Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

3 months here but struggling.

3 months here but struggling.

Old Mar 4th 2011, 3:47 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 3 months here but struggling.

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
So the moral of the story is: Don't do research, take friends and family at their word, lose lots of money in the process, have an uncertain future, but pity those that stayed where they are as you may be happier than them in the long term
I wonder how much happier people would be in the UK if they put as much effort into life and/or change than they do when they emigrate.

Years of uncertainty, hardship, job hunting, moving, stress, and upset just don't seem worth it to me. But i'm lazy.

Last edited by el_richo; Mar 4th 2011 at 3:53 pm.
Old Mar 4th 2011, 5:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by el_richo
I wonder how much happier people would be in the UK if they put as much effort into life and/or change than they do when they emigrate.

Years of uncertainty, hardship, job hunting, moving, stress, and upset just don't seem worth it to me. But i'm lazy.
I certainly agree with the comment about the UK

I am minded to agree with the bit about you being lazy as well but, other than your posts on here, I don't really have much evidence to support such a position
Old Mar 4th 2011, 7:46 pm
Forum Regular

Guinness is an unknown quantity at this point

Not aimed at your situation, but that of Holstein.

When we came over, my wife really struggled for the first year or so. She hated the whole situation. By about the two year anniversary, she began to see the light and now she is fully settled here. I agree that it can take some time to adjust but I don't agree that life in Canada is always better than life in the UK.
I agree with you there almost canadian, it takes at least 2 years before things start to look better. I came to Canada when i was 25 and I pretty much cried everyday for a year!!
i have now lived in TO for nearly 20 years and it is now time to move back to the UK. Canada is a great country but I would not say that it is better than the UK, again it all depends on what you are looking for. As you get older you change and your priorities change with it.
Old Mar 4th 2011, 7:57 pm
Forum Regular

Boris-canadabound has a reputation beyond reputeBoris-canadabound has a reputation beyond reputeBoris-canadabound has a reputation beyond reputeBoris-canadabound has a reputation beyond reputeBoris-canadabound has a reputation beyond reputeBoris-canadabound has a reputation beyond reputeBoris-canadabound has a reputation beyond reputeBoris-canadabound has a reputation beyond reputeBoris-canadabound has a reputation beyond reputeBoris-canadabound has a reputation beyond reputeBoris-canadabound has a reputation beyond repute

Congrats on the job. Just to say that I know how you feel, although it is just me and my husband here and we came because he was offered a job. He travels a lot so I have been on my own most of the time, in an apartment where I don't seem to meet anyone much. I miss not being able to meet up with friends sometimes. I have been fortunate enough to find a part time shop job, which is not what I really wanted and not what I am qualified to do, but it isn't easy to find a job here. In addition I have a bit of emotional blackmail from an elderly parent we had to leave behind (but who is well and living in a retirement flat with activities and people checking on him).
I was also disappointed to find that despite all the space, many houses are built practically on top of each other with hardly any garden and those that do have gardens are usually small, not fenced in, and overlooked.

However, it has only been four months and I feel that it is not long enough - I am certainly not going to allow myself to become despondent yet. I intend to keep plugging away at finding a 'proper' job, think about moving to a housewhich will make it easier for my father to visit, and generally try to stay positive. We haven't really made the most of the winter activities but I am looking forward to the arrival of spring.

Good luck and hope you feel more settled soon.
Old Mar 4th 2011, 10:28 pm
Forum Regular

The Davenports is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks everyone, trying to be strong and positive. x
Old Mar 4th 2011, 10:51 pm
Forum Regular

canbritdenise is a splendid one to beholdcanbritdenise is a splendid one to beholdcanbritdenise is a splendid one to beholdcanbritdenise is a splendid one to beholdcanbritdenise is a splendid one to beholdcanbritdenise is a splendid one to beholdcanbritdenise is a splendid one to beholdcanbritdenise is a splendid one to beholdcanbritdenise is a splendid one to beholdcanbritdenise is a splendid one to beholdcanbritdenise is a splendid one to behold

Moving to Canada. We take so long to make this happen, years of our lives in England making this happen, stress, working it all out. We wait for the day when we can land and start out new life.
Then we arrive and the stress continues, no fully finished basement with toys, no outside, in-ground pool,sometimes no job, kids hate it, the weather is sh.......t, and England doesn't seem so bad after all. Why cant we give ourselves a break and just sit back and look at what we have achieved. Many people say they want to immigrate, but don't, we have. Pat yourselves on the back, take deep breaths, cup of tea, and enjoy. If not, England will always be there, and at least you can say you tried it.
Goodluck Davenport family, im only down the road for a cup of tea, if ya need it.
Old Mar 4th 2011, 11:23 pm
Forum Regular

The Davenports is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by canbritdenise
Moving to Canada. We take so long to make this happen, years of our lives in England making this happen, stress, working it all out. We wait for the day when we can land and start out new life.
Then we arrive and the stress continues, no fully finished basement with toys, no outside, in-ground pool,sometimes no job, kids hate it, the weather is sh.......t, and England doesn't seem so bad after all. Why cant we give ourselves a break and just sit back and look at what we have achieved. Many people say they want to immigrate, but don't, we have. Pat yourselves on the back, take deep breaths, cup of tea, and enjoy. If not, England will always be there, and at least you can say you tried it.
Goodluck Davenport family, im only down the road for a cup of tea, if ya need it.
Thanks for that post, so true. I have met up with some english ladies here in Lasalle this week and they are taking me under their wing. Karen and Monique came to visit on Monday and we had lunch out and we've been chatting alot since so I know I'm not alone.
hopefully things will look up only time will tell.
Old Mar 5th 2011, 12:57 am
BE Enthusiast

Monique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by The Davenports
Thanks for that post, so true. I have met up with some english ladies here in Lasalle this week and they are taking me under their wing. Karen and Monique came to visit on Monday and we had lunch out and we've been chatting alot since so I know I'm not alone.
hopefully things will look up only time will tell.
this Monique chick sounds asssssome wish I had met her when I came

Last edited by Monique_in_Canada; Mar 5th 2011 at 1:00 am.
Old Mar 5th 2011, 1:56 am
G77
BE Forum Addict

G77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond repute

Not been on here for a while, sorry to hear you're finding it hard.

To be honest, moving to Canada in winter, even this relatively tropical part, quite frankly sucks. Just wait till next month, everything will seem better - spring/summer/autumn here is spectacular. Everyone gets cabin fever from time to time in winter - have been there and got the t-shirt!

Drop me a pm if you want to meet up, we're only 5 mins away!
Old Mar 5th 2011, 2:17 pm
S_B
Just Joined

S_B is an unknown quantity at this point

We hit our 3 month anniversary yesterday but I am having a real hard time today.
We haven't secured jobs yet and my husband passed his HGV test here on Friday so is out today looking for jobs.
I have volunteered at my sons school in the library a couple of times a week and also with a reading group once a week so this gets me out.
I just seem to be really struggling today and keep crying and thinking that I really want to go back. I know I haven't given it long enough but I can't seem to shake off this feeling that's been brewing for the past few days.
My daughter is 15 and I know she isn't happy, she's made friends and has been to the cinema and mall a few times with them but I know she's not happy. She left her chat open on face book when she was talking to her cousin and it said she was misserable, I feel awful for her as she didn't want to come in the first place.
I just need to get this out as I don't want to show it in front of the kids, my husband knows I'm struggling but he tells me we will be ok but I can't see light at the end of the tunnel.
Thanks for listening.
Hi,
Hope you are feeling better today

I haven't got much advice i'm afraid but i just wanted to say that i moved around a lot due to my Dad's work when i was younger, although granted it wasn't to a different country, but never the less, the friends i moved away from might as well have been half way around the world as we lost contact after so long!

Basically what my point is is that i can still remember when i was around 15 and had to leave all my friends behind (i'm now 23), i was absolutely gutted at the time so much so my dad actually cried and said how sorry he was (which even to this day still breaks my heart to think about it now! the silly bugger, he was moving jobs & i know it was for the best but at the time seemed like the worst thing in the world at that age! ) BUT once i had settled in with my new friends, and had lost contact with those who couldnt be bothered wiht you anymore as they move on too, i soon realised it wasn't that bad; I guess i just wanted to share with you that even though she may be feeling a little lost with the move she'll soon start to feel better about it all Try not to be worry too much or feel too bad about it as it wont help you either- it won't last too long and she'll soon be rockin around with other friends

Don't know if that was much help or not but just wanted to share! All the best, Steff x
Old Mar 5th 2011, 9:26 pm
Just Joined

holstein is on a distinguished road

So the moral of the story is: Don't do research, take friends and family at their word, lose lots of money in the process, have an uncertain future, but pity those that stayed where they are as you may be happier than them in the long term
....Just telling my story, and take from it what you will. I may have made some bad decisions and some stuff didn't go according to plan, but i'm in a better place in life than I was at home.

I still love my home land and didn't leave because I hate Scotland, I came for the opportunity, and i'm going to stick it out and give it a chance, that is all.

I have done more research than most believe or not, but thats for another day!
Old Mar 6th 2011, 3:21 am
BE Enthusiast

Hollis Family has much to be proud ofHollis Family has much to be proud ofHollis Family has much to be proud ofHollis Family has much to be proud ofHollis Family has much to be proud ofHollis Family has much to be proud ofHollis Family has much to be proud ofHollis Family has much to be proud ofHollis Family has much to be proud ofHollis Family has much to be proud ofHollis Family has much to be proud of

We hit our 3 month anniversary yesterday but I am having a real hard time today.
We haven't secured jobs yet and my husband passed his HGV test here on Friday so is out today looking for jobs.
I have volunteered at my sons school in the library a couple of times a week and also with a reading group once a week so this gets me out.
I just seem to be really struggling today and keep crying and thinking that I really want to go back. I know I haven't given it long enough but I can't seem to shake off this feeling that's been brewing for the past few days.
My daughter is 15 and I know she isn't happy, she's made friends and has been to the cinema and mall a few times with them but I know she's not happy. She left her chat open on face book when she was talking to her cousin and it said she was misserable, I feel awful for her as she didn't want to come in the first place.
I just need to get this out as I don't want to show it in front of the kids, my husband knows I'm struggling but he tells me we will be ok but I can't see light at the end of the tunnel.
Thanks for listening.
We moved with a 15 year old and a 12 year old. Almost 2 years on we can't believe how settled both the boys are (now grade 9 and 12)! We visited the UK in Nov for the first time since moving which I thought would unsettle them but it had the opposite effect. Both boys say they loved seeing their friends but they prefer life in Canada! Hang in there - its early days!
Old Mar 8th 2011, 11:31 pm
Forum Regular

xxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nice

We hit our 3 month anniversary yesterday but I am having a real hard time today. Thanks for listening.
It's really really hard to leave the big social network you have back home behind and that's probably a lot of why you're feeling so sad, not having as many close friends to talk to.

It can get remarkably lonely out here. Unfortunately it can be hard to make friends in Canada because they do things differently. Friends generally don't just drop by, it seems to be considered rude (!) so you will often only see your "friends" every few weeks.

It's also hard if you're having to count the pennies.

I personally reckon (having gone both ways - back home twice and back here twice) that it takes a full year to find a full social network.

My wife lived on facebook for a full year and would cry every day. My kids were depressed. Now two years later more or less we're settled in but our social network is much smaller than back home, you just have to fill your time up with activities instead.

Good luck and hang in there.

My 2p/2c.
Old Mar 8th 2011, 11:33 pm
Forum Regular

xxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nice

Originally Posted by triumphguy
Moving to Canada is a bit like having surgery.
Once the drugs wear off, the pain sets in, until you heal.
LOL this is so true.
Old Mar 8th 2011, 11:39 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Dave+Jules
NB has more snow than Calgary but doesnt get the days of frigid windchills like Prairie provinces.
But NB doesn't get Chinooks either.

If you look only at the lows you get the (mistaken) idea that we're living in the arctic.

If a Chinook blows in it can go from -30C to +10C and stay there all week.

Yes it gets cold out here but you just need to dress for it and also you get a break!

I remember when I lived in Toronto it seemed to me that it was -10C to -15C straight with no breaks from november to may when it miraculously changed into summer. And -15C in Toronto is colder than -15C here because it's dry.

I prefer a Calgary winter 10X over a Toronto winter because of the Chinooks.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.