Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

2020 Xmas Day Options- GTA

2020 Xmas Day Options- GTA

Old Dec 14th 2020, 3:23 pm
Just Joined

katehul is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 2020 Xmas Day Options- GTA

Hey Guys, we have now moved into our new house in Burlington which I love, but looks like we wont get our shipment from the UK until around February as we are in Groupage :-( I wanted to explore the option of going somewhere nice for Xmas Dinner as I have minimal kitchen stuff. Does anyone know if anything is open within say an hour or so drive of Burlington (happy to get a hotel further) so we can have a nice first Canadian xmas? I've looked online on places like Opentable which take bookings then the actual website of venue says not open. Thanks in advance.
Old Dec 14th 2020, 3:31 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 2020 Xmas Day Options- GTA

Originally Posted by katehul View Post
Hey Guys, we have now moved into our new house in Burlington which I love, but looks like we wont get our shipment from the UK until around February as we are in Groupage :-( I wanted to explore the option of going somewhere nice for Xmas Dinner as I have minimal kitchen stuff. Does anyone know if anything is open within say an hour or so drive of Burlington (happy to get a hotel further) so we can have a nice first Canadian xmas? I've looked online on places like Opentable which take bookings then the actual website of venue says not open. Thanks in advance.
Many restaurants close Christmas Day and many are closed due to Covid restrictions. The advice is to stay home and only mix with people you live with over Christmas and NY. Don’t risk your health...stay home.
Old Dec 14th 2020, 4:04 pm
Resident Maple Leaf Lush

sharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond repute

Toronto is currently in the "Grey" / "Lockdown" tier. At present indoor or outdoor dining is prohibited, and you can only order take-out, delivery, or curbside pickup from places that offer these. So you'd not be able to go out for a meal anyway.

Not wishing to be rude, but it's very strongly recommended that you stay home, except for essential purposes such as going to work or school, buying essentials such as groceries, and attending medical appointments.

This applies to both Toronto and Halton Region. I *do* understand why you want to make your first Christmas here a good one, but unfortunately, due to the situation we find ourselves in with Covid-19, it isn't really possible. Yes, it very seriously sucks. But it's not worth putting yourself or others at risk.

Last edited by sharkus; Dec 14th 2020 at 4:12 pm.
Old Dec 14th 2020, 4:08 pm
Professional Cat herder

Zoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond repute

if you are up for a drive royal york in toronto is doing a takeout and reheat xmas dinner for pick up

Festive Meals To-Go — Fairmont Royal York

they'll even carve the turkey for you
Old Dec 14th 2020, 4:25 pm

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to your new home - congrats on your house in Burlington and the move over!

Very little will be open around Burlington and Hamilton - which are both in the Red Zone and limited to 10 people inside! You might be able to get a take out, I'd suggest you go to the nearest dollar store and/or Canadian Tire and/or Walmart to pick up the odd few bits and pieces you need until your shipment arrives and celebrate Christmas in your new home, lots available online in sales, too! It will mean so much more than going somewhere. No need to put yourselves at risk for little reason when there are alternatives

If you really want to go to a hotel elsewhere then the following might be of use to you

Niagara on the Lake (lovely area) - https://www.vintage-hotels.com/holid...e-hotels-2020/
Toronto - https://westwindsrestaurant.ca/commu...christmas-day/ - and a list of all the Toronto restaurants that are offering food on Christmas Day - https://foodgressing.com/christmas-toronto-2020/
Deerhurst - https://deerhurstresort.com/christmas-dining/

Christmas Eve / Boxing Day http://burlington.paradisorestaurant...8/Default.aspx
Restaurants / Pubs offering take out (you collect by Christmas Eve) in Hamilton: https://www.joyceofcooking.com/hamil...ls-and-treats/
https://carmenscatering.com/order/
https://equalpartsevents.ca/products/holiday-feast
https://www.coachandlantern.ca/

If you want to see some christmas lights - see the list here: https://www.todocanada.ca/christmas-...arols-theatre/

Last edited by Siouxie; Dec 14th 2020 at 4:50 pm.
Old Dec 14th 2020, 5:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

HGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond repute

The thing is, if you live in an area where restaurants are closed, to find one open you have to drive to an area that has fewer cases and so less restrictions. That really isn't fair, or in any way aligned with the recommendations. Look at this as an adventure, go and buy foil roasting trays and a couple of cheap pans and make what you can. With the right attitude this could be your most memorable Christmas ever, in a good way.
Old Dec 14th 2020, 5:05 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Zoe Bell View Post
if you are up for a drive royal york in toronto is doing a takeout and reheat xmas dinner for pick up
Originally Posted by Siouxie View Post
If you really want to go to a hotel elsewhere then the following might be of use to you
Restaurants / Pubs offering take out (you collect by Christmas Eve)
Yes, I was going to suggest something like that must be available. Even in little old Moncton there's a hotel that does it all - turkey, trimmings, the lot - to be collected.

Or get a catering thing made up by one of the supermarkets or M&Ms and supplement it with stuff you are able to do in the kitchen or reheat.

Maybe order an Indian or Chinese delivery so you have prawns, chicken wings or even some sort of curry...anything to reheat on the day. Make up some smoked salmon and cream cheese on croissants. Treat yourself to some large prawns - so long as you can cook them and like them of course.

Nice bottle or two of wine.

We often make up a finger food dinners of large prawns, scallops, chicken, spring roll appetiser type things, mini-quiches, smoked salmon, cheese, pate. Maybe garlic bread. They're fantastic.

Toaster-oven, actifry, toaster, microwave can be used...needn't be full oven use. If the equipment is the issue, get some disposable foil trays to use. Save on the washing up too.

Make a thing of it and enjoy
Old Dec 14th 2020, 5:10 pm
Professional Cat herder

Zoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond repute

Make good food , home prep food company. Ben and I use them for everyday meals ( 3 a week)
https://www.makegoodfood.ca/en/groce...ays/2020-12-21

if you use them , drop me a PM , i can send you a code for some free meals
Old Dec 15th 2020, 9:20 pm
Forum Regular

Lichisadave has a reputation beyond reputeLichisadave has a reputation beyond reputeLichisadave has a reputation beyond reputeLichisadave has a reputation beyond reputeLichisadave has a reputation beyond reputeLichisadave has a reputation beyond reputeLichisadave has a reputation beyond reputeLichisadave has a reputation beyond reputeLichisadave has a reputation beyond reputeLichisadave has a reputation beyond reputeLichisadave has a reputation beyond repute

Hi and welcome to Canada like others have said you will find it hard finding somewhere open on Christmas Day. There is a pub in north Burlington doing a take out Christmas dinner. It’s called Studabaker and is on Appleby and Dundas.
Old Dec 16th 2020, 6:12 pm
Forum Regular

bgpz has a reputation beyond reputebgpz has a reputation beyond reputebgpz has a reputation beyond reputebgpz has a reputation beyond reputebgpz has a reputation beyond reputebgpz has a reputation beyond reputebgpz has a reputation beyond reputebgpz has a reputation beyond reputebgpz has a reputation beyond reputebgpz has a reputation beyond reputebgpz has a reputation beyond repute

Agree with the others about staying at home being the best bet right now.
Do yourself a favour and get your xmas roast from Fenwood Farm in Ancaster. They're great, sworn by them for a dozen years or so (or whatever it is by now - easy to lose track these days!!) for great quality birds at decent prices.

As for dining out, Quatrefoil in Dundas is incredible. The Toronto food mafia(TM) journos went gaga over them when it opened (even though it's a good hour's schlep for most of them, but shouldn't be more than 15-20 mins for you) and rightly so. When we could have the luxury of hosting visitors from the UK and elsewhere, if we were going out for a serious meal this would never disappoint. Not been anywhere near as much since the Brux House opened in our hood (IIRC, the food side of things is basically Quatrefoil people, pretty sure they're part owners of BH?) but keep meaning to go back some time. Well, once all this is over (tried going al fresco at Aberdeen Tavern and Ancaster Mill, but it just ain't the same...).
For now, we've mainly been focusing on good quality take out from decent local small businesses if we don't want to cook, many of the more upmarket restaurants have pivoted to some kind of take-out offering but beyond a certain price point I can't really justify the expense - but if you're looking to splurge but want to keep safe, that might be an option worth considering.

And welcome to the area!
Old Dec 16th 2020, 8:02 pm

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bgpz View Post
Agree with the others about staying at home being the best bet right now.
Do yourself a favour and get your xmas roast from Fenwood Farm in Ancaster. They're great, sworn by them for a dozen years or so (or whatever it is by now - easy to lose track these days!!) for great quality birds at decent prices.

As for dining out, Quatrefoil in Dundas is incredible. The Toronto food mafia(TM) journos went gaga over them when it opened (even though it's a good hour's schlep for most of them, but shouldn't be more than 15-20 mins for you) and rightly so. When we could have the luxury of hosting visitors from the UK and elsewhere, if we were going out for a serious meal this would never disappoint. Not been anywhere near as much since the Brux House opened in our hood (IIRC, the food side of things is basically Quatrefoil people, pretty sure they're part owners of BH?) but keep meaning to go back some time. Well, once all this is over (tried going al fresco at Aberdeen Tavern and Ancaster Mill, but it just ain't the same...).
For now, we've mainly been focusing on good quality take out from decent local small businesses if we don't want to cook, many of the more upmarket restaurants have pivoted to some kind of take-out offering but beyond a certain price point I can't really justify the expense - but if you're looking to splurge but want to keep safe, that might be an option worth considering.

And welcome to the area!
Your thoughts were correct - it's part of the same company https://quatrefoilrestaurant.com/about/ " In 2015 our team opened Brux House Craft Beer & Kitchen in Hamilton, Ontario where we serve food inspired by the European Beer belt, craft beer, cocktails and wine."
From Brux house > https://bruxhouse.com/about/ "Its sister location, Quatrefoil Restaurant, is located in nearby Dundas, and specializes in contemporary fine dining."
Definitely 2 I would like to try once things are more settled, thanks for the recommendation!
Old Dec 17th 2020, 1:17 pm
Just Joined

katehul is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for everyone's input and suggestions. We have now got a car (with the most expensive car insurance in the world. I was prepared for an increase but OMG!!!!) and I have discovered Dollarama and got plenty of disposable kitchen wear to keep us going! I have also bought a futon which can serve as a sofa until ours arrives but wont go to waste as can go elsewhere in the house for when we get guests post-COVID restrictions. More importantly did a big LCBO shop yesterday! Looks like we will be ok for a nice cosy home Christmas after all :-) Wishing a safe and wonderful Christmas to you all. x
Old Dec 17th 2020, 1:41 pm
Just Joined

shaunc89 has a reputation beyond reputeshaunc89 has a reputation beyond reputeshaunc89 has a reputation beyond reputeshaunc89 has a reputation beyond reputeshaunc89 has a reputation beyond reputeshaunc89 has a reputation beyond reputeshaunc89 has a reputation beyond reputeshaunc89 has a reputation beyond reputeshaunc89 has a reputation beyond reputeshaunc89 has a reputation beyond reputeshaunc89 has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome! I'm in Burlington too and I've noticed a bunch of the bars on facebook advertising takeout and reheat options which might help you out (https://thedickens.ca/takeout/produc...turkey-dinner/). I'm sure they're not the only one, but could give you an idea of whats available.
Old Dec 17th 2020, 3:19 pm

Thanks for everyone's input and suggestions. We have now got a car (with the most expensive car insurance in the world. I was prepared for an increase but OMG!!!!) and I have discovered Dollarama and got plenty of disposable kitchen wear to keep us going! I have also bought a futon which can serve as a sofa until ours arrives but wont go to waste as can go elsewhere in the house for when we get guests post-COVID restrictions. More importantly did a big LCBO shop yesterday! Looks like we will be ok for a nice cosy home Christmas after all :-) Wishing a safe and wonderful Christmas to you all. x
Well done you! If you want a christmas tree Canadian Tire have a 6' prelit one on sale for $49. and they have a 74 pack of unbreakable balls for $20.
If you didn't already see it our wiki has an article on how to get cheaper insurance in Ontario https://britishexpats.com/wiki/Categ...Canada#Ontario Johnsons and TD usually accept 'no claims' from the UK with a copy of your drivers extract (you may need letters from your previous insurance companies too - look under BC insurance in the wiki for details ) . https://www.tdinsurance.com/products...verage/ontario
A thread that might be of use: https://britishexpats.com/forum/cana...ntario-932804/