Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

40% of people return home after 2 years?

40% of people return home after 2 years?

Old Feb 19th 2007, 3:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Now in West London, but one day soon in Vancouver.....!
julius smith has a reputation beyond reputejulius smith has a reputation beyond reputejulius smith has a reputation beyond reputejulius smith has a reputation beyond reputejulius smith has a reputation beyond reputejulius smith has a reputation beyond reputejulius smith has a reputation beyond reputejulius smith has a reputation beyond reputejulius smith has a reputation beyond reputejulius smith has a reputation beyond reputejulius smith has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 40% of people return home after 2 years?

talk about the old england, mike! when there was a copper on almost every street, you could leave your front door open and pop down to the corner shop, bread cost a shilling, and probably a pinta much the same. political correctness was unheard of, you basically said what you thought. and my favourite cars of that time...cortina 1600e, capri, zephyr/zodiac! and most kids were reasonably well behaved, virtually no trouble unlike these days from hoodies and what not, unless you mixed with the wrong people esp in the east of london! that was the real england, the likes of what you and me remember, but we'll never, ever see that again, mate! them were the days......

Originally Posted by montreal mike
Reading some of the threads at this forum, at times, paints a pretty bleak picture of the old country. One I can not recognise.

I grew up in an atmosphere/era of respect for ones elders, where one sang 'God save the King' before the picture started, where one recited a prayer and sang a hymn at grammar school prior to the commencement of classes etc.

I can still watch some of the old black and white movies and TV programs such as Poirot, Jeeves, Miss Marple etc. and well relate to that era.

I guess I should be glad I was born there in 1943, not 1963, or even 1983.
Old Feb 19th 2007, 3:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

steve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by batty-x-ray
er???? no, not even in jest
Oops, fingers got a life of their own... I apologise for the last part, not PC.
Old Feb 19th 2007, 11:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

montreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by julius smith
talk about the old england, mike! when there was a copper on almost every street, you could leave your front door open and pop down to the corner shop, bread cost a shilling, and probably a pinta much the same. political correctness was unheard of, you basically said what you thought. and my favourite cars of that time...cortina 1600e, capri, zephyr/zodiac! and most kids were reasonably well behaved, virtually no trouble unlike these days from hoodies and what not, unless you mixed with the wrong people esp in the east of london! that was the real england, the likes of what you and me remember, but we'll never, ever see that again, mate! them were the days......
I agree with your sentiments!

Now in all fairness the whole globe has changed a helluva lot in the last 40/50 years so the UK can't stay the same forever.

Canada has changed also. And not always for the better. But I still consider it to be a very civilized place to live. Without dwelling on the obvious I just have to go 60 miles south to compare.

I recall as a youngster in the early fifties that the UK was safe. You are so right. There was the friendly policeman walking the beat or on his bicycle. And we NEVER locked our house. There was no reason to. We can not go back in time as what's done is done. But there seems to be a lot of violence, social unrest, racism, and crime about. I also look daily at the UK section of the BBC site and, honestly, some of the stories I read are really disturbing at times.

Much as I am still fond of England I really am glad we came over when we did. I was last back in England in 1999 but nowadays most of my older relatives are gone to their graves (I am 63 and no spring chicken) so it is likely I will never go back to visit as really I have no good reason to.

I do however have fond memories. And always will.

Last edited by montreal mike; Feb 20th 2007 at 12:59 am.
Old Feb 20th 2007, 1:11 am
BE Forum Addict

montreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarkG
B

Growing up as a kid in the 70s I rarely saw any non-white, non-English kids around. The odd thing is, we never even considered the few who were at my schools at all strange, to us they were just kids, I don't remember any of them being harassed because of their skin or background, and I suspect if any kids had insulted them the teachers would have washed their mouth out with soap to remind them not to do it again... it's hard to imagine people being treated that way today after decades of growth of the race industry. When you see a black/yellow/green person the government pretty much requires you to consider their skin colour first before anything else.
The good news is that most children are naturally (what I will call) colour blind. The bad news is they all grow up to be adults and then some start to notice colour but in a completely negative light.

Last edited by montreal mike; Feb 20th 2007 at 1:14 am.
Old Feb 20th 2007, 1:18 am
BE Forum Addict

YYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond repute

The good news is that most children are naturally (what I will call) colour blind. The bad news is they all grow up to be adults and then some start to notice colour but in a completely negative light.
And most of the color blindness is taken out of them by their parents.
Old Feb 20th 2007, 1:24 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by TonyLondon22

......Being fascinated by the comments on these Forums I would tend to agree 100% Imagine living in Inner London at the moment! There has been 6 Murders(3 Schoolboys,unprecedented!) in the last 2 weeks alone. 3 in Peckham.1 in Streatham,1 in Clapham,last night one in Hackney.Drug Dealers are deliberately recruiting 15-year-old as they are exempt from stiff penalties if caught. The Police were on the Peckham Streets last night armed!!.Now what does one do? Operation Trident(Dealing with Black-On-Black Crime) is dealing with all 6 cases.(Just heard of 2 more yesterday in Moss-Side Manchester) so you could argue that you are unlikely to get caught in the cross-fire Does one stay or go,as far away as possible,to Australia,for example? The People who flee could easily move to a better part of The UK but move to Canada without doing their research and realise that it was The UK that was the problem.Canada isn't necessarilly the panacea.
I'm just so terribly sad for Britain that so many literate,sociable,well-qualified and talented People have left
I am having some trouble with your para.

Are you saying the UK is suffering violence at least to an extent because of crimes committed by blacks or are you simply saying there is far too much crime, period. In other words how big a factor, if any, is race or ethnicity in all this?
Old Feb 20th 2007, 1:25 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by YYZlover
And most of the color blindness is taken out of them by their parents.
Yes and that is an even better way of putting it.
Old Feb 20th 2007, 1:44 am
BE Forum Addict

hi again, yyzlover. i have 3 brothers and 2 sisters. i am the eldest.
what you are saying, i have already thought of doing, too! i am quietly getting ready and when the time is right, we'll let them know. god knows how hard we have laboured to look after them, and after half a lifetime, this is the thanks we get. one of my bros even had the cheek to say that i had no right to sell my house before going away, and that i should leave this house and just go! here was someone telling me what to do with my own house!!! as i may have said before, most of this is my own fault, as for many years i was a "mummy's boy".....always listening to what my mum had to say about my life and doing almost exactly what she wanted me to do, never mind what my wife felt! the moment we moved to canada the first time, that was it--in her mind, i had moved away from my mum and finally decided to make a life with my wife and family, which obviously she did not like, as that made her lose her grip on me and lose her control, as she is the biggest control freak i have ever seen. and she is now trying to get the kids on their side, thereby sidelining myself and the wife. my main point is that coming back does not solve anything, even if you are not having the same probs as us. what we were missing when we were in canada, just did not mean anything when we finally got here, funnily! churches, milk floats, corner shops, yeah yeah, so what we thought after just a few months!!
Being the eldest can turn out to be somewhat of a curse. So can being the youngest.

My mum was one of 12 kids. The youngest Aunt Alice was some 20 years younger than the first born. At age 22 her mum, my grannie, was close to 65 and frail. So Alice felt it her duty to take care of her. Surely her brothers and sisters had something to do with it. The others were happy they didn't have the job and they simply got on with their lives.

My Gran died at a ripe old age. It was 85 at which point Alice was no spring chicken, had once turned down an offer of marriage, and ended up a spinster, no hubby, no kids. It was sad.

Lesson to be learnt here. Julius you have only one life; you only go around once. So make the best of it.
Old Feb 20th 2007, 2:17 am
BE Forum Addict

daft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steve666
Oops, fingers got a life of their own... I apologise for the last part, not PC.
graciously offered steve, and accepted, hopefully just as graciously
Old Feb 20th 2007, 6:54 am
BE Forum Addict

steve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by batty-x-ray
graciously offered steve, and accepted, hopefully just as graciously
As gracious as the leading female ballet dancer in Swan Lake. Second act.
Can't remember the second act so lets hope I got that right
Old Feb 20th 2007, 7:35 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Now in West London, but one day soon in Vancouver.....!
julius smith has a reputation beyond reputejulius smith has a reputation beyond reputejulius smith has a reputation beyond reputejulius smith has a reputation beyond reputejulius smith has a reputation beyond reputejulius smith has a reputation beyond reputejulius smith has a reputation beyond reputejulius smith has a reputation beyond reputejulius smith has a reputation beyond reputejulius smith has a reputation beyond reputejulius smith has a reputation beyond repute

quite right, mike. the world has indeed changed, and for the worse, seems like. everything and everyone has to be politically correct, or you get ostracised. the uk has become a kinda melting pot, not of its own accord--rather it has been forced to become a melting pot by the powers in control. in some places, the huge concentrations of newcomers, whoever they may be, somalian, ethopian, bosnian, croation or whatever, have caused existing welfare infrastructure to almost burst at the seams. there is wholesale robbery, and other petty crime going on, with the law seemingly helpless to act. the island has finite resources, and sure, immigration is a good thing sometimes, especially if the native population are too lazy or just wont do the menial jobs, so someone from abroad can do them, but there are many other factors which go against wholesale immigration. we cant even control our own yobboes and hoodies etc yet, let alone any mafioso from overseas. point i am making is that the real england seemed to be just right, everything was dealt with, whether it upset a few or not. but the values england stood for in those days seems to have been eroded out of all proportion. its now everybody for himself and damn the next man, way it see it. yes, you are probably right in saying that even canada has changed, but going by my time there, not as much as whats happened here.

I agree with your sentiments!

Now in all fairness the whole globe has changed a helluva lot in the last 40/50 years so the UK can't stay the same forever.

Canada has changed also. And not always for the better. But I still consider it to be a very civilized place to live. Without dwelling on the obvious I just have to go 60 miles south to compare.

I recall as a youngster in the early fifties that the UK was safe. You are so right. There was the friendly policeman walking the beat or on his bicycle. And we NEVER locked our house. There was no reason to. We can not go back in time as what's done is done. But there seems to be a lot of violence, social unrest, racism, and crime about. I also look daily at the UK section of the BBC site and, honestly, some of the stories I read are really disturbing at times.

Much as I am still fond of England I really am glad we came over when we did. I was last back in England in 1999 but nowadays most of my older relatives are gone to their graves (I am 63 and no spring chicken) so it is likely I will never go back to visit as really I have no good reason to.

I do however have fond memories. And always will.
Old Feb 20th 2007, 3:37 pm
Forum Regular

weener is a jewel in the roughweener is a jewel in the roughweener is a jewel in the roughweener is a jewel in the rough

can't believe i have started such a long discussuion!!
Old Feb 20th 2007, 5:09 pm
Lotus-eater

Rich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TonyLondon22
I'm just so terribly sad for Britain that so many literate,sociable,well-qualified and talented People have left
Is this you
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/l...re/6379299.stm

Seriously though, we know that many good peeps are leaving the UK for distant shores. The UK has it's own manifest destiny to degrade and self-combust, it's an unstoppable downward degenerative force now.

It's social and economic restructuring, way past the experimentation phase of B.Liar's early years. This 'social experimentation' was known and understood by some, but the masses were too interested in Beckham and busy eating their full English breakfasts with chips and staring goggle eyed as Katie Price ballooned like a rotting whale carcass, to care less.

England will get what England deserves, don't blame the politicians, the people allowed it to happen. This is the result of laziness and apathy.

Rich.
Old Feb 20th 2007, 9:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

Gezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of light
Unhappy Re: 40% of people return home after 2 years?

Originally Posted by Rich_007
Is this you
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/l...re/6379299.stm

Seriously though, we know that many good peeps are leaving the UK for distant shores. The UK has it's own manifest destiny to degrade and self-combust, it's an unstoppable downward degenerative force now.

It's social and economic restructuring, way past the experimentation phase of B.Liar's early years. This 'social experimentation' was known and understood by some, but the masses were too interested in Beckham and busy eating their full English breakfasts with chips and staring goggle eyed as Katie Price ballooned like a rotting whale carcass, to care less.

England will get what England deserves, don't blame the politicians, the people allowed it to happen. This is the result of laziness and apathy.

Rich.

The 1st such experiment was in Russia in 1917, when the Bolshevics told their following that everyone would become rich and happy after Capitalism. Just as soon as their worlds 1st Peoples Democracy and Freedom are established. "Their prosperity ... will totally eclipse America's". They burned Churches or converted them for warehouses,confiscated all private land and goods. Within 3 years Russian agriculture collapsed. In various parts of the country people were selling body parts of their deceased relatives ....for food! (quoted from a U.K. secondary school history book. Most probably now..."moderated"! )
The point I am making is that there has never been a bad government in worlds history who would give its people warnings against it's own program of economic or political reforms.
Old Feb 21st 2007, 1:14 am
BE Forum Addict

quite right, mike. the world has indeed changed, and for the worse, seems like. everything and everyone has to be politically correct, or you get ostracised. the uk has become a kinda melting pot, not of its own accord--rather it has been forced to become a melting pot by the powers in control. in some places, the huge concentrations of newcomers, whoever they may be, somalian, ethopian, bosnian, croation or whatever, have caused existing welfare infrastructure to almost burst at the seams. there is wholesale robbery, and other petty crime going on, with the law seemingly helpless to act. the island has finite resources, and sure, immigration is a good thing sometimes, especially if the native population are too lazy or just wont do the menial jobs, so someone from abroad can do them, but there are many other factors which go against wholesale immigration. we cant even control our own yobboes and hoodies etc yet, let alone any mafioso from overseas. point i am making is that the real england seemed to be just right, everything was dealt with, whether it upset a few or not. but the values england stood for in those days seems to have been eroded out of all proportion. its now everybody for himself and damn the next man, way it see it. yes, you are probably right in saying that even canada has changed, but going by my time there, not as much as whats happened here.
What you observe is, in my view, very valid.

Even though I no longer live in the UK I myself am no great advocate of the so called 'great melting pot', where magically because of something called multiculturalism or multi-ethnicity everyone gets along just fine and we all live as one big happy family. I know that in reality it doesn’t work. Why should it?

Instead one ends up with ghettoes and it indeed folly to assume at all newcomers will seamlessly integrate into society.

I am not against immigration. I am one myself. But I do have a problem with bureaucrats and politicians who are bloody shortsighted and fail to plan properly. Decisions taken today will affect the next generation.

What I say here is just as applicable to Canada as it is to the UK.

I recall working in Hamburg, West Germany on a special assignment in 1972. I speak German fluently. There were many Turks in evidence, ostensibly do the dirty work that more affluent white Germans would not do. There was a certain arrogance in the air as I remember when I spoke to the locals they naively claimed these people (called ‘guest workers’) when no longer needed would simply be sent home.

Now look at West Germany today? They also have social problems because of heavy immigration. I am not against Turks or any other nationality (as I believe we are all creatures of The Lord and we are entitled to try to better ourselves) but why allow people into a country unless they fill a legitimate need? Why bring in people if they can’t even speak the lingo, if they can’t find decent work and thus become a burden on society? Why lower the standard of living for the rest?

My gut feel is that the UK, as well other European nations, will have to impose a virtual moratorium on immigration and thus become very selective as to who gets let in.

After all there is just so much that a nation can support.

Canada has the same type of issues but on a far smaller level. I hope it stays that way.

Last edited by montreal mike; Feb 21st 2007 at 1:19 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.