Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Fredericton/Saint John/Moncton

Fredericton/Saint John/Moncton

Old Jan 20th 2017, 12:27 pm
Forum Regular

AfroGlasgow has a reputation beyond reputeAfroGlasgow has a reputation beyond reputeAfroGlasgow has a reputation beyond reputeAfroGlasgow has a reputation beyond reputeAfroGlasgow has a reputation beyond reputeAfroGlasgow has a reputation beyond reputeAfroGlasgow has a reputation beyond reputeAfroGlasgow has a reputation beyond reputeAfroGlasgow has a reputation beyond reputeAfroGlasgow has a reputation beyond reputeAfroGlasgow has a reputation beyond repute
Default Fredericton/Saint John/Moncton

Hi All,

We (wife, daughter & I) are planning to do a short landing in New Brunswick in May.
But can't decide which of the three cities to land. Mainly because we don't know anyone/never been to NB or where to go.

I noticed there are more fligts to Moncton but prices and flight hours are atrocious.
We have an open mind for any of the three cities.
Any ideas which city is best for:
A) cheap flights for
initial landing.
B) for accountant jobs (am ACCA qualified) and for long term living.
C) cosmopolitan
D) Accommodation during the initial eg Airbnb, hotels or service apartment.

Sorry for the long questions.

Many Thanks in advance.
Old Jan 20th 2017, 12:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fredericton/Saint John/Moncton

I may get blasted by some of the NB posters here but when I think of NB, cosmopolitan is not something that comes to mind.

I have relatives in Moncton and rural NB (near the border with Maine) on my wife's side and have been 5 + times and never did I get a sense that it was a cosmopolitan place. If that is what you want you're limited to the GTA, Montreal or maybe Vancouver.

Originally Posted by AfroGlasgow
Hi All,

We (wife, daughter & I) are planning to do a short landing in New Brunswick in May.
But can't decide which of the three cities to land. Mainly because we don't know anyone/never been to NB or where to go.

I noticed there are more fligts to Moncton but prices and flight hours are atrocious.
We have an open mind for any of the three cities.
Any ideas which city is best for:
A) cheap flights for
initial landing.
B) for accountant jobs (am ACCA qualified) and for long term living.
C) cosmopolitan
D) Accommodation during the initial eg Airbnb, hotels or service apartment.

Sorry for the long questions.

Many Thanks in advance.
Old Jan 20th 2017, 1:34 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

I'd just go with wherever you can find the cheapest flight at a reasonable time - the city you can find the cheapest flights for might not be the one with the best job opportunities etc, but that doesn't matter. Are you landing and staying, or returning to the UK to tie up loose ends after landing?

Edited: to add - I agree with the others, from what you've said provinces other than NB might suit you better.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Jan 20th 2017 at 1:54 pm.
Old Jan 20th 2017, 1:46 pm
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute

Depends what you consider "cosmopolitan". I wouldnt say NB springs to mind at all in that sense.
Why NB out of interest? ( nice province just not sure it has what you are looking for)

Moncton has a very nice Marriot Residential, from a hotel perspective. Its in downtown Moncton (downtown is little). I cant comment on the other NB places you have identified

Last edited by Howefamily; Jan 20th 2017 at 1:48 pm. Reason: hotel info
Old Jan 20th 2017, 1:57 pm
Forum Regular

AfroGlasgow has a reputation beyond reputeAfroGlasgow has a reputation beyond reputeAfroGlasgow has a reputation beyond reputeAfroGlasgow has a reputation beyond reputeAfroGlasgow has a reputation beyond reputeAfroGlasgow has a reputation beyond reputeAfroGlasgow has a reputation beyond reputeAfroGlasgow has a reputation beyond reputeAfroGlasgow has a reputation beyond reputeAfroGlasgow has a reputation beyond reputeAfroGlasgow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
I'd just go with wherever you can find the cheapest flight at a reasonable time - the city you can find the cheapest flights for might not be the one with the best job opportunities etc, but that doesn't matter. Are you landing and staying, or returning to the UK to tie up loose ends after landing?

Edited: to add - I agree with the others, from what you've said provinces other than NB might suit you better.
I am looking to land first and return back to UK to tied up loose ends.
Old Jan 20th 2017, 1:58 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Howefamily
Depends what you consider "cosmopolitan". I wouldnt say NB springs to mind at all in that sense.
Why NB out of interest? ( nice province just not sure it has what you are looking for)

Moncton has a very nice Marriot Residential, from a hotel perspective. Its in downtown Moncton (downtown is little). I cant comment on the other NB places you have identified
We have got PR through provincial nominee programme.
Old Jan 20th 2017, 2:15 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

I am looking to land first and return back to UK to tied up loose ends.
If you are talking about "Landing" and activating your PR, then I don't think you can land at any of those cities as they don't have direct international flights. If you flew via Halifax or Toronto, which is a likely route, you'd "land" at the first point of entry into Canada.
Old Jan 20th 2017, 2:28 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
If you are talking about "Landing" and activating your PR, then I don't think you can land at any of those cities as they don't have direct international flights. If you flew via Halifax or Toronto, which is a likely route, you'd "land" at the first point of entry into Canada.
Thanks! Halifax sounds like a good proposition for initial landing to activate our PRs.However because we are provincial nominees we are expected to have tickets showing NB as our final destination.
Old Jan 20th 2017, 2:35 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks! Halifax sounds like a good proposition for initial landing to activate our PRs.However because we are provincial nominees we are expected to have tickets showing NB as our final destination.
Got it.

You say flights are expensive to Moncton - are you looking at flights with a start point in UK (e.g. LHR) and an end point in Moncton or flights from Halifax to Moncton as seperate from your LHR-Halifax? The former is likely to be much cheaper than the latter. Other alternative is to fly to Halifax and pick up a rental car and drive from there. It's a 4 hour drive or so to Moncton from my memory and of course you don't have to do it straightaway if you don't want to after the flight from London.
Old Jan 20th 2017, 3:02 pm
Forum Regular

Got it.

You say flights are expensive to Moncton - are you looking at flights with a start point in UK (e.g. LHR) and an end point in Moncton or flights from Halifax to Moncton as seperate from your LHR-Halifax? The former is likely to be much cheaper than the latter. Other alternative is to fly to Halifax and pick up a rental car and drive from there. It's a 4 hour drive or so to Moncton from my memory and of course you don't have to do it straightaway if you don't want to after the flight from London.
I was only looking at flights straight from UK to Moncton. Thanks for the Halifax suggestion.
Old Jan 20th 2017, 3:06 pm
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

I was only looking at flights straight from UK to Moncton. Thanks for the Halifax suggestion.
There are direct flights from the UK to Moncton?
Old Jan 20th 2017, 3:31 pm
Bon Vivant

Simon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond repute

There are no direct flights from UK to Moncton.
Old Jan 20th 2017, 4:42 pm
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute

You can fly from UK to Halifax and then fly Halifax to Moncton, or drive it as already suggested. Its about 3 hours drive on a good day :-)
Old Jan 20th 2017, 6:04 pm
Slightly Canadian

Originally Posted by Souvy
There are direct flights from the UK to Moncton?
No ... but you can buy a ticket via somewhere to Moncton and that's likely to be cheaper than a ticket London to Halifax and then a separate ticket from Halifax to moncton. That was my point to the OP. I'd drive it if it were me.
Old Jan 20th 2017, 6:40 pm
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

No ... but you can buy a ticket via somewhere to Moncton and that's likely to be cheaper than a ticket London to Halifax and then a separate ticket from Halifax to moncton. That was my point to the OP. I'd drive it if it were me.
It would probably be cheaper and quicker to drive from Halifax to Moncton anyway. Well under three hours and it's not as if one can get lost...........

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.