Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

22 year old gradaute, should i move?! help!

22 year old gradaute, should i move?! help!

Old Mar 7th 2012, 3:12 pm
Just Joined

DollyDee is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 22 year old gradaute, should i move?! help!

Hi all,

I'm hoping that I will be able to gain a helpful insight and some useful advice about possibly moving to Vancouver as I haven't found many people in the same situation as myself.

I'm 22 years old and going to graduate from a good university in June with 2.1 in English.
I'm already a Permanent Resident so don't have to worry about paperwork and have 4 years left, however, I was just wondering whether anyone would know how easy it would be for me to find a decent job? I was thinking of going into either journalism or pr but open to most things! and whether or not my degree is recognized in Canada as from the research I've done it's not the same as the UK where a degree generally means you can go into most fields of work?

I would be extremely appreciative of any general information about the graduate job market! I'm going to Vancouver in August for a holiday as was thinking of handing out my CV and generally trying to see what kind of work I would be offered so is there any advice anyone could give me as to companies or website to check?

Thanks all,

D x

Last edited by DollyDee; Mar 7th 2012 at 3:18 pm.
Old Mar 7th 2012, 3:14 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 22 year old gradaute, should i move?! help!

Hi, and welcome to BE.

How much time will you have before you need to move i.e. before your PR status runs out? Would you have time to job hunt before moving, or will you need to go as soon as you've graduated? Are the rest of your family already in Canada?

Might also be worth letting people know what type of job you'd be looking for, so those in a similar job can advise you better.

Good luck.
Old Mar 7th 2012, 3:19 pm
Just Joined

DollyDee is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Hi, and welcome to BE.

How much time will you have before you need to move i.e. before your PR status runs out? Would you have time to job hunt before moving, or will you need to go as soon as you've graduated? Are the rest of your family already in Canada?

Might also be worth letting people know what type of job you'd be looking for, so those in a similar job can advise you better.

Good luck.
I just edited the post (Thanks for pointing that stuff out!)
I've got 4 years left and wanting to go into journalism or PR but open to most things to be honest! I have one family member in Canada but I would essentially be alone and ideally would go in September/October!
Old Mar 7th 2012, 3:21 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DollyDee
I just edited the post (Thanks for pointing that stuff out!)
I've got 4 years left and wanting to go into journalism or PR but open to most things to be honest!
Just checking, but you say you've got 4 years left, when exactly did you get PR ('land' in Canada) and how much time have you spent in Canada since then? It's just that 4 years wouldn't normally apply if you've already landed?

Hopefully a few peeps who work in journalism or PR can advise you better on your job prospects in those areas.

Old Mar 7th 2012, 3:26 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Just checking, but you say you've got 4 years left, when exactly did you get PR ('land' in Canada) and how much time have you spent in Canada since then? It's just that 4 years wouldn't normally apply if you've already landed?

Hopefully a few peeps who work in journalism or PR can advise you better on your job prospects in those areas.

I don't work in either field but my son does. He did a college diploma in Broadcast Journalism (in Ontario) followed by a Business Diploma in Marketing and still had a heck of a time finding a first job. He did, eventually, but only by relocating to Regina, SK.

As usual its who you know not what you know.
Old Mar 7th 2012, 3:27 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
I don't work in either field but my son does. He did a college diploma in Broadcast Journalism (in Ontario) followed by a Business Diploma in Marketing and still had a heck of a time finding a first job. He did, eventually, but only by relocating to Regina, SK.

As usual its who you know not what you know.
Is that too high a price to pay ?
Old Mar 7th 2012, 3:40 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

PR/journalism are very competitive to get into. Most people do journalism programs/PR study but getting a foot in the door will be your biggest hurdle.
Old Mar 7th 2012, 5:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

Third6 is just really niceThird6 is just really niceThird6 is just really niceThird6 is just really niceThird6 is just really niceThird6 is just really niceThird6 is just really niceThird6 is just really niceThird6 is just really niceThird6 is just really niceThird6 is just really nice

I currently work in PR in Toronto. I'm a publicist/PR Manager. I lucked out with this job though, I had VERY good contacts but the jobs are here if you search hard enough.
Old Mar 7th 2012, 6:23 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tangram
Is that too high a price to pay ?
It depends how long the sentence turns out to be. He's doing OK at the moment and making progress in Regina (he's been there 14 months now).
Old Mar 8th 2012, 7:09 pm
Just Joined

LawrenceG is an unknown quantity at this point

If you do PR you might have an easier time getting internships since everyone needs PR... I'd say find a company you wanted to work at and email the right person suggesting you do an internship there in Public Relations... best way to get any job really.