British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   is 32k enough to live on in canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/32k-enough-live-canada-822145/)

Lychee Jan 18th 2014 10:15 pm

Re: is 32k enough to live on in canada

Originally Posted by richard gee (Post 11085088)
very good like that one. i am good with units but still got uk head on as thinking of money and is it worth the risk

Money aside, what lifestyle are you seeking in Canada? What do you hope to do with your free time? What's valuable to you in your life?

Novocastrian Jan 18th 2014 10:16 pm

Originally Posted by Lychee (Post 11085127)
Money aside, what lifestyle are you seeking in Canada? What do you hope to do with your free time? What's valuable to you in your life?

.... and heave you ever been to anywhere in Canada, let alone Edmonton, in winter?

richard gee Jan 18th 2014 11:17 pm

thanks for all your replies, looking at all the living in canada sites and cost of living, would seem i'd be a lot better off than the uk at present. and must say standard of living looks a lot better than the uk

haggis88 Jan 18th 2014 11:43 pm

that sounds as if its around $25ish per hour if my sums are correct?

certainly nowhere near journeyman wages, they wouldn't get the LMO if they were paying you that!

Siouxie Jan 18th 2014 11:57 pm

My income was under $30,000 and I managed to live on it without too many restrictions - including having a mortgage etc.

$57,000 as a single person should be sufficient.

:)

joinerboy Jan 19th 2014 12:18 am

Originally Posted by richard gee (Post 11085043)
i have been looking to move to canada as a carpenter and most jobs offer around 32-34k a year, is this a reasonable amount to have a good standard of living.

Hi
Depends on your life style and expenditure but its certainly possible.
Does the position have other benefits such as company contributed pension medical plan etc as these are factors to consider combined with hourly rates.
You could look at it another way how easy is to find a 32-34k (sterling) similar job in UK at the moment.
All the best

Madnellie Jan 19th 2014 7:32 am

Originally Posted by Siouxie (Post 11085237)
My income was under $30,000 and I managed to live on it without too many restrictions - including having a mortgage etc.

$57,000 as a single person should be sufficient.

:)

I was just about to say the same thing. We're managing on less than that too :)

scrubbedexpat091 Jan 19th 2014 8:45 am

I know the wage is not 32,000 but thought I'd chime in anyhow in case someone else see's the post.

Anyhow, on 32,000 a single person won't live a luxury life style but its certainly doable, probably need to share housing, but you can even own a old used car on that wage, and meet your basic needs fine.

But it won't be a luxury lifestyle, so no weekend trips to Whistler to ski unless you save up for it over the year.

I make about 18,000 after taxes and deductions each year, and I always managed to survive on it, had to share housing, but even in Vancouver you can find shared housing in the 400-500 range that includes hydro, cable, internet etc.

What one needs to make to provide the basics, and what one needs to make to live a certain lifestyle are 2 separate issues, but a single person can live in most city's in Canada and meet all their basic needs fine on anything over 30,000 a year, assuming no massive debts.

christmasoompa Jan 19th 2014 9:09 am

Originally Posted by richard gee (Post 11085200)
thanks for all your replies, looking at all the living in canada sites and cost of living, would seem i'd be a lot better off than the uk at present. and must say standard of living looks a lot better than the uk

Cost of living in Canada is roughly the same as in the UK.

Just to add to something said above, you'd need to be earning a minimum of $26 an hour to have a LMO granted, so make sure it is if you're going over on a TWP. Also worth noting is that if you're on a TWP, you can't do 'side jobs' as suggested above, as you can only work for the employer on the TWP.

Sounds like from the above, if you are prepared to flat share and tighten your belt, it can be done - only you know whether that's a better situation than the one you're currently in in the UK, and worth putting up with Edmonton winters for!

Good luck

Jericho79 Jan 19th 2014 12:13 pm

There's little point in making the move if you're going to be scraping by.
As others have mentioned, it should be enough for a single person, but it's not going to be paying for the lifestyle you think you can get.

Cost of living here is at least as expensive, if not more so, than the UK.

beckiwoo Jan 19th 2014 2:44 pm

Originally Posted by christmasoompa (Post 11085542)

Just to add to something said above, you'd need to be earning a minimum of $26 an hour to have a LMO granted

If that just for skilled work like what the OP is doing as that would be impossible with semi-skilled...? Or is the PNP streams different?

christmasoompa Jan 19th 2014 2:50 pm

Originally Posted by beckiwoo (Post 11085888)
If that just for skilled work like what the OP is doing as that would be impossible with semi-skilled...? Or is the PNP streams different?

No, it depends on the job and area, for the LMO the employer must be paying at least the 'median' wage per hour. For a carpenter, in Edmonton, that's $26 ph so anything less and the LMO will be rejected (ideally more to stand the best chance of it being granted, in the 'higher' bracket).

HTH.

Tangram Jan 19th 2014 3:26 pm

In Moncton using coupons and spending your day shopping around for bargains it might be ok.

BristolUK Jan 19th 2014 5:19 pm

Originally Posted by Tangram (Post 11085946)
In Moncton using coupons and spending your day shopping around for bargains it might be ok.

Pathetic and immature.

Tangram Jan 19th 2014 5:23 pm

Originally Posted by BristolUK (Post 11086075)
Pathetic and immature.

I was being serious, cheaper housing, perhaps no or little mortgage, it might be doable if not desirable, in somewhere like TO, Calgary or Vancouver it wouldn't be so.