Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

7 weeks till we fly - eeeek - so many questions

7 weeks till we fly - eeeek - so many questions

Old Jul 30th 2014, 6:27 pm
Forum Regular

GMS_AMS is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: 7 weeks till we fly - eeeek - so many questions

It's all suddenly feeling VERY real. Had the International Movers come today, and pack up our 10 boxes of possessions. And tomorrow we move out of our house......to stay with the in-laws for 5 weeks!

Thanks so much everyone for all your hints, tips & advice - we greatly appreciate it :-)

Gillian
Old Jul 30th 2014, 6:46 pm
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute

eeeeeee that's exciting!!!! Good luck!!!

There's probably going to be a Toronto meetup organised for September, watch the Maple Leaf forum, probably will post about it in another 2-3 weeks.
Old Jul 30th 2014, 8:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

HGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lisa Wright
Hi!

My husband and I are moving over to Canada in 6 weeks so we're in a very similar boat! Eeek!

Hadn't even thought about getting our medical records before we go... oops!

We were so confused/worried about the banking situation and transferring the large amount of money that selling our house created-we looked into using our bank (Barclays) but in the end we used a London based fx company and they've looked after everything for us and seemed a lot more reasonable than the bank! Let me know if you would like their details

Good luck with your move!
We didn't bring them either, never even crossed our minds, although I suppose it should have! What has been really useful though is the record of the kids vaccinations as, at least in our area, they can refuse attendance at school if your child does not have the required injections. I would definitely recommend that any one with children brings this with them.
Old Jul 30th 2014, 8:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

HGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GMS_AMS
It's all suddenly feeling VERY real. Had the International Movers come today, and pack up our 10 boxes of possessions. And tomorrow we move out of our house......to stay with the in-laws for 5 weeks!

Thanks so much everyone for all your hints, tips & advice - we greatly appreciate it :-)

Gillian
Aah, the 'homeless', living out of a suitcase stage! Remember it well, four people and twelve suitcases in one hotel room doesn't really go. It is exciting though, congratulations, and we hope to welcome you at the next Toronto meetup.
Old Jul 31st 2014, 11:58 am
BE Enthusiast

J-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond repute

GMS_AMS - I've sent you a long ad drawn out private message - I hope it helps.
Old Aug 2nd 2014, 2:07 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by SchnookoLoly
There's probably going to be a Toronto meetup organised for September, watch the Maple Leaf forum, probably will post about it in another 2-3 weeks.
That sounds awesome - thanks for the heads-up SchnookoLoly, we will defo try and make it!
Old Aug 2nd 2014, 2:09 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by HGerchikov
Aah, the 'homeless', living out of a suitcase stage! Remember it well, four people and twelve suitcases in one hotel room doesn't really go. It is exciting though, congratulations, and we hope to welcome you at the next Toronto meetup.
Hi HGerchikov
Yes......its been less than 48hrs, and already its 'challenging'
Old Aug 4th 2014, 10:47 am
Forum Regular

CFAmovingsoon is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ontario70
Scotiabank have a welcome to Canada package for new immigrants, i hope its still the same as we've been here 4 years now. hope i'm not giving you wrong info
We popped into service Canada when we first arrived and got our SIN numbers and then went to Scotia and opened up our bank accounts and we were able to get a visa card with a $1000 limit as well.

Good luck and hope the move goes well
Opened a Scotiabank account in April, they still have the new immigrants package going, includes a $100 bonus somehow, which came after 3 months, you have online options and no fee if you have a minimum in your account. What you need to open is indeed your SIN, but also passport and COPR forms.
Old Aug 7th 2014, 7:50 pm
Forum Regular

muners is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by caretaker
Bank at your local credit union, comrades, the big banks are class criminals. Also my credit union gives me a far better deal than Scotiabank ever did. For things like rrsp and tfsa accts Canadian Western has very good interest rates.
I take it you can't join a credit union withiut being there so would the advice be initially open a bank account to get started then open a credit union account once payroll etc all set up?