Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

3 year plan. Possible?

3 year plan. Possible?

Old Jul 18th 2013, 12:09 pm
Forum Regular

george82 is a glorious beacon of lightgeorge82 is a glorious beacon of lightgeorge82 is a glorious beacon of lightgeorge82 is a glorious beacon of lightgeorge82 is a glorious beacon of lightgeorge82 is a glorious beacon of lightgeorge82 is a glorious beacon of lightgeorge82 is a glorious beacon of lightgeorge82 is a glorious beacon of lightgeorge82 is a glorious beacon of lightgeorge82 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: 3 year plan. Possible?

I think I've made a mess of what I was trying to say in the last post I wouldn't move to England because its still Britain there is still hugh unemployment. I disagree that I pay tax for drunks to get more money and junkies get methadone I like the fact that my kids youth will last longer and have better employment prospects. I'm sorry I have offended anyone but I was more meaning Britain as a whole.
Old Jul 18th 2013, 1:39 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by george82
I think I've made a mess of what I was trying to say in the last post I wouldn't move to England because its still Britain there is still hugh unemployment. I disagree that I pay tax for drunks to get more money and junkies get methadone I like the fact that my kids youth will last longer and have better employment prospects. I'm sorry I have offended anyone but I was more meaning Britain as a whole.
You sound like a perfect candidate for a Scottish wannabe-Ontarian.
Old Jul 18th 2013, 6:59 pm
Banned

Beaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to behold

ah, the old grass is greener effect

- better weather ??? ; the humidity of ontario / the cold of winter
but hey the sky is blue

i've seen more drunks,druggies and jakeys in parts of vancouver and toronto than in Scotland
Old Jul 18th 2013, 8:30 pm
Forum Regular

george82 is a glorious beacon of lightgeorge82 is a glorious beacon of lightgeorge82 is a glorious beacon of lightgeorge82 is a glorious beacon of lightgeorge82 is a glorious beacon of lightgeorge82 is a glorious beacon of lightgeorge82 is a glorious beacon of lightgeorge82 is a glorious beacon of lightgeorge82 is a glorious beacon of lightgeorge82 is a glorious beacon of lightgeorge82 is a glorious beacon of light

You guys haven't been in the east end of glasgow recently. My biggest problem is that there are kids coming out of uni with degrees here fighting for a job stacking shelves in asda. There is no future here for my kids.
Old Jul 18th 2013, 8:32 pm
Forum Regular

This may sound daft but how many ppl say I would love to live in Australia or Canada or the USA don't think I've ever heard the statement oh what I would give to live in glasgow, the knife crime capital of Europe.
Old Jul 18th 2013, 9:33 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

This may sound daft but how many ppl say I would love to live in Australia or Canada or the USA don't think I've ever heard the statement oh what I would give to live in glasgow, the knife crime capital of Europe.
Nobody is saying you shouldn't want to leave Glasgow (just going on this forum and the number of members from Glasgow, it seems to be a popular place to move from!).

But the reasons you're giving for leaving Glasgow all exist in Canada too. You mention knife crime, are you aware that there are more murders per capita in Canada than the UK? And that drugs are a big problem with teenagers in Canada? And that the cost of living is about the same as the UK?

As I said above, Canada is a great country and if you love it, then great. Just don't move for perceived negatives as Canada has crime/tax/unemployment etc too, as pretty much every Westernised country does these days unfortunately. You can also avoid the problems you've mentioned just by moving within the UK.

Out of interest, have you ever visited Canada?
Old Jul 18th 2013, 9:43 pm
Forum Regular

I was over about 20 years ago with my parents. As I said my brother lives in Connecticut New York and I've spent a lot of time there and I love the lifestyle the people the service just everything. I've read that the closest place to there is Toronto as a plumber in the uk I struggle to earn 30k a year I've read many places in Toronto offering 60+ which would allow my family a better quality of life also living a long drive away from my brother would be nice as I've not really seen him in 15years yeah we catch up on FaceTime but its not the same. I just don't feel like Britain has anything to offer where a country that is up and coming so to speak would allow my boys to flourish also my oldest son has a great nak for sports which is not nurtured in this country. I just want my boys to have the best chances in life and I can assure you they are not in Britain. The weather and everything else is a bonus.
Old Jul 18th 2013, 9:57 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

as a plumber in the uk I struggle to earn 30k a year I've read many places in Toronto offering 60+ which would allow my family a better quality of life
$60k a year or £60k a year? The former wouldn't give you much of a life in Toronto for a family of four. And again, you're tarring all of the UK with the same brush - I know you don't want to live in England, but you'd earn a lot more than that if you did.

also living a long drive away from my brother would be nice as I've not really seen him in 15years yeah we catch up on FaceTime but its not the same.
I can understand that. 15 years, wow! Hope you can see him soon.

my oldest son has a great nak for sports which is not nurtured in this country. I just want my boys to have the best chances in life and I can assure you they are not in Britain.
My son is also very sporty, and his ability is nurtured (and for a heck of a lot less than it would cost in Canada!). Again, it must be dependent on area and you're assuming all of the UK is the same.

And we'll have to agree to differ on your last statement, you can't 'assure' me of that as my opinion is different!
Old Jul 18th 2013, 10:13 pm
Banned

Beaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to behold

You guys haven't been in the east end of glasgow recently. My biggest problem is that there are kids coming out of uni with degrees here fighting for a job stacking shelves in asda. There is no future here for my kids.
have you thought of Aberdeenshire ?
Old Jul 18th 2013, 11:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

YoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond repute

I was over about 20 years ago with my parents. As I said my brother lives in Connecticut New York and I've spent a lot of time there and I love the lifestyle the people the service just everything. I've read that the closest place to there is Toronto as a plumber in the uk I struggle to earn 30k a year I've read many places in Toronto offering 60+ which would allow my family a better quality of life also living a long drive away from my brother would be nice as I've not really seen him in 15years yeah we catch up on FaceTime but its not the same. I just don't feel like Britain has anything to offer where a country that is up and coming so to speak would allow my boys to flourish also my oldest son has a great nak for sports which is not nurtured in this country. I just want my boys to have the best chances in life and I can assure you they are not in Britain. The weather and everything else is a bonus.
Things have changed in Canada in the past 20 years, as well! And have you checked the weather in Canada lately? 800 kilometres from Toronto to New York, so a REALLY LONG drive!

Last edited by YoshiPal2010; Jul 18th 2013 at 11:28 pm.
Old Jul 19th 2013, 6:11 am
Forum Regular

I've worked all over the uk Aberdeen Elgin Newcastle Northampton. I'm aware things have changed in Canada since I was there. But how many out there feel that the Canadian government is ripping them off. I mean 1.40 for a litre of fuel of which almost £1 is tax which you pay for after you have been taxed. If people can't see this country is screwed I suggest you open your eyes. I'm aware Aberdeen is thriving thanks to the oil industry as is Canada. I guess agreeing to disagree is the best option. But whatever your son does when he is older I hope he gets employment. May I ask what you do as a job in the uk
Old Jul 19th 2013, 6:45 am
SUPER MODERATOR

There are just different costs in Canada - yes, gas costs less which is great. But when you have to pay a small fortune for car insurance in ON, or full price for a subscription rather than having it heavily subsidised by the NHS, or pay to bank, or pay to receive a mobile phone call, you may feel differently and be complaining about the Canadian government too! Life isn't any cheaper in Canada (some say cost of living is higher).

Everybody that has responded to you has actually lived in both countries and are just trying to help. If you're determined that Canada will give you some kind of tax free, crime free Utopia where unemployment and the recent recession there disappear, then best of luck to you.
Old Jul 19th 2013, 5:02 pm
Forum Regular

hi sorry its not what i think at all, i understand things aint gonna be all sweet and great this is a decision that me and my partner have thought about for a long time it is defineatlt where we wanna go well my partner would love aus for the year round summer but i dont think i could do that. i do appreciate the opinions of others just not ppl that are crapping on my dream when they have not lived where i live. the OP was about weather it was poss to achieve this. i do want to thank everyone that has responded to this post for taking the time to.
Old Jul 19th 2013, 5:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

YoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond repute

Nobody is "crapping on your dream!" What is it you are to trying to find. How willing are you to adapt to the new country. What if you can't find employment in your own trade? Are you willing to change jobs? I came across in 1998, to work in the print industry. I now work as a Building Operator/Facility Manager. Quite a change! One of the full-time cleaners in my building was a physics teacher in China; another was an electrical engineer in Korea. Are you willing to look at this form of employment, at least as an initial start. I have found that the immigrants from Asia and Africa, seem more willing to make sacrifices for the sake of a better life for their kids. Unfortunately, some of the posts on this site seem to indicate that some Brits are not. And on the subject of immigrants, is it the mass-immigration into the UK that is causing you grief? Well, Canada has mass immigration, too, and these days the vast majority of immigrants come places other than the UK and Europe.
Old Jul 19th 2013, 8:11 pm
Forum Regular

i want a better start in life for my kids, thats all i want in terms of work im a plumber to trade which involves plumbing and gas but im willing to do anything to make a better life for my kids if i need to do something different i would and i would give it 110% the immigration into the uk doesnt bother me its the fact that they just let anyone in if i need to jump through all these hurdles to get into a country then i guess its the same for everyone.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.