Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

800,000 Canadians need foodbank help

800,000 Canadians need foodbank help

Old Nov 20th 2009, 7:55 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 800,000 Canadians need foodbank help

Originally Posted by iaink
The vast majority of elected governments in canada in the last 100 years have been liberal...
No argument. But the Liberals might increase the level of social assistance, Harper certainly won't.
Old Nov 20th 2009, 7:56 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

The vast majority of elected governments in canada in the last 100 years have been liberal...
Social welfare for the most part is a provincial responsibility.
Old Nov 20th 2009, 8:30 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Surprised to see so many comments saying the UK benefits system doesn't help with mortgages.

It does.

Not capital of course but the interest on repayments. In the early stages of a mortgage that is most of the repayment.

The idea has always been that the lender will accept interest only allowing the person to get back on their feet without losing their home.

It's an arrangement that has worked quite well.
Old Nov 21st 2009, 5:18 am
BE Enthusiast

canadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to behold

Bloody hell this is such a good point. The supermarkets look good because they collect but that's all they're doing. If they matched donated items on an equal basis, then I would be more impressed. But having a bin collecting goods people have paid full price for in their own store. This is lame.

Originally Posted by brizzle
...why should I contribute to the profits of huge supermarket companies when making a foodbank donation?
Old Nov 21st 2009, 8:55 am
BE Troll

Lord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond repute

Google the Edscha plant closing in Niagara Falls for just one example. This one was followed by a CBC documentary.

German parent company closed a salvageable plant (Edscha were profitable in Canada at the time by the way), which is bad enough, but then it transferred all its its assets to a non canadian subsidiary, and then claimed poverty (having stripped the assets itself) and being unable to pay the contractually due severance and pension commitments in favour of the workers getting the legal minimum entitlement, which the tax payers of ontario will pick up the tab for. Its totally immoral, it happens far too often, and the government does nothing to freeze the assets of these corporations to stop it.
Well that is one example of a German company who did something that made the national news media. By simply looking around at my family, friends, work colleagues, etc, who are retired and receiving a pension, I am not prepared to think that your example is anywhere close to the norm. At the same time if the province stepped in to pick up the tab, then the folks are still receiving their pensions and have an income so that they can buy there own food.

Last edited by Lord Vader; Nov 21st 2009 at 9:01 am.
Old Nov 21st 2009, 10:26 am
Happy in NB

Dave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond repute

Here in NB (Fredericton is my only experience) people collect for the foodbank right in the supermarkets. As you enter they give you a little card saying what type of canned, dried goods they are looking for and for the sake of 5$ I pick up a couple of hamburger helper etc...

Also I have packed the Christmas Boxes for families in need here in Fredericton and I can tell you that the supermarkets donate alot of the dried goods, cans and stored baked cookies for those. We packed about 680 boxes last christmas which basically provided Christmas dinner, plus for families.

Apparently a major increase here in NB has been the workers returning from the west.

I too have seen people and know of people who use the foodbank and seem to have money for cigarettes, beer etc... I wouldnt want to condemn people to a life of misery, deviod of any pleasures but sometimes it is about priorities. PS unemployment in Fredericton is 4.8% and there are Help Wanted signs about.
Old Nov 23rd 2009, 1:29 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lord Vader
Well that is one example of a German company who did something that made the national news media. By simply looking around at my family, friends, work colleagues, etc, who are retired and receiving a pension, I am not prepared to think that your example is anywhere close to the norm. At the same time if the province stepped in to pick up the tab, then the folks are still receiving their pensions and have an income so that they can buy there own food.
You can think what you like, but Edscha is just one example of many where long term workers are finding that their financial foundation has been washed out from under them and that the pensions that they paid into for years are now worth nothing,and that the severance pay they were due is not going to happen either. Its a disgracefull situation.

And now that international corporations are catching on that the goverment here wont stand up against them its becoming more and more common. Edscha is far from an isolated example. Its frankley rather scary when you look around. The province has done the legal minimum, which is not exactly what someone with 20+ years time served with a company is planning their financial life around. The minimum the province should have done is to stop the asset stripping so the union could sell the hardware to provide funds to cover the companies contractual commitment to the workers.

Last edited by iaink; Nov 23rd 2009 at 4:10 pm.
Old Nov 23rd 2009, 2:22 pm
Just Joined

fiona705 has a brilliant futurefiona705 has a brilliant futurefiona705 has a brilliant futurefiona705 has a brilliant futurefiona705 has a brilliant futurefiona705 has a brilliant futurefiona705 has a brilliant future

I work in a food shop that gets customers coming in with 'food voucher' type things for free basics - milk, bread - I cant remember the 3rd item - Im not sure but I think its a 'food bank' type company that gives these out to 'people in need'
The thing that really pisses me off is they (some not all) get their free stuff and then spend their money on Booze & cigarettes!!!!!!

If your that hard up & cant afford food what the hell are you doing spending money on beer & cigarettes???????
Old Nov 23rd 2009, 2:31 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fiona705
If your that hard up & cant afford food what the hell are you doing spending money on beer & cigarettes???????
Beer's a kind of food innit? Lots of valuable nutrients in beer.
Old Nov 23rd 2009, 2:33 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fiona705
I work in a food shop that gets customers coming in with 'food voucher' type things for free basics - milk, bread - I cant remember the 3rd item - Im not sure but I think its a 'food bank' type company that gives these out to 'people in need'
The thing that really pisses me off is they (some not all) get their free stuff and then spend their money on Booze & cigarettes!!!!!!

Beer & cigs is the states way of keeping these people from rioting.
Old Nov 23rd 2009, 2:34 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

And cigarettes are addictive believe it or not... For many its not really a choice.
Old Nov 23rd 2009, 2:37 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

And cigarettes are addictive believe it or not... For many its not really a choice.
And given how much of the price of cigs is actually tax it's hardly a major net spend anyway.
Old Nov 23rd 2009, 2:42 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

Originally Posted by dbd33
Lots of valuable nutrients in beer.
Surely not in domestic beer though?
Old Nov 23rd 2009, 2:44 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Surely not in domestic beer though?
Indeed, I rush to feel superior to poor people who drink domestic beer and/or smoke menthol cigarettes.
Old Nov 23rd 2009, 3:06 pm
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Cookie
I volunteered at our local foodbank for 10 months and saw many families who would arrive with young adult kids. They would stand outside and smoke so had enough money for ciggies. They used to pee me right off - I wanted to shout out "get a bloody job you lazy ^&%&^*!". Nothing pees me off like able-bodied people saying they haven't enough food or money to live on when they can spend around $12-14 per pack of ciggies
On the other hand there were definitely people who needed help. Recently unemployed, and quite a few people who you could tell had led a hard life, and there was also quite a lot of single parent families - we used to hand out split packs of diapers, toothpaste, shampoo, baby food etc too.

People had to show their 'benefits' card and could only go to the foodbank once per month.
Nothing pees me off like a judgemental do-gooder.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.