Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

800,000 Canadians need foodbank help

800,000 Canadians need foodbank help

Old Nov 20th 2009, 6:23 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 800,000 Canadians need foodbank help

Originally Posted by wheatsheaf
where have u been the last decade, let alone the last 2 years?. You are the victim of obfuscation, and the sheep mentality. See post 73. In your world there are only 2 socioeconomic strata: man eating man, and man eating nothing. That is NOT the Canadian way, or so I was led to believe. If yours IS the Canadian way, I want no part of it. Too many generations have sacrificed too much for too long to have life lowered to your level of existence.
Correct. The Canadian way is to ignore the root cause of hungry families, but drop a bottle of maple syrup into the food bank box, and walk away, as if the problem has gone away.
Old Nov 20th 2009, 6:44 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Oh dear. I dont think I've seen so much projection in one place since the last time I went to the cinema!
Old Nov 20th 2009, 6:46 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
Oh dear. I dont think I've seen so much projection in one place since the last time I went to the cinema!
You've been itching to use that line, haven't you?!
Old Nov 20th 2009, 6:51 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty
Correct. The Canadian way is to ignore the root cause of hungry families, but drop a bottle of maple syrup into the food bank box, and walk away, as if the problem has gone away.
To be fair ...

I did a lot of tax returns this year. My clients may not be a representative sample, but the amount of money they donate to various charities is staggering. As they go about it quietly only they, their accountant, the CRA and (possibly) God, knows about it.
Old Nov 20th 2009, 6:55 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

You've been itching to use that line, haven't you?!
It came to me in a dream....after I dozed off wading through all the self serving opinion offered up as fact in this thread.
Old Nov 20th 2009, 7:00 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

It came to me in a dream....after I dozed off wading through all the self serving opinion offered up as fact in this thread.
You do realize this is a web forum right?
Old Nov 20th 2009, 7:04 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

Originally Posted by Alan2005
You do realize this is a web forum right?
Thanks for that timely reminder, I thought I has accidentally stumbled into Rush Limbaughs blog or something...
Old Nov 20th 2009, 7:05 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for that timely reminder, I thought I has accidentally stumbled into Rush Limbaughs blog or something...
If that's my views your are talking about - you are way off the mark.
Old Nov 20th 2009, 7:05 pm
Lowering the tone

Originally Posted by JonboyE
To be fair ...

I did a lot of tax returns this year. My clients may not be a representative sample, but the amount of money they donate to various charities is staggering. As they go about it quietly only they, their accountant, the CRA and (possibly) God, knows about it.
I'm sure you're right. All the individual Canadians I know are extremely charitable, and I've always said that as a country, Canada is the most charitable place I've ever seen. But, is it counter-productive? Is charity acting as a sort of 'enabler' which acts as a plaster where actually surgery is required?

With so much charity, the fact that there are still more hungry families and homeless people than can be helped surely points to a major underlying flaw in society? And my point is that Canadians - in general - would seemingly rather take the (easy) charitable solutions over the (difficult) political ones.
Old Nov 20th 2009, 7:08 pm

I'm sure you're right. All the individual Canadians I know are extremely charitable, and I've always said that as a country, Canada is the most charitable place I've ever seen. But, is it counter-productive? Is charity acting as a sort of 'enabler' which acts as a plaster where actually surgery is required?

With so much charity, the fact that there are still more hungry families and homeless people than can be helped surely points to a major underlying flaw in society? And my point is that Canadians - in general - would seemingly rather take the (easy) charitable solutions over the (difficult) political ones.
Exactly. For instance, nobody is going to vote for any policy that leads to cheaper housing, even though socially and economically that is in the best interests of society as a whole. Hypocrites.
Old Nov 20th 2009, 7:11 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

Politicians and policy reflect the society that elects them...

I think to the average Brit , used to the NHS and welfare state that came after WWii, Canada looks a relatively harsh and uncaring society.(lets not forget we are a small minority here!)

To an american, it looks like some pinko liberal haven for the workshy.

It is what it is, it's Canada. Over time it will change to reflect the people that come here I guess

The general argument is that people prefer to decide for themselves who they want to help and to what degree, rather than have the goverment reach into their pocket and decide for them.

Last edited by iaink; Nov 20th 2009 at 7:32 pm.
Old Nov 20th 2009, 7:22 pm

Politicians reflect the society that elects them...

I think to the average Brit, used to the NHS and welfare state that came after WWii, Canada looks a relatively harsh and uncaring society.

To an american, it looks like some pinko liberal haven for the workshy.

It is what it is, it's Canada. Over time it will change to reflect the people that come here I guess

The general argument is that people prefer to decide for themselves who they want to help and to what degree, rather than have the goverment reach into their pocket and decide for them.
- Helping people in dire straights is a good thing.
- Helping people maintain a lifestyle that they can no longer afford is not.
Old Nov 20th 2009, 7:42 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

There is a very real issue here. I don't think that anyone wants to live in a society where someone who is down on their luck, through no fault of their own, is not given a helping hand. Food and shelter at some dignified and civilized level is surely a right of citizenship.

On the other hand, we all want to live in a society where everyone makes the contribution appropriate to their abilities. If the Daily Mail is to be believed, Britain is riven with families who have not worked for generations and teenage girls getting pregnant to get a council house and benefits for life.

The Daily Mail apart, when I grew up in the North East in the 60s I knew families where no one worked and no one had any intention of working, excepting the odd bit of B&E. I would be very surprised if any of their offspring have broken an honest sweat since.

Somewhere social assistance stops being a leg up to the needy and becomes a disincentive to work and contribute. That level is set lower in Canada than the UK. As iaink has said, this level is set by society through its elected leaders. It is not going to change much as long as we keep sending conservatives back to parliament. However, it does reflect an attitude that seems very common around here, "that it is not what you do that matters, just as long as you do something."
Old Nov 20th 2009, 7:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Easterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond repute

The payments last only at the most 35 weeks and then they stop until you have worked enough hours to recollect. The benefits will not be paid if you quit a position without due cause, and you can be asked to verify that you did not cause the loss of the job.
Originally Posted by brizzle
This is still preferable to living off Income support/Job seekers etc, if you were laid off in the UK
Old Nov 20th 2009, 7:53 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

Originally Posted by JonboyE
It is not going to change much as long as we keep sending conservatives back to parliament.
The vast majority of elected post war governments in canada have been liberal...

If you want to be cynical about it, look at where the vast majority of current immigrants are coming from and the standard of living and welfare provision there (China, India, Pakistan, Philippines etc). If anything Canada will continue to head farther in the direction of US minimal intervention, with the US perhaps becoming a little more liberal to meet us in the middle.

You could even argue that in order for there to be a level economic playing field across NAFTA some sort of convergence is inevitable?

Last edited by iaink; Nov 20th 2009 at 8:01 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.