Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

24 Year old thinking of moving to canada

24 Year old thinking of moving to canada

Old Feb 13th 2008, 11:27 pm
Islander

windward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to all
Default Re: 24 Year old thinking of moving to canada

I'm 23 and very much looking forward to finally making a permanent leap over there. Age has very little to do with it imo though a lot of people will quote their kids as being the main reason they want to leave the UK. They definitely seem to have a better upbringing over in Canada.

As for leaving football behind; barring the fact that in a lot of places you're going to struggle December to February playing footie on a field covered with snow, I wouldn't say you're going to be lacking. The gf's apartment in Toronto is randomly, unintentionally, but quite literally, 1 minutes walk away from a park with a full-size pitch and goalposts left up all year round. GET IN!

It isn't a national pastime so you aren't going to see every premier league match on your satellite, but this forum's the best place to find out exactly how you can get your fix. Plenty of people do.

You're in the right trade to make the move. Do some research and get going!
Old Feb 13th 2008, 11:45 pm
especially the mint one

club_biscuit is just really niceclub_biscuit is just really niceclub_biscuit is just really niceclub_biscuit is just really niceclub_biscuit is just really niceclub_biscuit is just really niceclub_biscuit is just really niceclub_biscuit is just really nice

definitely visit and travel around. BC gets a lot of hype - there's good reason for some of it but it has its share of problems too. there are lots of places in canada with great outdoor options and less rain (!) take your time and look around and make your own decisions.
Old Feb 14th 2008, 7:08 am
BE Forum Addict

live to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond repute

We were 25 when we moved out to Vancouver. Summer and winter are just jammed packed. October ok if the sailing season goes on, and November is a bit quiet unless the ski season starts early. Spring is ok as there is an overlap between ski and sailing seasons.

last year we went to Mexico for November!

There is the most amazing scuba diving off Vancouver Island. Check out the articifical reef society of BC - they've sunk loads of cool stuff! Lots of sailing, kayaking, dragon boat racing, mountain biking, hiking, camping......to name a few of the things that I fill my time with between work!

And don't get me started on skiing....I still love the fact that I leave my desk at 5.45 and can be skiing by 6.30pm. A hell of a better way to spend an evening as opposed to watching Eastenders.
Old Feb 14th 2008, 7:52 am
BE Enthusiast

Winston Green is just really niceWinston Green is just really niceWinston Green is just really niceWinston Green is just really niceWinston Green is just really niceWinston Green is just really niceWinston Green is just really niceWinston Green is just really niceWinston Green is just really niceWinston Green is just really niceWinston Green is just really nice
Smile Re: 24 Year old thinking of moving to canada

Originally Posted by Granville4
hi Everyone

I would like some info and advice. I am thinking of moving to Canada, I am a 24 year old man with no commitments and 5 years experience as a plumber and 3 years experience as a gas engineer. I am tired of the UK for same reasons as most people, I am never going to be able to afford my own house no matter what size with out needing my parents to give me money, Working all the hours I can for the tax man to take most of it. It doesn't help that I work in London and have to sit in an hour and a half’s worth of traffic for a 20 min drive. I am activate person with soccer, snowboarding, gym, scuba diving and much more. As long as it has the best of all the seasons the weather does not bother me. so what I would like to know is,
[*]Would it suit my age range[*]where would be the best place to go[*]Would I ever be able to afford a place over there on plumbers wages[*]Is traffic any different [*]Is average working hours any different [*]The main thing that people miss from the UK

Any advice is welcome
thank you
Granville
There is an immigration show on at Sandown Race course the first weekend in Mar08. Go there and you will get a good idea of the provinces in canada, the routes available to immigrate to canada, people offering work to plumbers in Canada and thousands of like mined individuals trying to get out of the UK. Go early as there is always a traffic jam to get in, Just shows how many are trying to get out.

You can then decide where to visit for a holiday and settle. Bewarned once you have been to Canada the UK will never be the same again. Grasp the nettle and go for it, you are only young once. Taxes are higher at source but you won't feel like a pelican, ie everytime you open your eyes you are looking at a big bill!!!!

If Carlsburgh made contries, they would have made Canada and there is no probably about it.

Winston

Last edited by Winston Green; Feb 14th 2008 at 7:55 am.
Old Feb 14th 2008, 1:24 pm
Dorfus wafflebutt

littletwinkle46 is just really nicelittletwinkle46 is just really nicelittletwinkle46 is just really nicelittletwinkle46 is just really nicelittletwinkle46 is just really nicelittletwinkle46 is just really nicelittletwinkle46 is just really nicelittletwinkle46 is just really nicelittletwinkle46 is just really nice

what has made you move out there and where abouts are you going
I have a lot of family in the Toronto/GTA area, but thats only a benefit to me, my main reason is the love of the country and as many other people will know the "pull" of the country. As long as i can remember ive wanted to live in canada and my many visits there have merely underlined that.

Of course now im older, (compared to when i used to tell my mum when i was ten im emigrating :0 ) i now see the benefits in terms of housing, leisure activities and general way of life.

The summers in Toronto can get nice and hot, ive been able to get a tan well into sept most years!

Let us know what you decide and get researching!
btw Bunac is a first come first served approach and opened in dec 07 so you need to apply quick or you'll have to wait till feb 09 to get out there at the earliest.

Karen
Old Feb 14th 2008, 1:45 pm
Forum Regular

ojmurphy is just really niceojmurphy is just really niceojmurphy is just really niceojmurphy is just really niceojmurphy is just really niceojmurphy is just really niceojmurphy is just really niceojmurphy is just really nice

Hey!

I am 23, and I've been living in Canada for 2 years! It's crazy to think, but it's easy enough not to look back. The primary thing I miss is family and friends. It's pretty obvious I suppose, but I really enjoy my two+ week trip home and their annual trips to see me. Aside from that, you can find almost everything you want and need here. If you're worried about football, don't! $15/month = Happiness thanks to Setanta. I can see more games here than I could at home (even my beloved Middlesbrough in full on tape delay - it's not hard to avoid the scores ;-)), and I can play indoor all winter.

Vancouver sounds like it might be ideal. I sometimes wish I was in a bigger centre where there is more to do for younger people! Small town Canada is very homely, but also pretty isolated due to the geography. The climate is also the most 'British' of anywhere in Canada.

I strongly recommend Bunac to get your feet wet with the Canadian experience. Easy enough to get the clearance and get started on experiencing the country and all it has to offer, plus no real long-term commitment. No matter how many people have positive experiences, there are always negatives and the benefit of that programme is you can see how it affects you. I came over in exactly the same way, and it's amazing the doors it can open up. As people on this board have found, it can be tricky (not impossible, just tricky) to get started on finding a job from England... being in Canada will remove that hurdle. It really is an ideal opportunity.

Good luck!
Old Feb 14th 2008, 1:51 pm
Forum Regular

welshmountie is just really nicewelshmountie is just really nicewelshmountie is just really nicewelshmountie is just really nicewelshmountie is just really nicewelshmountie is just really nicewelshmountie is just really nicewelshmountie is just really nicewelshmountie is just really nicewelshmountie is just really nice

thanks for the info but it seems like the best thing to do is go on a one years work visa.

No one in the forum ever seems to talk about canadian summer every one only goings on about the rain and snow i dont mind that but i would like a summer so info on that would be good
Much better summers even in the wetter maritimes and west coast regions. South Western Ontario can only be described as hot and humid..... A complete contrast to their winters.

You get a proper 4 seasons in most parts of Canada unlike the UK. Hope this helps.
Old Feb 14th 2008, 2:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

rwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by windward
It isn't a national pastime so you aren't going to see every premier league match on your satellite
Not a national pastime but more people play football than hockey. You may not see it on TV but there is opportunity to get involved.
Old Feb 14th 2008, 3:08 pm
Swollen Member

geo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond repute

It isn't a national pastime so you aren't going to see every premier league match on your satellite,
ummm, I haven't missed an Arsenal game this season so what you say is a bit misleading.

Granted the crappy teams like Derby and Tottenham games are not shown.
Old Feb 14th 2008, 3:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

Winston Green is just really niceWinston Green is just really niceWinston Green is just really niceWinston Green is just really niceWinston Green is just really niceWinston Green is just really niceWinston Green is just really niceWinston Green is just really niceWinston Green is just really niceWinston Green is just really niceWinston Green is just really nice

I believe we were talking about ENGLISH football. Not that bunch of Jonny Foreigners masquerading in the premiership as an English team.
Old Feb 14th 2008, 6:14 pm
Forum Regular

Canadian Citizen has a brilliant futureCanadian Citizen has a brilliant futureCanadian Citizen has a brilliant futureCanadian Citizen has a brilliant futureCanadian Citizen has a brilliant futureCanadian Citizen has a brilliant futureCanadian Citizen has a brilliant future

To the original poster......

You can't simply turn up in Canada and expect to start work as a plumber the next day.

You have to PASS a day long written exam, and a practical test, to be qualified. The apprenticeship here in Canada for a plumber is 5 years. The same testing requirements apply for most other trades such as welders, carpenters, brick layers and the like. Each Province has it's own standards and testing procedures.

Jim Bunting. Toronto.
Old Feb 14th 2008, 8:04 pm
Just Joined

Granville4 is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm 23 and very much looking forward to finally making a permanent leap over there. Age has very little to do with it imo though a lot of people will quote their kids as being the main reason they want to leave the UK. They definitely seem to have a better upbringing over in Canada.

As for leaving football behind; barring the fact that in a lot of places you're going to struggle December to February playing footie on a field covered with snow, I wouldn't say you're going to be lacking. The gf's apartment in Toronto is randomly, unintentionally, but quite literally, 1 minutes walk away from a park with a full-size pitch and goalposts left up all year round. GET IN!

It isn't a national pastime so you aren't going to see every premier league match on your satellite, but this forum's the best place to find out exactly how you can get your fix. Plenty of people do.

You're in the right trade to make the move. Do some research and get going!
stupid question but do you know what opportunities there are to play competitve football, and thats a bit of luck you have a gf over there first of all and then that there is a football pitch there as well thats livin.
Old Feb 14th 2008, 8:05 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by live to ski
We were 25 when we moved out to Vancouver. Summer and winter are just jammed packed. October ok if the sailing season goes on, and November is a bit quiet unless the ski season starts early. Spring is ok as there is an overlap between ski and sailing seasons.

last year we went to Mexico for November!

There is the most amazing scuba diving off Vancouver Island. Check out the articifical reef society of BC - they've sunk loads of cool stuff! Lots of sailing, kayaking, dragon boat racing, mountain biking, hiking, camping......to name a few of the things that I fill my time with between work!

And don't get me started on skiing....I still love the fact that I leave my desk at 5.45 and can be skiing by 6.30pm. A hell of a better way to spend an evening as opposed to watching Eastenders.
What time is it light till if you dont hit the slops till 6.30
Old Feb 14th 2008, 8:07 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by geo4
ummm, I haven't missed an Arsenal game this season so what you say is a bit misleading.

Granted the crappy teams like Derby and Tottenham games are not shown.
i am just replying cause i am an arsenal fans as well and don't know what i would do if i could'nt watch them any more
Old Feb 14th 2008, 8:13 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Canadian Citizen
To the original poster......

You can't simply turn up in Canada and expect to start work as a plumber the next day.

You have to PASS a day long written exam, and a practical test, to be qualified. The apprenticeship here in Canada for a plumber is 5 years. The same testing requirements apply for most other trades such as welders, carpenters, brick layers and the like. Each Province has it's own standards and testing procedures.

Jim Bunting. Toronto.
thank you for the advice and does that mean my 5 years would all ready count and would i need to do a conversion test, and is that hard to organise.
Is there any help you can offer in ways of finding work for example websites etc or any where i can send a CV in the future

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.