British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   2nd hand value list for customs (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/2nd-hand-value-list-customs-937948/)

eversmannx Apr 2nd 2021 9:12 pm

2nd hand value list for customs

Hey guys,
I've read the wiki pages and looking for some advice before I decide on how to put down the value.

I prepared a detailed goods to follow list, but they didn't check this at all at entry - the officer mentioned something to do with us coming here on work permit, and it's only required if permanent or something of that sort...
I used the same list for insurance, but the valuation is for "replacing items with new" rather than used valuation.
Now after a long delay due to COVID and such, my goods are on the way and the partner company here in Canada have told me to prepare a 2nd hand valuation list for customs. Is there some sort of guidance on how to decide "2nd hand value" - just generally, I was thinking of putting 60-70% of the value I've put down for insurance and convert to CAD. But I don't wanna end up paying anything for customs because I've declared a higher value of some items... I had a bad experience in the past when I shipped a used laptop to a different country, and had put down a decent amount as value - it was barely worth the trouble... but ended up paying a good 75 quid to clear customs... only because I had put down a bigger valuation.

Any advice on this?

Many Thanks

Mila P Apr 6th 2021 7:12 am

Re: 2nd hand value list for customs

When we moved items/furniture back into Canada from our winter home in the US, we listed every item in the van individually. They varied between 20% of new price/replacement up to 40% of new. Our guestimate prices were based on age and our thoughts on what one might expect if sold to friends/or what we would be willing to pay for the item of that age/condition. All values were accepted by the customs folks as being fair.
Hope this helps a little,
Regards

Siouxie Apr 6th 2021 4:26 pm

Originally Posted by eversmannx (Post 12990714)
Hey guys,
I've read the wiki pages and looking for some advice before I decide on how to put down the value.

I prepared a detailed goods to follow list, but they didn't check this at all at entry - the officer mentioned something to do with us coming here on work permit, and it's only required if permanent or something of that sort...
I used the same list for insurance, but the valuation is for "replacing items with new" rather than used valuation.
Now after a long delay due to COVID and such, my goods are on the way and the partner company here in Canada have told me to prepare a 2nd hand valuation list for customs. Is there some sort of guidance on how to decide "2nd hand value" - just generally, I was thinking of putting 60-70% of the value I've put down for insurance and convert to CAD. But I don't wanna end up paying anything for customs because I've declared a higher value of some items... I had a bad experience in the past when I shipped a used laptop to a different country, and had put down a decent amount as value - it was barely worth the trouble... but ended up paying a good 75 quid to clear customs... only because I had put down a bigger valuation.

Any advice on this?

Many Thanks

You should still prepare a goods to follow list and try to get it stamped.. you may be considered a settler and not have to pay any excise duty or taxes (you can show your PR application confirmation / work permit / contract etc) - unless you can get it stamped, you may still have to pay. :(

These parts of the regulations should apply: https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publicat...2-2-1-eng.html

Who are Considered Settlers?

1. For the purpose of tariff item No. 9807.00.00 of the Schedule to the Customs Tariff, settlers mean all individuals who enter Canada with the intention of establishing for the first time a residence for a period of not less than 12 months

4. Persons, who are temporary residents of Canada for the purpose of tariff classification of goods, that are granted permanent resident status under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act (IRPA) from a Citizenship and Immigration Canada Inland Office, after their arrival in Canada, are settlers. For these individuals, only those goods which were owned, used and possessed by those persons, prior to the date of application for permanent resident status will be classified under tariff item No. 9807.00.00.
Find your nearest CBSA Office and take the form there.... see this thread for info: https://britishexpats.com/forum/immi...anding-880474/

When considering value, think what you would sell it for or better still what you would be prepared to buy it for 2nd hand... from a 2nd hand store or through an ad. You may have to attend the CBSA offices anyway to clear your goods through customs (from the bonded warehouse)..
Hope that's of use :)

eversmannx Apr 16th 2021 7:42 pm

Mila P Siouxie Thank you very much guys.