Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

3 Week visit to Edmonton, Jan 2011 What to look for/at to help decide to immigrate.

3 Week visit to Edmonton, Jan 2011 What to look for/at to help decide to immigrate.

Old Nov 30th 2011, 7:36 pm
Account Closed

jericho is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: 3 Week visit to Edmonton, Jan 2011 What to look for/at to help decide to immigrat

The University of Alberta is in Edmonton, and is very highly regarded.

Ignore comments from detractors that have never lived or even been to Edmonton. The city has a largely undeserved reputation but the only real difference between Edmonton and Calgary is the proximity to the mountains.

In January, it's going to be hellishly cold- it could be anywhere from -20 to -40. That makes getting around a little difficult, as you're gonna want to stay in the car while you're looking around. If it's snowing, it could also seriously hamper your efforts.

I spent 3 years there so if you have any questions, feel free to PM me.

Good luck!
Old Nov 30th 2011, 10:03 pm
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 3 Week visit to Edmonton, Jan 2011 What to look for/at to help decide to immigrat

Joe, having just spent three weeks in Canada, looking at schools, houses etc., please DO bring a little digital recorder. You can see somewhere and make notes to yourself that you won't later forget. It cost me peanuts but saved me a hell of a lot in terms of exploring areas that I could then later call to mind with all my initial thoughts ("grotty area", "great road with a nice park" etc.) Good luck!
Old Dec 1st 2011, 12:16 am
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jcool144
I have been offered a job in Edmonton 3 year twp with a possible 2 year further extension.The job is through my company here in the UK.
There is me my wife and 3 kids 17,14, and 13 they all want to immigrate.
They are paying for me to go to Edmonton for 3 weeks to work there,to see if I like.The trip is fully paid for.
Whilst over there I am will be looking at renting a property, schools, university etc.
What else would can anyone recommend I do/look at whilst out there.
I have to get as much info/knowledge as possible because when I come back to the UK, we have to make a decision whether or not immigrate.
Any advice would be gratefully Appreciated.

Thanks Joe
The point about your kids having to pay foreign student fees is a very good one, and you should check that out.

I'm biased because my husband teaches at one of the city's universities, but I think your kids may be impressed by the facilities here.

Unless money is no object, I'd suggest also checking out the cost of living. We're not poor, but the food prices make me weep.

There is a big problem with knife crime here. That being said, the chances of being experiencing crime is very small, but it might be something to bear in mind if you have a teenage son.
Old Dec 1st 2011, 5:50 pm
Forum Regular

ctraveler is a name known to allctraveler is a name known to allctraveler is a name known to allctraveler is a name known to allctraveler is a name known to allctraveler is a name known to allctraveler is a name known to allctraveler is a name known to allctraveler is a name known to allctraveler is a name known to allctraveler is a name known to all

January is one of the coldest months in Edmonton you won't see as many people out and about as in the warmer months.

Most people send their child to a local school and their are two main educations systems in Edmonton: The public school board and The Catholic School Board. The quality of schools is overall excellent. There are a few private schools for those that are looking for a private education. You are not required to go to a local 'catchment' school. You can send your child to any school you like that has space (contrary to the catchment system of the UK).

The University of Alberta is a very highly regarded University
HTML Code:
http://www.webometrics.info/top100_continent.asp?cont=usa_canada
and many, many young people progress from yr 12 into the UofA. They have some excellent Research programs there. There are also far more opportunities for young people to achieve scholarships and get grants (if you are eligible).

Edmonton is a working class city so don't expect a huge, cafe culture or fashion scene (although you can always find thriving subcultures if you look).

Edmonton is inland and a long way from anything. The mountains are a 3.5hour drive. If you don't like driving long distances or have the money to pay for flights you might feel 'stuck'. Airfares are more expensive than the UK and 'vacation time' from work is less.

Edmonton does have a range of things that can keep you active year-round. The River Valley is a long park system filled with walking and bike trails running through the city. There are also a range of places close to the city where you can go Horse riding and hiking (Elk Island Park). There are also lots of lakes in Alberta and 'going to the cabin at the lake' is a popular Canadian past-time. There are lots of festivals in the summer months. In the winter there is both indoor and outdoor ice-skating, tobogganing and skiing (both x-country and downhill).

The level of crime is often mentioned here and elsewhere (murder capital of Canada). However if you delve into the statistics you will find that these crimes are generally committed within certain multi-cultural groups in the city and does not spill out into the general population, particularly young people. Rather unlike urban centers in the UK where there are very regular attacks on school age children, young mothers walking in the park, the elderly, etc.

Often when people mention neighbourhoods to check out in Edmonton they mention the SW of Edmonton, Sherwood Park of St. Albert. I prefer older established neighbourhoods, I would recommend areas such as: Glenora, Laurier Heights and Parkview.

Edmonton is not for everyone, get out and go for a drink with a local, do a local activity (ice hockey game), check out different neighbourhoods, check out the shops, speak to a local school and take photos for your family to share your information on your return.

Enjoy your time and good luck with your decision
Old Dec 1st 2011, 7:23 pm
Every day's a school day

cheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ctraveler
You are not required to go to a local 'catchment' school. You can send your child to any school you like that has space (contrary to the catchment system of the UK).

The level of crime is often mentioned here and elsewhere (murder capital of Canada Rather unlike urban centers in the UK where there are very regular attacks on school age children, young mothers walking in the park, the elderly, etc.

The first part about schools is not true..you cant send your child to a school outside your catchment area.

The second part...really??? regular attacks on school children, young mums and the elderly..what about the two mums attacked in millwoods in broad daylight last week..and the spate of elderly being attacked in their own homes in the last year...its no better here than a big city in the UK for crime.
Old Dec 1st 2011, 9:11 pm
Forum Regular

ctraveler is a name known to allctraveler is a name known to allctraveler is a name known to allctraveler is a name known to allctraveler is a name known to allctraveler is a name known to allctraveler is a name known to allctraveler is a name known to allctraveler is a name known to allctraveler is a name known to allctraveler is a name known to all

Originally Posted by cheeky_monkey
The first part about schools is not true..you cant send your child to a school outside your catchment area.

Yes it is true...when I lived in Edmonton my child went to a school close to my work rather than my home. My child was not the only one that did not go to a local school. In addtion to this in newer communities there is often not a school within the area. Most of my friends still in Edmonton have children that go to junior high or high schools completely of their choosing. Edmonton public schools has an open boundaries system http://www.epsb.ca/about/mission.shtml this is clearly stated on the Edmonton public school boards website in their mission statement. This was introduced long ago by Angus McBeath former superintendent of schools.

The second part...really??? regular attacks on school children, young mums and the elderly..what about the two mums attacked in millwoods in broad daylight last week..and the spate of elderly being attacked in their own homes in the last year...its no better here than a big city in the UK for crime.
Yes really. Almost everyday there is an extremely violent Youth crime in a large UK urban city (I am currently in London) daily stabbings of teenagers are unfortunately the norm. Things like a policeman being shot in the face (Raoul Moat's Victim), Another police Officer being stabbed in the neck (Ealing), A young mother with a baby in a pram being dragged off a bus by the hair and beaten in the street because of pram rage (no. 83 bus Hendon), Three teenage girls with one holding an 11-month old child shot (North Kensington), 5year old girl and 35year old man shot in a shop (Stockwell) and these go on and on in every urban centre in the UK. This is just a small snapshot of the daily crime. Yes Most UK Urban center's have a much higher population than Edmonton (or most Canadian cities) so because of that population density you would expect more crime. Although it is the types of crimes and who they are committed against that is the biggest difference.

In Edmonton look at the murders they are usually amongst people in the drug or homeless communities. There are very few cases of victims that are youngsters in schools, mother's pushing prams, people walking through parks or police officers doing their jobs. Have a look at the murders that have happened this year in Edmonton.

I will happily walk through any Edmonton neighbourhood day or night on my own. I would not do that in many areas of UK cities possibly in the daytime, certainly not at night.
Old Dec 1st 2011, 9:57 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute

Yes really. Almost everyday there is an extremely violent Youth crime in a large UK urban city (I am currently in London) daily stabbings of teenagers are unfortunately the norm. Things like a policeman being shot in the face (Raoul Moat's Victim), Another police Officer being stabbed in the neck (Ealing), A young mother with a baby in a pram being dragged off a bus by the hair and beaten in the street because of pram rage (no. 83 bus Hendon), Three teenage girls with one holding an 11-month old child shot (North Kensington), 5year old girl and 35year old man shot in a shop (Stockwell) and these go on and on in every urban centre in the UK. This is just a small snapshot of the daily crime. Yes Most UK Urban center's have a much higher population than Edmonton (or most Canadian cities) so because of that population density you would expect more crime. Although it is the types of crimes and who they are committed against that is the biggest difference.

In Edmonton look at the murders they are usually amongst people in the drug or homeless communities. There are very few cases of victims that are youngsters in schools, mother's pushing prams, people walking through parks or police officers doing their jobs. Have a look at the murders that have happened this year in Edmonton.

I will happily walk through any Edmonton neighbourhood day or night on my own. I would not do that in many areas of UK cities possibly in the daytime, certainly not at night.
I don't agree with you Ctraveller. London has ten times the population of Edmonton, but so far this year it has had only 128 homicides, compared with 44 in Edmonton.

The homicide statistic is the easiest to compare. Comparison of other crimes is difficult because there are variations in recording, definitions, reporting rates etc. But, if there is a difference in types of crime between Edmonton and London, then what one can say is that if you are the victim of crime in London, you are much less likely to get killed.

Citing individual crime details doesn't really tell you anything. For every Raol Moat, I could tell you about a man beheaded on a greyhound bus, an elderly couple who disappear from the face of the earth on their way from Edmonton to BC, their new winnebego found burning and abandoned, and so on and so on. You must have a very short memory, if you don't think Canada has its share of bizarre or gruesome crimes.

This year's homicides in Edmonton have included a 7 year old boy and 4 people over 60, one of whom was torched in her old people's home.

What I find most disturbing about the Edmonton statistics are that two of the homicides were by police officers, who shot men who were not themselves armed with a gun. In the UK, that would cause a national outrage and an inquiry. In Edmonton it happens almost without comment. One of them was aged just 17.
Old Dec 1st 2011, 10:23 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

Originally Posted by Editha
I don't agree with you Ctraveller. London has ten times the population of Edmonton, but so far this year it has had only 128 homicides, compared with 44 in Edmonton.

The homicide statistic is the easiest to compare. Comparison of other crimes is difficult because there are variations in recording, definitions, reporting rates etc. But, if there is a difference in types of crime between Edmonton and London, then what one can say is that if you are the victim of crime in London, you are much less likely to get killed.

Citing individual crime details doesn't really tell you anything. For every Raol Moat, I could tell you about a man beheaded on a greyhound bus, an elderly couple who disappear from the face of the earth on their way from Edmonton to BC, their new winnebego found burning and abandoned, and so on and so on. You must have a very short memory, if you don't think Canada has its share of bizarre or gruesome crimes.

This year's homicides in Edmonton have included a 7 year old boy and 4 people over 60, one of whom was torched in her old people's home.

What I find most disturbing about the Edmonton statistics are that two of the homicides were by police officers, who shot men who were not themselves armed with a gun. In the UK, that would cause a national outrage and an inquiry. In Edmonton it happens almost without comment. One of them was aged just 17.
I should also add, that although CTraveller would walk through any part of Edmonton, day or night, on his own, that isn't true of me, or many women I know. Of course, that is also true of some areas of London.
Old Dec 1st 2011, 10:46 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Editha
I should also add, that although CTraveller would walk through any part of Edmonton, day or night, on his own, that isn't true of me, or many women I know. Of course, that is also true of some areas of London.
I am a woman and is true of any woman that I know in Edmonton. I know many as I lived there for many, many years and am working towards moving back...for a quieter life.
Old Dec 1st 2011, 11:03 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

It's a moot point of course, because the chances of anyone actually walking the streets of Edmonton, especially in winter, is pretty small compared to London.

Like all North American cities, its residents are slaves to their cars.
Old Dec 1st 2011, 11:11 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

I am a woman and is true of any woman that I know in Edmonton. I know many as I lived there for many, many years and am working towards moving back...for a quieter life.
I think you fail to understand the difference between the British and the Canadian press. British newspapers give a lot more space to crime, and as a result give the impression that there is more crime than there actually is. Reading about more crime than you read about in the Edmonton Journal, doesn't mean there is actually more crime.

As a Londoner, I'm sorry that you are leaving my home city feeling that you are leaving a dangerous place.
Old Dec 1st 2011, 11:18 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty
It's a moot point of course, because the chances of anyone actually walking the streets of Edmonton, especially in winter, is pretty small compared to London.

Like all North American cities, its residents are slaves to their cars.
Plus, its too bloody cold.
Old Dec 1st 2011, 11:24 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

Originally Posted by Oink
Plus, its too bloody cold.
The last time I walked through the Central McDougall area, in the snow, on my own, a drunk tried to mug me for my boots!
Old Dec 1st 2011, 11:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

snorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond repute

Let me know when you're going to be here and I'll take you on a tour through some of the neighbourhoods, and show you around some houses in the price range you are looking at if you do move here.
Old Dec 2nd 2011, 12:12 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Doesn't living at home rather detract from the quality of one's education?
That depends on the student. Some actually do better academically living at home. Also, with many fearing student debt or feeling the need to obtain graduate degrees, many students are opting for cost cutting measures on the undergrad degree.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.