British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   2017 Canadian Passport Renewal time increase? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/2017-canadian-passport-renewal-time-increase-877410/)

misplacedheidi May 13th 2016 10:47 am

2017 Canadian Passport Renewal time increase?

I became a Citizen in 2012 and could only get a 5 year passport at the time. It is due for renewal next year.

I keep reading that passports became mandatory for US/Canada border hopping in 2007 and people have been writing that there are a huge number of people who will need to renew their passports in 2017.

Does anyone have insider knowledge on this? Are we going to see massive increase in wait times?

Currently wait time/processing time is 20 days so just keeping an eye on it, especially as you HAVE to enter Canada on a Canadian passport.

Former Lancastrian May 13th 2016 11:00 am

Re: 2017 Canadian Passport Renewal time increase?

Originally Posted by misplacedheidi (Post 11947041)
I became a Citizen in 2012 and could only get a 5 year passport at the time. It is due for renewal next year.

I keep reading that passports became mandatory for US/Canada border hopping in 2007 and people have been writing that there are a huge number of people who will need to renew their passports in 2017.

Does anyone have insider knowledge on this? Are we going to see massive increase in wait times?

Currently wait time/processing time is 20 days so just keeping an eye on it, especially as you HAVE to enter Canada on a Canadian passport.

Passports are not mandatory for crossing the US border if you are driving as there are other options such as NEXUS cards and Enhanced driving licences in provinces that have them. The Govt suggests you use a passport.
As for processing times who knows if they will increase slightly? I guess if they all sent them in for renewal on the same day it might cause a bit of a problem.
Perhaps before booking any trips give yourself say 3 months to renew the passport.

misplacedheidi May 13th 2016 11:05 am

Thanks FL.

I have nexus and am a big fan. I use the CA passport for travel back to the homeland.

I was just concerned about planning renewals if there is going to be a large influx of renewals next year.....

Early morning posting!

SchnookoLoly May 13th 2016 12:46 pm

A friend posted this on Facebook as well - New passport rule ruins millions of holidays for travelers flying to US

My passport was renewed a bit before biometric passports became standard in Canada. My passport is also up for renewal in 2017 so I'm curious about this as well... I don't have any imminent trips to the US planned, but would also prefer not to be waiting ages for my passport...

misplacedheidi May 13th 2016 12:50 pm

Canadian passports don't need the biometric info for flying to the US - the Canadian passport office has posted that info.

Now, if they would post about the likely amount of renewals next year, that would be good!

SchnookoLoly May 13th 2016 1:04 pm

Cool thanks!

orly May 15th 2016 2:23 am

If you're willing to stump up some cash they'll renew it next day for you if you want.

Davita May 15th 2016 2:58 am

Be aware......if you have over 12 months validity left on a Canadian passport it requires a letter explaining why one needs to renew.

Gozit May 16th 2016 2:25 pm

Originally Posted by SchnookoLoly (Post 11947152)
A friend posted this on Facebook as well - New passport rule ruins millions of holidays for travelers flying to US

My passport was renewed a bit before biometric passports became standard in Canada. My passport is also up for renewal in 2017 so I'm curious about this as well... I don't have any imminent trips to the US planned, but would also prefer not to be waiting ages for my passport...

Yeah... Canada isn't part of the VWP, we have our own agreement with the US as per travel so we don't need biometric Canadian passports to get into the US.

I'm curious about the wait times as my Canadian one is up in 2017 as well, same as you renewed just before biometric became standard for Canadian passports. I'm looking at another trip in March of '17, and have one planned for Dec of this year as well, so i'm wondering if I should just do it the year early in September when i'm not travelling. I was originally planning on renewing it after I turn 18 in Jan because of the whole simplified renewal malarkey but it looks like its 16+ for an "adult" passport that is eligible for simplified renewal so I might just go for it.

Steve_ May 17th 2016 10:44 pm

Got mine in a week, renewed last month. They're much better than the old 5-year passports. Made with bond paper unlike the near-toilet paper they used to use.

As for that article linked to, it's an ePassport you need for the VWP, doesn't have to be biometric. The symbol on the front is ePassport. Biometric passports are something else that came along later.

https://www.cbp.gov/newsroom/nationa...nt-visa-waiver

Canadians don't require an ePassport to enter the US, basically Canadians enter under the same provision of law as people with visas, but don't require visas. Mainly because CBP has direct access to CPIC at the POE so they can see if you've been arrested or convicted of anything.

http://photos.state.gov/libraries/ca...quirements.pdf

So to cut a long story short, not worth worrying about.

Steve_ May 17th 2016 10:46 pm

Also, WTF is a "citizen of Bermuda"? British Overseas Territory Citizen with belonger status on Bermuda.