the whole shift, and keep looking back at the old country by way of comparison, will eventually not do well.

I'm glad to read that the OP feels so good about life for them and their family in Canada. Long may it last!
Old Jan 6th 2013, 12:40 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Aviator
Originally Posted by james.mc
or.....

Those that start out and remain positive will probably do well. Those that start feeling negative about the whole shift, and keep looking back at the old country by way of comparison, will eventually not do well.

I'm glad to read that the OP feels so good about life for them and their family in Canada. Long may it last!
It's about attitude too. The person I'm referring too is on FB too ranting about "two faced Canadians". Because he doesn't seem to have broken in to the Canadian work market he's really being negative about his experience.

Canada is not necessarily utopia but I like it warts and all!!!
Old Jan 6th 2013, 12:52 am
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute

It's about attitude too. The person I'm referring too is on FB too ranting about "two faced Canadians". Because he doesn't seem to have broken in to the Canadian work market he's really being negative about his experience.

Canada is not necessarily utopia but I like it warts and all!!!
I think money is the key. If your earning a good hourly rate and have cash to spare then life will be good, no matter how many faces people have.

No money=No fun!

It's most likely that an immigrant who has arranged employment before they arrive will have a better outlook from the get go, than one without.
Old Jan 6th 2013, 1:16 am
BE Enthusiast

graham and george is just really nicegraham and george is just really nicegraham and george is just really nicegraham and george is just really nicegraham and george is just really nicegraham and george is just really nicegraham and george is just really nicegraham and george is just really nicegraham and george is just really nicegraham and george is just really nice

Originally Posted by magnumpi
I think money is the key. If your earning a good hourly rate and have cash to spare then life will be good, no matter how many faces people have.

No money=No fun!

It's most likely that an immigrant who has arranged employment before they arrive will have a better outlook from the get go, than one without.
+1
Old Jan 6th 2013, 1:21 am
BE Enthusiast

energysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond repute

No money=No fun!

As someone who has been looking at a move to a new place for a while now (first Australia, now Canada) I very much agree with your sentiments regarding employment being one of (possibly the biggest) factor in making any move work

I doubt I would/could make the move without the added security that a pre arranged job brings. On the Australia forum I was strongly advised that my best way forward was to get a PR visa, move over and take it from there but I was not at all thrilled about this

In the event that it took a while to secure a job it wouldnt take long to eat a major hole in any savings (particularly in Australia) - not a situation I wished to put myself in.

My outlook has always been that if the area you plan to move to genuinely has a "Skills Shortage" like is being suggested then finding employment should be easy (I understand that employers like to meet/interview/get a feel for any potential employees but with Skype etc and sufficient work experience/references etc you can do this to a sufficient degree I believe) and the fact that it was virtually impossible to find a job in Australia before being there was not encouraging.

It appears that Canada, on the other hand, is happy to provide this type of security and thats been a deal clincher for me

As has been mentioned - No money = No fun - The weather/sights/scenery are all important and must be took into consideration but none of them pay the bills.......
Old Jan 6th 2013, 6:04 am
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute

but not having a job lined up can work too, I think those that wait for a job from the UK as they dont want to take any risk may wait a very long time. You can come here and get a job but you need to network and do it the right way, have the right occupation and have some luck too.\

You are right though - money does equal happiness in emigration, its so very necessary
Old Jan 6th 2013, 6:16 am
BE Enthusiast

Arty has a reputation beyond reputeArty has a reputation beyond reputeArty has a reputation beyond reputeArty has a reputation beyond reputeArty has a reputation beyond reputeArty has a reputation beyond reputeArty has a reputation beyond reputeArty has a reputation beyond reputeArty has a reputation beyond reputeArty has a reputation beyond reputeArty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Howefamily
but not having a job lined up can work too, I think those that wait for a job from the UK as they dont want to take any risk may wait a very long time. You can come here and get a job but you need to network and do it the right way, have the right occupation and have some luck too.\

You are right though - money does equal happiness in emigration, its so very necessary
+1
Old Jan 6th 2013, 6:17 am
BE Enthusiast

Arty has a reputation beyond reputeArty has a reputation beyond reputeArty has a reputation beyond reputeArty has a reputation beyond reputeArty has a reputation beyond reputeArty has a reputation beyond reputeArty has a reputation beyond reputeArty has a reputation beyond reputeArty has a reputation beyond reputeArty has a reputation beyond reputeArty has a reputation beyond repute

No money=No fun!

+1
Old Jan 6th 2013, 6:21 am

TheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tempal
So happy to hear its been a great positive experience for you all!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.