Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

6 months visit on uk passport

6 months visit on uk passport

Old Jun 12th 2007, 8:02 pm
Forum Regular

Nowhere has a spectacular aura aboutNowhere has a spectacular aura aboutNowhere has a spectacular aura about
Default 6 months visit on uk passport

I would REALLY appreciate it if anyone can help me with this..

I am going to canada for a month to visit friends, in other words for a vacation. However, afterwards I will be attending a 6 month course of study in Canada.

However, because I will be doing these things consequtively.. do I need to come all the way back to the uk after the vacation in order to be allowed a further 6 months entrance for the course?
Old Jun 12th 2007, 8:09 pm
throw caution to the wind

louise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 6 months visit on uk passport

Originally Posted by Nowhere
I would REALLY appreciate it if anyone can help me with this..

I am going to canada for a month to visit friends, in other words for a vacation. However, afterwards I will be attending a 6 month course of study in Canada.

However, because I will be doing these things consequtively.. do I need to come all the way back to the uk after the vacation in order to be allowed a further 6 months entrance for the course?
No, you can cross the border into the USA to be granted another 6 months AFAIK. However I am not sure how this would work in practice as your right of entry would be decided by the IO at the port of entry. Have you considered applying for a study permit? I personally don't know much about them but I am sure others will advise.

Edited to add: why not do your study course first (caregiver course I assume from your previous posts) and visit with your friends once you have obtained a work permit?
Old Jun 12th 2007, 8:36 pm
Forum Regular

Nowhere has a spectacular aura aboutNowhere has a spectacular aura aboutNowhere has a spectacular aura about

Thank you for your response - do you know why an IO may refuse or limit entry as you suggest could happen?

Unfortunately the vacation is a visit that cannot be switched around as it is a special thing for my mother..
Old Jun 12th 2007, 8:47 pm
Forum Regular

Is it possible, and easier..to just apply for an extention of the intial entry of one month, giving reasons why, that being the 6 month course?
Old Jun 12th 2007, 8:59 pm

louise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you for your response - do you know why an IO may refuse or limit entry as you suggest could happen?

Unfortunately the vacation is a visit that cannot be switched around as it is a special thing for my mother..
Hi Nowhere, I m not suggesting that you would be refused entry but merely saying that entry is decided on the day by the IO available to you so therefore is a bit risky. One of the main reasons that they could refuse you is proving that you intend to return home after six months, another is proving you have enough funds to support you while you are here.
It is possible to apply for an extension to stay, my husband did it 3 times (he stayed in Canada for 3 years) he was totally honest on his application and stated that he wanted to stay with me (I had a work permit) while our PR application was being processed.
Old Jun 12th 2007, 9:27 pm
Forum Regular

I can easily supply details of enough funds and return plane ticket.. hopefully that will suffice.. I may just apply for an extention of stay, that would be the safest option.

Thank you for all your help Louise!
Old Jun 12th 2007, 11:39 pm
Forum Regular

well.. someone just told me that you CANNOT study on an extended visitors permit. Is this true? Could someone confirm please. In that case, I would not be able to simply extend the conditions of my stay.
Old Jun 13th 2007, 3:14 am

well.. someone just told me that you CANNOT study on an extended visitors permit. Is this true? Could someone confirm please. In that case, I would not be able to simply extend the conditions of my stay.
you can study in Canada for a maximum of six months without the need for a study permit.