Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

800,000 Canadians need foodbank help

800,000 Canadians need foodbank help

Old Nov 19th 2009, 11:44 pm

dboy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: 800,000 Canadians need foodbank help

Originally Posted by fledermaus
It's not new though is it. What is new is that people on this forum are beginning to see Canada's warts

The 2007 Report Card on Child and Family
Poverty in Canada states that before
income taxes, 1 in 6 or 1.13 million
children in Canada live in poverty
(Campaign2000.ca)

In the counties of Northumberland, Haliburton and the City of Kawartha Lakes
11.5% of households experience food
insecurity due to lack of money

Both of those quotes are from the HKPR Health Unit report on poverty.
According to these figures, it's worse in the UK (3.8 million kids). I do remember it being particularly bad in manchester:

http://www.oxfam.org.uk/resources/uk...ertyfacts.html
Old Nov 19th 2009, 11:45 pm

Originally Posted by Alan2005
To put one in is probably prohibitively expensive. The cost of a few people taking the piss is probably negligible compared to the cost of enforcing it.
That's the problem with what is essentially an honour system. Given they are strapped for money as it is, it's just not realistic to expect enforcement. Makes you mad though. Some people have no shame.
Old Nov 19th 2009, 11:50 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dboy
That's the problem with what is essentially an honour system. Given they are strapped for money as it is, it's just not realistic to expect enforcement. Makes you mad though. Some people have no shame.
True, but I suspect the people with the brass neck to do this are probably in the minority. It could be the well dressed women had just lost her job or even just been to an interview; you just can't tell by appearances.
Old Nov 19th 2009, 11:52 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dboy
There is clearly no system in place to assess who really needs the help.
This is done deliberately. The food bank sets out to give assistance while respecting the dignity of the recipients. They would rather give food to people who don't need it than discourage those that do need help from seeking it.
Old Nov 20th 2009, 12:12 am
Forum Regular

sparkling_gal has much to be proud ofsparkling_gal has much to be proud ofsparkling_gal has much to be proud ofsparkling_gal has much to be proud ofsparkling_gal has much to be proud ofsparkling_gal has much to be proud ofsparkling_gal has much to be proud ofsparkling_gal has much to be proud ofsparkling_gal has much to be proud ofsparkling_gal has much to be proud ofsparkling_gal has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by fledermaus
I agree, surprisingly. A friend back in the UK has been made redundant while off sick with a broken arm. She is now on 65 pounds a week income support or sick pay. As she has a mortgage there is no help towards her housing as there would be if she was in rented. She will soon be unable to pay her mortgage.
That happened to me a few years ago. I was an assault victim and v poorly for many months. Like you say - if you were renting - you'd get your rent paid. But a lot of us bought houses cos the government encouraged folk to do so.

It really bugs me when folk assume everyone that is unable to work is a sponger. I wonder how they would feel if they became a victim of accident or crime and suddenly couldn't work?
Old Nov 20th 2009, 12:59 am

True, but I suspect the people with the brass neck to do this are probably in the minority. It could be the well dressed women had just lost her job or even just been to an interview; you just can't tell by appearances.
True - or it was here friend's car. But I think that the food bank here is more prominent in every day culture and thus is more likely to be used by those that are not 'poor' in the true sense of the word.
Old Nov 20th 2009, 1:01 am

Originally Posted by JonboyE
This is done deliberately. The food bank sets out to give assistance while respecting the dignity of the recipients. They would rather give food to people who don't need it than discourage those that do need help from seeking it.
Good point. No need in making people feel scrutinized when its a bad enough blow to one's pride asking for a handout
Old Nov 20th 2009, 3:18 am
BE Enthusiast

wheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud of

If you can't afford the insurance, then you can't afford the mortgage. It's tough if you are in that situation, but it's people like that that have bid up on property that they can't afford at the expense of more sensible people. I have limited sympathy when it goes wrong.

you inspire limited sympathy yourself.

you ignore the fact that these people have worked many many years, and kept to the 'social contract' of contributing at least by not milking the system at the same time supporting it. That they have bought homes as they have a right to in any developed country, should not make them eligible to be treated as millionaires especially when the real millionaire are getting subsidised by the nation's tax revenues.
Old Nov 20th 2009, 4:11 am

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wheatsheaf
you inspire limited sympathy yourself.

you ignore the fact that these people have worked many many years, and kept to the 'social contract' of contributing at least by not milking the system at the same time supporting it. That they have bought homes as they have a right to in any developed country, should not make them eligible to be treated as millionaires especially when the real millionaire are getting subsidised by the nation's tax revenues.
So? my tax dollars shouldn't be helping them get a free or subsidized asset. I also don't want my tax going towards people who bought things they can't really afford - yeah it sucks for them, but the prudent should not be bailing out the feckless. Yes, they have a right to buy a house, but they also have the responsibility to pay for it or face foreclosure.
Old Nov 20th 2009, 12:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

wheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud of

So? my tax dollars shouldn't be helping them get a free or subsidized asset. I also don't want my tax going towards people who bought things they can't really afford - yeah it sucks for them, but the prudent should not be bailing out the feckless. Yes, they have a right to buy a house, but they also have the responsibility to pay for it or face foreclosure.
so they shouldnt be buying things they cant afford? what world do you live in? That is precisely the formula in all free economies, and if it were not, there would be revolutions everywhere. Moreover, most people buy homes in the sincere belief that by working hard they will be able to own those homes. That they find themselves in penury through no fault of their own should not also mean living in the street.
Old Nov 20th 2009, 2:43 pm

so they shouldnt be buying things they cant afford? what world do you live in? That is precisely the formula in all free economies, and if it were not, there would be revolutions everywhere. Moreover, most people buy homes in the sincere belief that by working hard they will be able to own those homes. That they find themselves in penury through no fault of their own should not also mean living in the street.
Where to start with this nonsense.

The economy does not run on people buying things they can't afford (have you been asleep for the last two years or something?). When people borrow money to pay for something, they are drawing down their future income. There is a default risk that they might not be able to pay for this which is built into the interest rate (the reason for the credit crunch is that the price of debt was far too low for the risk). However there is no assumption of not being able to afford it.

John buys a house at 10x salary, but is so stretched that he can't afford to pay for proper payment protection insurance.
Jane buys a house at 5x salary, and therefore can afford to be properly insured.

John and Jane both 'work hard' at the same place but have been laid off. Jane gets to keep her house cos she didn't take a stupid risk. John is in the shit and will have his house taken away from him.

Explain to me why John isn't an idiot who has bought something he cannot afford. Explain to me why John should get to keep his house and in your explanation, try and explain to me why Jane should have bothered with insurance at all.

And while you are doing this, try not to refer to 'working hard' and 'social contract' as those are meaningless phrases designed to prompt a positive emotional response. Typically they are used by politicians when they want to obfuscate an argument; I mean why not go the whole hog and say 'hard working canadian families'.
Old Nov 20th 2009, 3:52 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

Explain to me why John isn't an idiot who has bought something he cannot afford. Explain to me why the taxpayer should pay to help John should get to keep his house and in your explanation, try and explain to me why Jane should have bothered with insurance at all. Explain why John thinks even after receiving taxpayer's help to keep his house, he feels entitled to also expect capital/equity gain, and to keep this all for himself.
Excellent post, Alan. Amended only slightly.
Old Nov 20th 2009, 4:05 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lord Vader
Because you are talking with your butt cheeks wheatsheaf. Please back up the statement of companies "deliberately firing employees who could soon collect pension benefits". I don't mean an article somewhere or the fact that perhaps with the recent economic turmoil a few companies forced into laying people off. I am talking about cold hard evidence. Do you know the difference between a defined benefit plan and a defined contribution plan? So you know what "vested funds" mean?

I would also like you to explain what you meant by Canadians or Americans working for retirement being a gross lie. What are you talking about?
Google the Edscha plant closing in Niagara Falls for just one example. This one was followed by a CBC documentary.

German parent company closed a salvageable plant (Edscha were profitable in Canada at the time by the way), which is bad enough, but then it transferred all its its assets to a non canadian subsidiary, and then claimed poverty (having stripped the assets itself) and being unable to pay the contractually due severance and pension commitments in favour of the workers getting the legal minimum entitlement, which the tax payers of ontario will pick up the tab for. Its totally immoral, it happens far too often, and the government does nothing to freeze the assets of these corporations to stop it.
Old Nov 20th 2009, 5:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

Where to start with this nonsense.

The economy does not run on people buying things they can't afford (have you been asleep for the last two years or something?). When people borrow money to pay for something, they are drawing down their future income. There is a default risk that they might not be able to pay for this which is built into the interest rate (the reason for the credit crunch is that the price of debt was far too low for the risk). However there is no assumption of not being able to afford it.

John buys a house at 10x salary, but is so stretched that he can't afford to pay for proper payment protection insurance.
Jane buys a house at 5x salary, and therefore can afford to be properly insured.

John and Jane both 'work hard' at the same place but have been laid off. Jane gets to keep her house cos she didn't take a stupid risk. John is in the shit and will have his house taken away from him.

Explain to me why John isn't an idiot who has bought something he cannot afford. Explain to me why John should get to keep his house and in your explanation, try and explain to me why Jane should have bothered with insurance at all.

And while you are doing this, try not to refer to 'working hard' and 'social contract' as those are meaningless phrases designed to prompt a positive emotional response. Typically they are used by politicians when they want to obfuscate an argument; I mean why not go the whole hog and say 'hard working canadian families'.
where have u been the last decade, let alone the last 2 years?. You are the victim of obfuscation, and the sheep mentality. See post 73. In your world there are only 2 socioeconomic strata: man eating man, and man eating nothing. That is NOT the Canadian way, or so I was led to believe. If yours IS the Canadian way, I want no part of it. Too many generations have sacrificed too much for too long to have life lowered to your level of existence.
Old Nov 20th 2009, 6:05 pm

where have u been the last decade, let alone the last 2 years?. You are the victim of obfuscation, and the sheep mentality. See post 73. In your world there are only 2 socioeconomic strata: man eating man, and man eating nothing. That is NOT the Canadian way, or so I was led to believe. If yours IS the Canadian way, I want no part of it. Too many generations have sacrificed too much for too long to have life lowered to your level of existence.
That would be a no you can't explain then.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.