Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

2 years and love it?

2 years and love it?

Old Feb 20th 2013, 5:33 pm
Just Joined

ronaldoooo is a jewel in the roughronaldoooo is a jewel in the roughronaldoooo is a jewel in the roughronaldoooo is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: 2 years and love it?

Moved to canada 5 years ago and I honestly can't see what anybody could miss about the UK. Recently found out that nesters supermarket bread tastes like warburtons so the last complaint I have about the country has evaporated.

Really think about your old life back in the UK. Could you do the things you do now? Would you have the same freedom? Space? Opportunities? Were you as happy as you are now?

I recently went back to the UK with my Canadian wife and she was horrified at how disgusting England was. She still had the idea that we all walk around with bowler hats, briefcases and say "jolly good morning" to each other. I was equally horrified by the place. The way England was so dirty, smelly, violent, crowded and poor. The "very" few good things about England (quality and price of food) are FAR out weighed by the bad.

I pretty much have the perfect life in Canada - amazing wife, easy job, nice house and great friends. The way of life here is just so slow and easy - the people I've met here are so friendly. In fact, every one of my friends and family who has come over to see me has said the same thing - that they wished they had the courage to move out here.

The UK is a sinking ship, TRUST me. I am so thankful that Canadians welcome us with such open arms. Amazing place, amazing people. Proud to call myself one of them.
Old Feb 20th 2013, 5:38 pm
Get me out of here ...

jeannie in a bottle has a reputation beyond reputejeannie in a bottle has a reputation beyond reputejeannie in a bottle has a reputation beyond reputejeannie in a bottle has a reputation beyond reputejeannie in a bottle has a reputation beyond reputejeannie in a bottle has a reputation beyond reputejeannie in a bottle has a reputation beyond reputejeannie in a bottle has a reputation beyond reputejeannie in a bottle has a reputation beyond reputejeannie in a bottle has a reputation beyond reputejeannie in a bottle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ronaldoooo
Moved to canada 5 years ago and I honestly can't see what anybody could miss about the UK. Recently found out that nesters supermarket bread tastes like warburtons so the last complaint I have about the country has evaporated.

Really think about your old life back in the UK. Could you do the things you do now? Would you have the same freedom? Space? Opportunities? Were you as happy as you are now?

I recently went back to the UK with my Canadian wife and she was horrified at how disgusting England was. She still had the idea that we all walk around with bowler hats, briefcases and say "jolly good morning" to each other. I was equally horrified by the place. The way England was so dirty, smelly, violent, crowded and poor. The "very" few good things about England (quality and price of food) are FAR out weighed by the bad.

I pretty much have the perfect life in Canada - amazing wife, easy job, nice house and great friends. The way of life here is just so slow and easy - the people I've met here are so friendly. In fact, every one of my friends and family who has come over to see me has said the same thing - that they wished they had the courage to move out here.

The UK is a sinking ship, TRUST me. I am so thankful that Canadians welcome us with such open arms. Amazing place, amazing people. Proud to call myself one of them.
"Dirty, smelly, violent, crowded and poor" ???

I have seen NONE of this, and I travel back to the UK 3 or 4 times a year.

Glad to hear you have "the perfect life". Not everyone will find that in Canada though.
Old Feb 20th 2013, 5:53 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Self loathing is a very british thing.
Old Feb 20th 2013, 6:05 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

I think it depends on whether you're an educated person thats interested in human activities and accomplishments or not. The UK is on the vanguard of intellectual ideas, art, philosophy and culture. One doesn't have too wait long for some amazing lectures, conferences or exhibitions to pop along. And then you've got Europe.
Old Feb 20th 2013, 6:07 pm
Part Time Poster

MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute

The UK is a sinking ship, TRUST me. .
Been hearing this for years....

It’s a nice idea to think about when you move somewhere else, helps justify the negatives, but the reality just isn’t true

Its 1st world to 1st world, still in the G8 to just in G8, #5 GDP to #11GDP, 4.3 votes in the IMF to 2.5 votes, the variables are often insignificant, and yes the UK is totally dependant on the European economy just as we are on the US, and either one of the big economies goes under the other one will follow..
Old Feb 20th 2013, 6:08 pm
Forum Regular

gb_griffiths is a name known to allgb_griffiths is a name known to allgb_griffiths is a name known to allgb_griffiths is a name known to allgb_griffiths is a name known to allgb_griffiths is a name known to allgb_griffiths is a name known to allgb_griffiths is a name known to allgb_griffiths is a name known to allgb_griffiths is a name known to allgb_griffiths is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Oink
I think it depends on whether you're an educated person thats interested in human activities and accomplishments or not. The UK is on the vanguard of intellectual ideas, art, philosophy and culture. One doesn't have too wait long for some amazing lectures, conferences or exhibitions to pop along. And then you've got Europe.
On the other hand, Britian does stink of p*ss and have no mates.

Old Feb 20th 2013, 6:11 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gb_griffiths
On the other hand, Britian does stink of p*ss and have no mates.

That is true, I said, human accomplishments not people themselves. People suck.
Old Feb 20th 2013, 7:01 pm
Just Joined

ronaldoooo is a jewel in the roughronaldoooo is a jewel in the roughronaldoooo is a jewel in the roughronaldoooo is a jewel in the rough

Been hearing this for years....

It’s a nice idea to think about when you move somewhere else, helps justify the negatives, but the reality just isn’t true
I don't have any negatives to justify. The only complaints I have about canada is the food / housing / clothing is pricey, I can't find proper bacon and the bread is crap. ABSOLUTELY everything else about Canada is better than England. I'd rather lose an arm than go back to England.

You can throw stats about, G8 this, GDP that...but just ask yourself one simple question "Is the standard of life better here?". And for me, there is NO competition at all. Canada is better than anything I could have dreamed of.

The Uk really is a sinking ship. The boarders have been opened, the country diluted and island is full to capacity. Each generation of kids is worse than the last, crapping out even more kids at a younger and younger ages. The poor buggers have no chance.

I think it depends on whether you're an educated person thats interested in human activities and accomplishments or not.
I prefer to look at future accomplishments, not look at past. I'm 33 so I'm from the 2nd to last generation....and I know we were all thick. Most of my friends live on the welfare (and are happy about it), no job, no house and are miserable. What does the UK lead the world in now? Music? Culture? Science? Technology? I don't think so. As I said before, England was great at one point, but that time has long, long since gone.

"Dirty, smelly, violent, crowded and poor" ???

I have seen NONE of this, and I travel back to the UK 3 or 4 times a year.
I live in a national park so it is ridiculously clean. It's in the mountains so the air is fresh. I go out once or twice a week to the pub/club and I have never once seen a fight. There are miles and miles of open space between where I live and the nearest city. The people here are HORRIFIED by people on benefits, it's just not in their nature to claim welfare. So yes, I stick by my comment that compared to Canada, the UK is "Dirty, smelly, violent, crowded and poor"

I try to visit as little as possible. In fact, the only time I go back is if members of my family die (and even then I try to get out of it!). You must be wandering around with blinkers on then. Tell you what, next time you are in England you should take a little trip to Cheshire and tell me how you like it. Or use public transportation at night. Be in a train station after 5pm. Walk through a park after dark. Go to any city pub.

I can't believe I've just joined and already I feel as though I'm in an argument but I'm sorry, I REALLY hate people who whine and complain about how bad their life is. If you like England all that much, then move back. Simple. I find that attitude a huge insult to Canada and Canadian people. I've met maybe 40-50 UK people since moving here, and every single one of them loves canada...and the ones who moved back to England but I have kept in contact with, have all deeply regretted moving back home.

Maybe you should change your attitudes before changing your country.
Old Feb 20th 2013, 7:10 pm

The people here are HORRIFIED by people on benefits, it's just not in their nature to claim welfare. So yes, I stick by my comment that compared to Canada, the UK is "Dirty, smelly, violent, crowded and poor"

I try to visit as little as possible. In fact, the only time I go back is if members of my family die (and even then I try to get out of it!). You must be wandering around with blinkers on then. Tell you what, next time you are in England you should take a little trip to Cheshire and tell me how you like it. Or use public transportation at night. Be in a train station after 5pm. Walk through a park after dark. Go to any city pub.

I can't believe I've just joined and already I feel as though I'm in an argument but I'm sorry, I REALLY hate people who whine and complain about how bad their life is. If you like England all that much, then move back. Simple. I find that attitude a huge insult to Canada and Canadian people. I've met maybe 40-50 UK people since moving here, and every single one of them loves canada...and the ones who moved back to England but I have kept in contact with, have all deeply regretted moving back home.

Welcome to the forum. In my experience claiming welfare/unemployment benefits seems to be ingrained in the Canadian national psyche. Many seem to think its perfectly acceptable to work six months in the summer and then take off surfing or skiing while claiming EI. Nobody bats an eyelid and when you bring it up, you seem to get the same answer, "its always been done like that." No wonder the taxes are high here.

Last edited by Oink; Feb 20th 2013 at 7:13 pm.
Old Feb 20th 2013, 7:11 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

The boarders have been opened, the country diluted and island is full to capacity. Each generation of kids is worse than the last, crapping out even more kids at a younger and younger ages. The poor buggers have no chance.
Good on you mate. Get out of the UK before all those immigrants get in

What does the UK lead the world in now? Music? Culture? Science? Technology? I don't think so.
Yeah, Canada is well ahead on all those things. Honestly you are well out of the UK.
Old Feb 20th 2013, 7:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

ArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond repute

The reason why you are already getting into arguements isn't really because of the way you feel about Canada.

Everyone on here I am sure is delighted to read posts by someone who has made such a seamless transistion (of which you are in the few). People are upset at the way you talk about their home. The UK to you may be dirty and smelly and perhaps it might contain more 'anti social' little assholes, but you can't be quite so hateful of the motherland.

You can say I didn't like the UK it wasn't for me whereas Canada to me personally is the holy mecca.

Nothing wrong with the above statement!

The way you post about the UK isn't just hurtful to people who want to move back, it's hurtful to people who still live there and it's hurtful to people who are happily settled in Canada but still hold a special place in their heart for their home.
Old Feb 20th 2013, 7:21 pm
Get me out of here ...

jeannie in a bottle has a reputation beyond reputejeannie in a bottle has a reputation beyond reputejeannie in a bottle has a reputation beyond reputejeannie in a bottle has a reputation beyond reputejeannie in a bottle has a reputation beyond reputejeannie in a bottle has a reputation beyond reputejeannie in a bottle has a reputation beyond reputejeannie in a bottle has a reputation beyond reputejeannie in a bottle has a reputation beyond reputejeannie in a bottle has a reputation beyond reputejeannie in a bottle has a reputation beyond repute

I don't have any negatives to justify. The only complaints I have about canada is the food / housing / clothing is pricey, I can't find proper bacon and the bread is crap. ABSOLUTELY everything else about Canada is better than England. I'd rather lose an arm than go back to England.

You can throw stats about, G8 this, GDP that...but just ask yourself one simple question "Is the standard of life better here?". And for me, there is NO competition at all. Canada is better than anything I could have dreamed of.

The Uk really is a sinking ship. The boarders have been opened, the country diluted and island is full to capacity. Each generation of kids is worse than the last, crapping out even more kids at a younger and younger ages. The poor buggers have no chance.

I prefer to look at future accomplishments, not look at past. I'm 33 so I'm from the 2nd to last generation....and I know we were all thick. Most of my friends live on the welfare (and are happy about it), no job, no house and are miserable. What does the UK lead the world in now? Music? Culture? Science? Technology? I don't think so. As I said before, England was great at one point, but that time has long, long since gone.

I live in a national park so it is ridiculously clean. It's in the mountains so the air is fresh. I go out once or twice a week to the pub/club and I have never once seen a fight. There are miles and miles of open space between where I live and the nearest city. The people here are HORRIFIED by people on benefits, it's just not in their nature to claim welfare. So yes, I stick by my comment that compared to Canada, the UK is "Dirty, smelly, violent, crowded and poor"

And maybe YOU should stop assuming that just because you are living your "perfect life" that everyone else that comes to Canada should automatically achieve the same perfection. Also, not everyone that is unhappy is in a position to just up sticks and return home. That is a ridiculous assumption.

So, you avoid going back to the UK even for a family funeral. Words escape me.
Old Feb 20th 2013, 7:24 pm

Originally Posted by jeannie in a bottle
And maybe YOU should stop assuming that just because you are living your "perfect life" that everyone else that comes to Canada should automatically achieve the same perfection. Also, not everyone that is unhappy is in a position to just up sticks and return home. That is a ridiculous assumption.

So, you avoid going back to the UK even for a family funeral. Words escape me.
To be fair, the lad's from Cheshire, he'd be going back once a month because they're all on smack.
Old Feb 20th 2013, 7:25 pm
Get me out of here ...

Originally Posted by Oink
To be fair, the lad's from Cheshire, he'd be going back once a month because they're all on smack.
Old Feb 20th 2013, 7:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond repute

I applaud what you're saying, but I must note that you're taking your microcosmic view of living within a National Park (Banff? Jasper??) and blanketing the whole of Canada based on life in a National Park in one small part of Canada. Your lifestyle is the abnormality in Canada, I'd imagine, considering the majority of Canada's 33+ million population live in urban areas.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.