Reload this Page >

800,000 Canadians need foodbank help

800,000 Canadians need foodbank help

Old Nov 19th 2009, 8:28 pm
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: 800,000 Canadians need foodbank help

Originally Posted by brizzle
This is still preferable to living off Income support/Job seekers etc, if you were laid off in the UK
I agree, surprisingly. A friend back in the UK has been made redundant while off sick with a broken arm. She is now on 65 pounds a week income support or sick pay. As she has a mortgage there is no help towards her housing as there would be if she was in rented. She will soon be unable to pay her mortgage.
Old Nov 19th 2009, 8:35 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

There is no support if you have a mortgage here either...
Old Nov 19th 2009, 8:44 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
There is no support if you have a mortgage here either...
And nor should there be.
Old Nov 19th 2009, 8:48 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Alan2005
And nor should there be.
I don't see why people in rented get help and those buying a home don't. I can see that the govt shouldn't help you buy your home but there could be some sort of loan from the govt to stop you having to sell. I have no idea how this could be managed but it doesn't seem balanced they way it is.
Old Nov 19th 2009, 8:59 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

Can't you take out unemployment insurance with your mortgage?
Old Nov 19th 2009, 9:00 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fledermaus
I don't see why people in rented get help and those buying a home don't. I can see that the govt shouldn't help you buy your home but there could be some sort of loan from the govt to stop you having to sell. I have no idea how this could be managed but it doesn't seem balanced they way it is.
Eh? You've got an asset. It should be sold before tax payers have to bail you out.

Edit: I wouldn't expect renters to be bailed out either.

If you have social housing, it should apply the same to everyone. I.e. you lose your home, then you get help. You don't get help to keep your current lifestyle.

Last edited by Alan2005; Nov 19th 2009 at 9:05 pm.
Old Nov 19th 2009, 9:05 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty
Can't you take out unemployment insurance with your mortgage?
I suppose one can. My friend says that she couldn't afford the insurance. I don't think the flat is an asset either now as I think she's in negative equity.
Old Nov 19th 2009, 9:07 pm

I suppose one can. My friend says that she couldn't afford the insurance. I don't think the flat is an asset either now as I think she's in negative equity.
If you can't afford the insurance, then you can't afford the mortgage. It's tough if you are in that situation, but it's people like that that have bid up on property that they can't afford at the expense of more sensible people. I have limited sympathy when it goes wrong.
Old Nov 19th 2009, 9:09 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Alan2005
Eh? You've got an asset. It should be sold before tax payers have to bail you out.

Edit: I wouldn't expect renters to be bailed out either.

If you have social housing, it should apply the same to everyone. I.e. you lose your home, then you get help. You don't get help to keep your current lifestyle.
Just read your edit.

It's the inequality that annoys me. If she rented her place then she would get help. Why do renters get help? If she loses her home because of this then she won't find it easy to get a new place without having a job.

Maybe there should be a scheme where if you are unable to pay the mortgage then the govt becomes part owners of your property and so pays the mortgage. Or they pay it and you have to pay them back when you sell, or within so many years.???
Old Nov 19th 2009, 9:10 pm

Just read your edit.

It's the inequality that annoys me. If she rented her place then she would get help. Why do renters get help? If she loses her home because of this then she won't find it easy to get a new place without having a job.

Maybe there should be a scheme where if you are unable to pay the mortgage then the govt becomes part owners of your property and so pays the mortgage. Or they pay it and you have to pay them back when you sell, or within so many years.???
I'd expect renters who can't pay to be booted out of their expensive condo's and put into the same social housing (if it exists) as home-owners. That's the equitable way. Otherwise you end up paying the mortgage for the home-owner who then reaps the benefits whilst the renter ends up with nothing.
Old Nov 19th 2009, 9:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

brizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to behold

I agree, surprisingly. A friend back in the UK has been made redundant while off sick with a broken arm. She is now on 65 pounds a week income support or sick pay. As she has a mortgage there is no help towards her housing as there would be if she was in rented. She will soon be unable to pay her mortgage.
Didn't there used to be help in paying mortgage interest only for unemployed people ??
Old Nov 19th 2009, 9:18 pm

Originally Posted by brizzle
Didn't there used to be help in paying mortgage interest only for unemployed people ??
In the UK they used to do this. I remember reading of changes to this scheme, so am not quite sure what it is exactly now (this is the reverse of fled's complaint: i.e. renters get no help, home owners get the interest paid)
Old Nov 19th 2009, 10:21 pm
BE Troll

Lord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wheatsheaf
companies are getting rid of employees who are on the threshold of qualifying for full company pensions, leaving them to the immediate circumstance of a poor job market and so having to exhaust savings, EI with final resort to food banks.

Why are you so smug vader?
Because you are talking with your butt cheeks wheatsheaf. Please back up the statement of companies "deliberately firing employees who could soon collect pension benefits". I don't mean an article somewhere or the fact that perhaps with the recent economic turmoil a few companies forced into laying people off. I am talking about cold hard evidence. Do you know the difference between a defined benefit plan and a defined contribution plan? So you know what "vested funds" mean?

I would also like you to explain what you meant by Canadians or Americans working for retirement being a gross lie. What are you talking about?
Old Nov 19th 2009, 11:41 pm

dboy is an unknown quantity at this point

I think its in part because the bank has been around for so long and everyone knows about it. I some times give evidence at court in Richmond which is near one. I parked behind a convertible GT mustang and a middle aged woman dressed to the nines was loading up the trunk.

Not say that there aren't those that are needy. There is clearly no system in place to assess who really needs the help.
Old Nov 19th 2009, 11:43 pm

Originally Posted by dboy
I think its in part because the bank has been around for so long and everyone knows about it. I some times give evidence at court in Richmond which is near one. I parked behind a convertible GT mustang and a middle aged woman dressed to the nines was loading up the trunk.

Not say that there aren't those that are needy. There is clearly no system in place to assess who really needs the help.
To put one in is probably prohibitively expensive. The cost of a few people taking the piss is probably negligible compared to the cost of enforcing it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.