British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   20 ft shipping container costs (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/20-ft-shipping-container-costs-851143/)

jamesmacc Jan 20th 2015 9:20 pm

20 ft shipping container costs

just wondering what people paid to have a 20ft container take there stuff from the uk to canada, odviously varies from provinces etc, mine will be more i guess as im in the scottish highlands and travelling to Regina saskachewan
cheers
James

flat to the mat Jan 21st 2015 3:41 am

Re: 20 ft shipping container costs

10 yrs ago so prices won't be relevant , but for complete packing , 3 weeks storage UK , then delivered when we wanted to our rental in Regina , it was considered money well spent , and considerably cheaper than buying new .

christmasoompa Jan 21st 2015 8:40 am

Originally Posted by jamesmacc (Post 11539618)
just wondering what people paid to have a 20ft container take there stuff from the uk to canada, odviously varies from provinces etc, mine will be more i guess as im in the scottish highlands and travelling to Regina saskachewan
cheers
James

The best thing to do is search the forums as you'll find loads of thread with prices on and also recommendations of companies (there are also quite a lot in the thread I gave you the other day with moving costs on). Figure about £3-4k for sole use as a rough guide though.

HTH.

shazza69 Jan 21st 2015 11:38 am

we have just started to get quotes from cornwall to Vancouver, had one quote back so far from Britannia Lanes which was far more than I expected to be honest...

Based on Fully Export Wrapped
Door to Door service –Vancouver Canada
1 x 20ft Container not exceeding 1000cuft
Subject to survey / access
£5720 plus insurance
Got someone coming round on Wednesday for another quote...

xxdb Jan 21st 2015 2:22 pm

Originally Posted by shazza69 (Post 11540158)
we have just started to get quotes from cornwall to Vancouver, had one quote back so far from Britannia Lanes which was far more than I expected to be honest...

£5720 plus insurance

We paid four grand from Glasgow to Calgary May 2013. I would expect if you wait a bit longer it might be closer to that because of oil prices being a lot lower than they were. Six grand seems a bit steep to me.

shazza69 Jan 21st 2015 3:02 pm

just had another quote come in from white & Company...it seems they are all coming in at around the same which I think is expensive..

Our price for this move, based on a volume of 1,050 cubic feet, would be £5,428.00

Included:
Full pack & load onto vehicle
Disassembly/reassembly of beds (if required)
Return to Depot Export Wrap for shipment
Booking/loading of Container
Customs Documents
Transportation to destination Residence
Removal of waste materials and cartons

Excluded:
Assembly of furniture not dismantled by ourselves
Installation of white goods
Hanging of pictures/curtains etc
Parking Permits/Shuttle Service/External Hoist
Customs Duties, Taxes
Fumigation, Quarantine Examination, Xray Examination, Steam Cleaning
Demurrage, dock rent and any storage charges that may be applicable.

vanity Jan 21st 2015 3:29 pm

Those quotes seem a bit high, but our destination was Vancouver

shazza69 Jan 21st 2015 3:49 pm

our destination is Vancouver also...yes they are coming back as high quotes..

GrandmaLynn Jan 22nd 2015 9:08 am

we used upakweship and paid £1700 for a 20ft container from Liverpool to Toronto

vanity Jan 22nd 2015 3:16 pm

Try ringing a few more places, and then asking them to beat each other. Search the old threads too for more information.

rivingtonpike Jan 22nd 2015 4:26 pm

Originally Posted by shazza69 (Post 11540158)

£5720 plus insurance

You know, you don't have to get your insurance through your shipper. They are usually way more expensive than if you source it yourself. Also, you don't have to insure your whole shipment. Bearing in mind your deductible, you can just insure the expensive/key pieces that are more valuable than the deductible. So we insured our antiques, paintings, sofas etc, but not the kitchen items, bedding etcetcetc....

bc2015 Jan 22nd 2015 5:22 pm

Self-packing may help keep the cost down too.

We did self-packing with a shared container and paid about 600 GBP door to port from Ireland to Vancouver.

Dickhanson Jan 22nd 2015 7:25 pm

Isle of Wight to Winnipeg quoted by 3 different movers was between £5500-£6000 for a container. I can buy everything new in Winnipeg for that much so we're selling it all in uk

withabix Jan 22nd 2015 8:35 pm

We balked at the remover's insurance. Note that you are also paying to cover THEIR negligence liability when you take the insurance that they offer. That should be one of their costs of doing business in the first place.

We got our insurance from Insurance2Day

It cost us £860 for £52,000 of cover (that included a Land Rover Defender), £100 or 1% excess. The remover's insurance was nearly 3 times that figure.

I think we were quoted £5500 for a 20' and £6700 for a 40'. Carlisle to Kelowna. Short sea route Liverpool-Montreal, Rail to Vancouver, Semi to Kelowna. Pack at UK end, unload to a storage unit in Kelowna, flat deck in Kelowna to offload the Land Rover and transport to our house.

We could have done it cheaper, but it was less hassle with the Land Rover and arrangements at the Canada end.

To move the same load again three months later from Kelowna to Vancouver cost $2800 without the Land Rover.

Fortunately my Canadian employer picked up most of the costs to move from the UK (I got $10,000 towards expenses) and 100% of the move costs to Vancouver.

Arty Jan 23rd 2015 11:04 am

Hi
we used Upakweship last Sept from Lochwinnoch to Ottawa and paid £2850.We packed all our goods on and off,great service and the company were with us all the way.