British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   3 year plan. Possible? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/3-year-plan-possible-802858/)

george82 Jul 14th 2013 8:17 pm

3 year plan. Possible?

ok so having decided that immigration is the correct move for our family me and my partner have decided the best way is to have a plan. we have spent some time in new york and love the lifestyle over there although we have never been to canada i hear its a similar way of life.
I am a fully qualified plumber and gas engineer but i know i will need to do some trade exams my partner is studying to be a hairdresser and we are waiting for her to complete her course before we move. the reason for the 3 year plan is to get some funds behind us and give us a chance to sell our property i would like to have approx 20k to move with. we will only be brining clothes with us i may export some tools but i may buy new ones depends on the cost of shipping. i have read some of the wiki stuff and its great but i also feel its great to just chat with people from there that have already done it. i have a few questions as we are from scotland we have a lot of rain we would like to go somewhere with little rain and nice weather, also looking for a nice suburb to raise a family my kids are 8 and 5 at the moment but will be 3 years older when we hope to move, whats the schooling like there is there plenty of sports similar to america after school ect. i have my own company which i will be selling before i move, for the people that have already done it would you recommend me coming before my family to get stuff sorted like my exams ect, also would i be better coming on a temporary visa then applying for a skilled worker visa.
as im my own boss here what would the chances be of me starting a company in canada. thanks for any replys

colchar Jul 14th 2013 9:42 pm

Re: 3 year plan. Possible?

I am not sure what the process is now, but my Dad (now retired) qualified as a plumber/pipe fitter/gas fitter in Scotland and he had to take classes when here before sitting his trade papers (you cannot work in the field without passing the exams). I will ask him when I speak to him later on what he had to do and will post it here.

Aviator Jul 14th 2013 9:49 pm

Originally Posted by colchar (Post 10800125)
you cannot work in the field without passing the exams

Not quite right, you can work, but not sign off on work, without the papers one would have to be under the supervision of a ticketed tradesman.

bats Jul 15th 2013 12:20 am

Originally Posted by Aviator (Post 10800132)
Not quite right, you can work, but not sign off on work, without the papers one would have to be under the supervision of a ticketed tradesman.

You can work unsupervised in some provinces.

When you say New York do you mean New York City or New York State?

To qualify as a gas fitter , called technician in Ontario, you would spend most of that 20k on college fees and still have no guarantee of a job.

colchar Jul 15th 2013 1:34 am

Originally Posted by Aviator (Post 10800132)

Good point.

colchar Jul 15th 2013 1:37 am

Originally Posted by bats (Post 10800243)

In what provinces can one work unsupervised while without papers? According to government info you must be licensed in every province.

colchar Jul 15th 2013 1:40 am

Originally Posted by xpertgas (Post 10800038)
ok so having decided that immigration is the correct move for our family me and my partner have decided the best way is to have a plan. we have spent some time in new york and love the lifestyle over there although we have never been to canada i hear its a similar way of life.
I am a fully qualified plumber and gas engineer but i know i will need to do some trade exams my partner is studying to be a hairdresser and we are waiting for her to complete her course before we move. the reason for the 3 year plan is to get some funds behind us and give us a chance to sell our property i would like to have approx 20k to move with. we will only be brining clothes with us i may export some tools but i may buy new ones depends on the cost of shipping. i have read some of the wiki stuff and its great but i also feel its great to just chat with people from there that have already done it. i have a few questions as we are from scotland we have a lot of rain we would like to go somewhere with little rain and nice weather, also looking for a nice suburb to raise a family my kids are 8 and 5 at the moment but will be 3 years older when we hope to move, whats the schooling like there is there plenty of sports similar to america after school ect. i have my own company which i will be selling before i move, for the people that have already done it would you recommend me coming before my family to get stuff sorted like my exams ect, also would i be better coming on a temporary visa then applying for a skilled worker visa.
as im my own boss here what would the chances be of me starting a company in canada. thanks for any replys

Here is some info that might help you:

http://www.ontarioimmigration.ca/en/...LUMBER_CM.html

A few things on that site might sound like they are written for an imbecile but that just seems to be the way a lot of Ontario government websites have been done the last few years. I don't know if the person doing the writing for the website doesn't write particularly well (entirely possible) or if they are trying to keep some things simple for those for whom English is not their first language (a sensible idea).

Plumbing is also a 'Red Seal' trade in Canada. Because education and training are provincial responsibilities in Canada, the Red Seal program seeks to set national standards in certain trades so that those who pass an exam can have the red sal added to their license signifying that they are qualified to work in any province.

Here is some info on that program for you:

http://www.red-seal.ca/[email protected]?tid=181

Aviator Jul 15th 2013 1:51 am

Originally Posted by bats (Post 10800243)

Not where most of the work is though
http://www.hrai.ca/tradelicencecertification.html

bats Jul 15th 2013 2:04 am

Originally Posted by colchar (Post 10800312)
In what provinces can one work unsupervised while without papers? According to government info you must be licensed in every province.

You can work unsupervised but someonne has to check your work and turn the equipment on. They don't have to be there alongside you.

Aviator Jul 15th 2013 4:36 am

Originally Posted by bats (Post 10800332)
You can work unsupervised but someonne has to check your work and turn the equipment on. They don't have to be there alongside you.

That is what 'supervised' means, not the ticketed journeyman looking over your shoulder.

Siouxie Jul 15th 2013 5:19 pm

You might want to look at BC PNP and also the FSW Trades stream http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigra...plications.asp .

http://www.workingincanada.gc.ca/rep...abs_container2

:)

george82 Jul 15th 2013 8:14 pm

wow lot of info guys, gives me something to start researching, 20k sounds like a lot to become a gas technician surely some of my qualifications will transfer over or allow me to just top up and resit exams as the exams here are amongst the hardest in the world my brother is in fairfield ct. ill have a look at these links. would i be able to start my own company or would i need to work for a company

bats Jul 15th 2013 8:51 pm

Originally Posted by xpertgas (Post 10801629)
wow lot of info guys, gives me something to start researching, 20k sounds like a lot to become a gas technician surely some of my qualifications will transfer over or allow me to just top up and resit exams as the exams here are amongst the hardest in the world my brother is in fairfield ct. ill have a look at these links. would i be able to start my own company or would i need to work for a company

Not in Ontario, you will have to apply to TSSA to get your experince recognised and tgey will say if you csn challenge the exam without studying? The problem lies in not being able to access online study ir the books needed.

My husband was a gas fitter in the UK , also steam. The steam people won't accept his RN training and experience as he doesnt have the details of every boiler, furnace etc. The gas authority TSSA would let him challenge the exams to level 2 which is unusual but stuff happened and he went back to college on two intensive courses to sit gas tec 3 and 2, as well as oil burner 2 and 3. He said the course and exams were much more thorough than the UK ones. It's also very rare for anyone to pass the exams without taking a course.

Your company would need to be registered with TSSA as well as yoursrlf.

Cost would be college fees plus your living expenses while studying. You would not be able to get an LMO without a job offer so i think your woukld need to look at the plumbers certification so at least you can work. College fees are more if you are not PR.

Edit. There are practical exams for each level, for gas 2 they are over 2 daysd. If you challenged the exam you would have to arrange this somehow.

bats Jul 15th 2013 8:53 pm

Originally Posted by Aviator (Post 10800398)
That is what 'supervised' means, not the ticketed journeyman looking over your shoulder.

Ah, in my line of work supervised means they have to be in the same work area, not watching but available.

colchar Jul 16th 2013 4:23 am

Originally Posted by bats (Post 10800332)

Yeah, we had discussed that.