Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

3 Year work permit and in Ontario for over a year now

3 Year work permit and in Ontario for over a year now

Old Jan 5th 2024, 4:41 am
Forum Regular

FromUKtoBC has a reputation beyond reputeFromUKtoBC has a reputation beyond reputeFromUKtoBC has a reputation beyond reputeFromUKtoBC has a reputation beyond reputeFromUKtoBC has a reputation beyond reputeFromUKtoBC has a reputation beyond reputeFromUKtoBC has a reputation beyond reputeFromUKtoBC has a reputation beyond reputeFromUKtoBC has a reputation beyond reputeFromUKtoBC has a reputation beyond reputeFromUKtoBC has a reputation beyond repute
Default 3 Year work permit and in Ontario for over a year now

A big thank you to all those who helped me with advise and support over the years!
Not sure if I should be starting a new thread or continue from my previous post over a year ago about offer of employment. christmasoompa please guide me here or move post if necessary.

Anyway, I've been living in Ontario for over a year now and the year has truly flown by! Been meaning to update ages ago.
I received a positive LMIA with the job offer from my employer, who paid for the process and I received a 3 year work permit.

The biggest challenge that I experienced after my arrival was with DHL to deliver my belongings from customs. Poor service!

I rented a room initially through family contacts and have just recently moved to my own apartment (I think I saw the ad on kijiji). I only took my books and clothes with me and a few personal effects - so light weight!

Best banking experiences with TD Bank & EQ Bank!
Worst banking experiences - Scotia & BMO!
Banking system is zillions of years behind. etc etc.

Since I've been here, I've made good use of my time/opportunity and volunteered, got a garden plot, joined a choir, church etc. Very reluctantly exchanged (surrendered) my UK driving licence for a Canadian one!
There are lots of opportunities in Canada if people choose to seize or create them.

They've been loads of posts in the past about Canada being different from UK!
YES it is! Bureaucracy and political correctness gone mad!
I find that there's a great level of complacency with Canadian citizens here. They tend to just accept everything and not challenge stuff. Put up with but seething inside!!!
Quality of furniture and clothes is poor!!!! and/or outrageously expensive for what you get.

Other than that, it is home and I'm grateful that I am here. Will be looking into my applying for PR with One Year Canadian work experience.

I would highly encourage anyone who is feeling discouraged in any way about emigrating to Canada, to persevere!! it took 18 years to make my dream a reality! (although part of that time I delayed deliberately until my children had grown up because they didn't want to emigrate with me).

Look at alternatives and be prepared to be flexible in making your dream a reality.

All the very best