Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

2 years and love it?

2 years and love it?

Old Feb 20th 2013, 7:36 pm
Just Joined

ronaldoooo is a jewel in the roughronaldoooo is a jewel in the roughronaldoooo is a jewel in the roughronaldoooo is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: 2 years and love it?

ArthurBrit....I see what you are saying and I agree with the logic, just not the content.

When you move to a new country you have to give it 100% or you will be unhappy. I noticed on one of the posters sig's it had "proud brit"! Now what chance do you have integrating into a new country with an attitude like that? When I moved I loved England but I wanted to experience the world, once I arrived in Canada I tried to integrated myself completely. To learn the history, customs, special days and people of Canada.

When I think about living in England, the biggest complaint we had of immigrants was their reluctance to fully fit in. Their need to form cliques and groups and stay separate from the rest of the country . Yet those same people who complained are moving to a new country and doing the exact same thing!

Give in, let go and embrace Canada...once you do, there is no turning back. Enjoying life here is easy.
Old Feb 20th 2013, 7:39 pm
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ronaldoooo
I don't have any negatives to justify. The only complaints I have about canada is the food / housing / clothing is pricey, I can't find proper bacon and the bread is crap. ABSOLUTELY everything else about Canada is better than England. I'd rather lose an arm than go back to England.

You can throw stats about, G8 this, GDP that...but just ask yourself one simple question "Is the standard of life better here?". And for me, there is NO competition at all. Canada is better than anything I could have dreamed of.

The Uk really is a sinking ship. The boarders have been opened, the country diluted and island is full to capacity. Each generation of kids is worse than the last, crapping out even more kids at a younger and younger ages. The poor buggers have no chance.

I prefer to look at future accomplishments, not look at past. I'm 33 so I'm from the 2nd to last generation....and I know we were all thick. Most of my friends live on the welfare (and are happy about it), no job, no house and are miserable. What does the UK lead the world in now? Music? Culture? Science? Technology? I don't think so. As I said before, England was great at one point, but that time has long, long since gone.

I live in a national park so it is ridiculously clean. It's in the mountains so the air is fresh. I go out once or twice a week to the pub/club and I have never once seen a fight. There are miles and miles of open space between where I live and the nearest city. The people here are HORRIFIED by people on benefits, it's just not in their nature to claim welfare. So yes, I stick by my comment that compared to Canada, the UK is "Dirty, smelly, violent, crowded and poor"

I try to visit as little as possible. In fact, the only time I go back is if members of my family die (and even then I try to get out of it!). You must be wandering around with blinkers on then. Tell you what, next time you are in England you should take a little trip to Cheshire and tell me how you like it. Or use public transportation at night. Be in a train station after 5pm. Walk through a park after dark. Go to any city pub.

I can't believe I've just joined and already I feel as though I'm in an argument but I'm sorry, I REALLY hate people who whine and complain about how bad their life is. If you like England all that much, then move back. Simple. I find that attitude a huge insult to Canada and Canadian people. I've met maybe 40-50 UK people since moving here, and every single one of them loves canada...and the ones who moved back to England but I have kept in contact with, have all deeply regretted moving back home.

Maybe you should change your attitudes before changing your country.
Not really sure you've grasped this "forum" thing....quite, not quite.
Old Feb 20th 2013, 7:41 pm
Just Joined

ronaldoooo is a jewel in the roughronaldoooo is a jewel in the roughronaldoooo is a jewel in the roughronaldoooo is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Lychee
I applaud what you're saying, but I must note that you're taking your microcosmic view of living within a National Park (Banff? Jasper??) and blanketing the whole of Canada based on life in a National Park in one small part of Canada. Your lifestyle is the abnormality in Canada, I'd imagine, considering the majority of Canada's 33+ million population live in urban areas.
Agreed, I have lived in only a few places in Canada but my point still stands. The fact that canada is so big means there are lots of places to live and the real point of the post was that it's the PEOPLE in canada that make living here such a joy.
Old Feb 20th 2013, 7:47 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

ArthurBrit....I see what you are saying and I agree with the logic, just not the content.

When you move to a new country you have to give it 100% or you will be unhappy. I noticed on one of the posters sig's it had "proud brit"! Now what chance do you have integrating into a new country with an attitude like that? When I moved I loved England but I wanted to experience the world, once I arrived in Canada I tried to integrated myself completely. To learn the history, customs, special days and people of Canada.

When I think about living in England, the biggest complaint we had of immigrants was their reluctance to fully fit in. Their need to form cliques and groups and stay separate from the rest of the country . Yet those same people who complained are moving to a new country and doing the exact same thing!

Give in, let go and embrace Canada...once you do, there is no turning back. Enjoying life here is easy.
Have you read and studied the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms? I'd say you probably need to have a butchers if you really want to consider yourself integrated into Canadian society. You might want to pay special attention to section 27 and the subsequent 1988 Canadian Multiculturalism Act.
Old Feb 20th 2013, 7:47 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

When I moved I loved England but I wanted to experience the world, once I arrived in Canada I tried to integrated myself completely. To learn the history, customs, special days and people of Canada.
Sounds like a good idea. Canadian culture is so different and alien to other white western cultures that you just have to immerse yourself fully otherwise you won't get anywhere.

It's true. I hate those immigrants - it's why I emigrated.

Canada is so far ahead of the UK of the UK with music, tech and science. Just look at the amazing output from this country, there's Justin Bieber, Celine Dion and Blackberry. And that's all I can think of right now, but I bet there are loads of others.
Old Feb 20th 2013, 8:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

ArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond repute

Wrong.

I am the man I am today because I grew up in the UK if I hated the UK I would need to hate myself as I am a direct product of that great country.

Whilst there may be issues and things wrong with Britain it is my home, regardless of how long I live in Canada. Don't get me wrong I also love Canada and it is also my home it is possible to love both countries. Much like there being issues with Britain there are also issues with Canada.

I don't intentionally post bad things about Canada I just point out the differences between the two countries to try to add constructive critisism/culteral differences, I would never sit here on the forums and say what a cess pit Canada is because it simply isn't true, it isn't true for Britian either.
Old Feb 20th 2013, 8:04 pm
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ArthurBrit
Wrong.

I am the man I am today because I grew up in the UK if I hated the UK I would need to hate myself as I am a direct product of that great country.

Whilst there may be issues and things wrong with Britain it is my home, regardless of how long I live in Canada. Don't get me wrong I also love Canada and it is also my home it is possible to love both countries. Much like there being issues with Britain there are also issues with Canada.

I don't intentionally post bad things about Canada I just point out the differences between the two countries to try to add constructive critisism/culteral differences, I would never sit here on the forums and say what a cess pit Canada is because it simply isn't true, it isn't true for Britian either.
+1
Old Feb 20th 2013, 8:11 pm
Part Time Poster

MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute

bitter, bitter attitudes. And that lovely UK sarcasm to boot.

The reason you are unhappy has nothing to do with missing the UK or with Canada being crap. It's because you are so unwilling to change. Never going to be happy wherever you go.

Sad really.
Off with the assumptions again, assuming your world view fits all

Accepting that Canada has flaws and that the UK isn’t all bad, doesn't mean you don't like Canada, nor does it mean you’d prefer to be in the UK..

To be honest I don’t think one is any better or worse than the other, subtle variations, the grass is different shades of green..
With peoples differing expectations between quality and quantity of life and the varying overlap of their definitions it can be difficult to determine what defines better between two 1st world nations

What I do know is that to describe a top 10 GDP nation as one going to the dogs is naïve, foolish and guaranteed to get you called out on a public forum

Last edited by MikeUK; Feb 20th 2013 at 8:22 pm.
Old Feb 20th 2013, 8:17 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by ArthurBrit
Wrong.

With this attitude it seems you are just on holiday in Canada, you don't really live there.

I am who I am IN SPITE of growing up in England.

I agree that you are at least much more constructive than some of the other posters though.
Old Feb 20th 2013, 8:26 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

bitter, bitter attitudes. And that lovely UK sarcasm to boot.

The reason you are unhappy has nothing to do with missing the UK or with Canada being crap. It's because you are so unwilling to change. Never going to be happy wherever you go.

Sad really.
Your posts are like a shining beacon of common sense. All too often we see people coming to this forum and arguing against views that nobody actually holds. So it's good to see somebody point out the that anyone who says the UK isn't going to the dogs must hate Canada, be unwilling to change and won't be happy wherever they go. It stands to reason what with all the immigrants and feral chavs around. They don't even make anything there any more.
Old Feb 20th 2013, 8:27 pm
"In cruce vincam"

With this attitude it seems you are just on holiday in Canada, you don't really live there.

I agree that you are at least much more constructive than some of the other posters though.
To glibly say everything in Canada is great and everything in Britail is crap is just so prejorative. Of course there's good and bad in any country or culture. Some people fit in or assimilate to another country better than others. I for one happen to love living in Canada and I don't have any forseeable intention of moving back to the UK. But to openly condemn everything British is bound to get people's backs up.
Old Feb 20th 2013, 8:27 pm
Just Joined

What I do know is that to describe a top 10 GDP nation as one going to the dogs is naïve, foolish and guaranteed to get you called out on a public forum
When taken out of context maybe. Blackberry and Nokia were 2 of the biggest phone companies around not so long ago. Then they lost their market share practically overnight.

It's not about today, but more about tomorrow. Where is the UK heading. And if you can't see that England is on the descent then there is something wrong with you.

The space, resources and room for growth in Canada is infinitely better than the UK.
Old Feb 20th 2013, 8:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

ArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond repute

I have 3 kids at home a wife and my sister in law. It's no holiday!

Other posters are attacking you because you attacked something very dear to them. Their reactions are something I fully expect and to be fair you should expect it too when all you have done is destroy the UK in your own mind. Other people aren't happy with what you said and are belittling you.

My feeling is that you are personally attacking Britain to put your mind at ease regarding whether you made the correct decision or not.

The truth is that you probably miss the UK and the truth is you find that by stating it's a cess pit somehow sedates you. That's fair enough but you need to remember what sedates you riles other people up.

It's not easy for anyone to move overseas and be away from their true friends and family and nothing can prepare us for that change but it doesn't help and is not healthy for people to be told what they are missing is a cess pit.
Old Feb 20th 2013, 8:32 pm
Forum Regular

gb_griffiths is a name known to allgb_griffiths is a name known to allgb_griffiths is a name known to allgb_griffiths is a name known to allgb_griffiths is a name known to allgb_griffiths is a name known to allgb_griffiths is a name known to allgb_griffiths is a name known to allgb_griffiths is a name known to allgb_griffiths is a name known to allgb_griffiths is a name known to all

Hey Ronaldoooo,

Did you read how to make friends and influence people before joining the forum?

I thinks it's great you love Canada. I hope I get there and love it as much as you do.

Re: Britain - I wouldn't be trying to leave here if I didn't think I could have a more satisfying life elsewhere. But I think you can love both places (maybe a little more or less) as well.

Just because someone doesn't rave about Canada doesn't mean they're some sort of half-hearted immigrant. Perhaps they're just not quite as into it as you. I love your enthusiasm for it though. I hope I get that same level of excitement some day soon.

Yours,

GB Griffiths.
Old Feb 20th 2013, 8:34 pm

Where is the UK heading. And if you can't see that England is on the descent then there is something wrong with you.
I know. There's nothing there any more. The only world class industries they have are in high-tech, science, pharma, creative, aerospace and financial sectors. And they are only the 6th largest manufacturer in the world or something - it's pathetic really.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.